Bono knighted..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate1

War Child
Hi everyone i wanna stress how much Bono should be knighted cos he has done a hell of a lot for charity, probably more than most celebs put together!!!

While Bob Geldof has raised money once for Band aid and has been knighted!!! Bono has carried on the idea further why oh why!!!

Come on queen don't be stingey!!! lol. :|

Kate1 said:
While Bob Geldof has raised money once for Band aid

WHAT?! :eyebrow:

If I were you, I'd check up on my information, before making statements like that - Bob Geldorf has, ever since Live Aid, continued his work for Africa. Unfortunately he (or the problems in Africa, for that matter) doesn't get very much, nothing to be honest, attention these days... :|

An Irish citizen *can* be knighted. Bob Geldof is an Irish citizen. You *do* have to be a British citizen to be called "Sir", which is why Geldof officially can't be called "Sir". Neither can Rudolph Giuliani, who was knighted in early 2002. It's potentially a delicate situation. Some Irish citizens, and I believe Bono is one of them, would rather not have a British knighthood. For the "why" of this matter.....I think that is a FYM topic because it's got alot of politics and controversy in it.

Last edited:
I thought Bob Geldof was knighted in the 80's. Anyone can be knighted, but as Verte said, not everyone can use the title and be called Sir. :hmm: What is it for women? Dame?

I totally agree with Verte that this should be an FYM topic. I don't know that much about to even begin a discussion. I'm sure the people of FYM would do a much better job.

Last edited:
I believe Keith Richards was also on the list to be knighted and he said no to it and as everybody knows he got really pissed off when Mick said yes. Mick is great but Keith rules! :cool:

I don't really care for this one. But to tell you the truth I prefer that Bono doesn't get knighted. Why? I don't know.... :| But I think it's definitely going to happen some time in the future even though Bono has said some nasty things about the British like during Sunday Bloody Sunday on the R&H documentary...

when you get knighted but you're not a British citiizen, it's called an Honourary Knighthood

as mentioned earlier, you can't use the title 'Sir', and you don't get the traditional ceremony with the queen 'dubbing' you on the shoulder with a sword

While, I think anyone who is pure Irish would have some issues with British traditions that uphold the "old" ways. Being knighted would be an honor, but I'm sure Bono would perfer the Brits to just give more money to Africa instead.

Personally, I think Bono should hold out to become a Lord!!!! :D

madonna's child said:
While, I think anyone who is pure Irish would have some issues with British traditions that uphold the "old" ways. Being knighted would be an honor, but I'm sure Bono would perfer the Brits to just give more money to Africa instead.

Personally, I think Bono should hold out to become a Lord!!!! :D

I agree!!! Bono should be a lord!!!
Well i have to agree with Bono about the Bloody Sunday, i think the british were HORRIBLE to treat the Irish like that.

Im not Irish but Welsh.

Who the hell do the british think they were doing throwing their weight around, tring to take their own land off them.

YES BEFORE YOU SAY I KNOE N.IRELAND IS ARES. :huh:

PennyPyro said:
nasty things about the British on Sunday Bloody Sunday? I must have missed that part.

I can't tell if this is meant in a sarcastic tone or not.

But if you are serious and aren't sure about the meaning behind the song then a movie like Bloody Sunday, that was released just last year, would do anyone who doesnt' know the background behind the song a lot of good. It's an incredible movie and I wish I would have had time to watch it more than once when I rented it a few months ago. It ends with an amazing live version of the song at the end of the movie and that brought so much more understanding to me for both the movie and the song. It's definitely worth it to try to find it to watch.

Of course im not being sarcastic!!! Im serious!!!

I have actually seen a Bloody Sunday movie, the one with James Nesbit in it. I was murtified!!!

I have also studied Bloody Sunday in GCSE History, where i had to create a piece of coursework about the effects the British forces had in both Britain and Ireland. I found it DISSCUSTING, AND HORRIFING.

So i do know the back ground to the song. :|

Kate1 said:
Of course im not being sarcastic!!! Im serious!!!

I have actually seen a Bloody Sunday movie, the one with James Nesbit in it. I was murtified!!!

I have also studied Bloody Sunday in GCSE History, where i had to create a piece of coursework about the effects the British forces had in both Britain and Ireland. I found it DISSCUSTING, AND HORRIFING.

So i do know the back ground to the song. :|

um....so are you PennyPyro now? That's who I quoted. NOT YOU. :|

I'd just as soon not see him knighted. The whole knighthood thing is ridiculous and archaic. He'd just end up getting a lot of flack for it from the Irish people and probably from a lot of other folks too. I don't mind him getting flack if he's doing things that are worthwhile, like his work with AIDS and Africa, but for something as meaningless as a knighthood it doesn't seem worth it.

Bob Geldof's "Sir" isn't official; it's a colloquial reference to the fact that he got knighted. I'd just as soon Bono didn't get knighted myself--he'd catch too much flack for something that really isn't that important.

Bono's shades said:
I'd just as soon not see him knighted. The whole knighthood thing is ridiculous and archaic. He'd just end up getting a lot of flack for it from the Irish people and probably from a lot of other folks too. I don't mind him getting flack if he's doing things that are worthwhile, like his work with AIDS and Africa, but for something as meaningless as a knighthood it doesn't seem worth it.

I agree with you on this. It seems like an old and pointless tradition. Pompous at that. Even if it were offered to Bono, I would hope he would turn it down.

Back
Top Bottom