Bono is missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
My kitty Bono

bawling2.gif

bonothekitten.jpg

:heart:

It's like I was saying before, there is no such thing as NEVER getting outside. My husband left for work early this morning and didn't shut the back door all the way and the cats got out. I found the others but not Bono. :( There was only about a 5-10 time lapse from when he left and I got up, and I don't know where he could have gone so fast. I've checked under the house and walked around shaking food and yelling for him. The creep across the street was out this morning and I hope he didn't get him. Please send good vibes for Bono to still be around and find his way home :(

awwwww :hug: :hug: :hug:

don't worry, he is going to come back!! i got many cats, and well, i was like you, as soon as one was missing, i was like :crazy: but don't worry, he will find his way back, cats are really clever.... i ma sure he misses you already :heart:

i'd like to help u to find it back!! but i am too far :sad:

Thanks Miss-U2 :hug:

It was good luck to post it here, because I did just find him! :) After looking all over for more than 3 hours, I posted this then went back outside again. I saw another cat under an old broken down car and I looked to see if it was him. It wasn't, but he was under there too, way back, all buried in leaves and dirt. He was shaking, and shivering shivering and his white fur was so dirty! He never goes out so he was afraid. I'm so glad I found him before something bad happened.

U2Kitten, I'm so glad you found your cat! The first note in this thread really scared me! My sister had a nightmare with her cat in New York City! The cat got out and she's a house cat! Fortunately they found her but not before some heavy duty nervous system overloads occurred.

Aww thanks Miss U2.I hope you get another kitty to love in your life again someday:hug:

Thanks Verte:hug: I'm so glad your sister found her cat! A housecat lost in NYC, :yikes: how scary! A cat I used to have got loose in a motel parking lot one time, I was terrified! I got some other people to corner him around a car with me or it could have been disaster as close to the highway as it was! I hope your sister and I won't have any more scary and worrysome cat escapes! :scream:

My sister seriously thought she was losing it when the cat got out! She called us up and was freaking out! Fortunately the cat was found by some nice neighbors around the corner soon after that, but it was Lower Manhattan, a terrible place to lose a cat! Now she won't let the cat get near the door. She's in Brooklyn now, which is safer, but still.........you don't want your house cat out around there. :yikes: :yikes:

Awwww lucky you found him U2kitten. :hug:
I lost my kitty Stella in June, poor Stella was a victim of divorce. I had to leave the home where I was living with my ex suddenly and when I went back to find Stella, Stella was gone :sad: I have gone back to my old home so many times, but I have never found her. I even asked the new renters just a few weeks ago, but they say they have never seen her. Stella was such a cool cat, and good friends with my dog Baci. We miss her! :(
One day I will get another kitty to be friends with Baci tho :)

Michelle I'm so glad you found Bono!!!!!! Pleassssse be more careful not to let him out. Is he microchipped?

:heart: Happy Endings :heart:

Good to hear you found your cat, Michelle. :).

Kinda reminds me of the time my family lost our dog. We'd taken her outside so she could do her business and stuff, and then I went to bring her back in later, and couldn't find her anywhere. It eventually got to the point where my dad was driving around the neighborhood looking for her. We finally found her-turns out some creeps across the street, for some inane reason, thought they'd try and take her. Luckily, my mom noticed them carrying her and went up to them and explained she'd been looking for the dog, and the people made up some lame story about how they'd thought that she was a stray dog or something, and that's why they were holding her and were going to take her back to their home...I dunno...they were weird. Anyway, yeah, we found her, thankfully, which was good, 'cause my mom in particular adored her and was going crazy when she was missing.

I hear stories on the radio on occasion about missing pets. I feel so bad for the owners then, as well as the animals themselves, particularly if the weather's bad or something...the poor things.

Anywho, so...yeah, glad you found your kitty (didn't know its name was Bono, by the way...cute!).

Angela

I have heard the chips work very well. I still need to get one for my dog. I went to the vet to get it for him once, but they were sold-out of the chips :huh:

There was such a wonderful story on the news a few months ago. A family lost their cat when they moved into a new house like 10 years ago. Well it must have either lived out on its own or maybe adopted a new home.. in any case it somehow ended up back at the humane society recently and when they scanned for a microchip, the original owners information came up. They called them and told them they had their cat and they were like "what? we dont have a cat.. " lol. The husband went down to check it out and it was his cat from TEN years ago! They live in a city near me and kitty is back with them at home and everyone is happy :)

Both of mine are microchipped. And if they were outside cats (which they would never be) I'd have collars and ID tags on them too. I just dont like collars much because they are dangerous. Have heard too many stories of cats choking themselves or the collars getting caught on things causing harm to the cats.

It's really cheap, costs like $30 to do and is a very simple and quick procedure.

Thanks girls :hug:

Verte I hope your sister's cat doesn't get out anymore either. Angela I'm glad you got your dog back, no telling what might have happened with those people. It's such a terrible feeling when they're missing.

U2SJ I'm sorry you didn't find your kitty:( I hope she's okay somewhere with somebody and you get your new kitty sometime.
Thanks Souly:)

Sicy, I try so hard not to let him out, but my stupid husband was in a bad mood this morning because it was so cold and I guess he locked the door before he shut it and when he slammed it, the piece of metal in the doorknob lock was stuck out and hit the side of the door and it bounced out. The door was wide open for about 5-10 minutes :yikes: before I got up, the cats got out and anyone could have come in! Now I'm always going to be sure the door is shut behind him. I get so afraid to even go anywhere when he's home because he does shit like that and doesn't care. I hope to get my cats microchipped as soon as I can. But in my neighborhood with all the creeps who hurt them it wouldn't do any good but to find the body :sad: so I will do it in case they get lost anywhere and I'll try to keep them away from all the asses.

It was a lot of worry, and I thought of a lot of sad stories that happened before too:|

Everybody go hug your animals:heart:

I'm glad Bono kitty is safe :hug:

I read this thread at work and at first I was like "oh no!" :sad:
We used to have a cat before Worf that always tried to escape when someone opened the door. The cat would never go far, just go out and run under the car, but we always had to guard the door when we came back from grocery shopping :huh:

Worf has never tried to get out - if the doors open, she just sniffs at the air :lol: - but we still try to be careful though

I'm sorry about your kitty U2SJ :sad: :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks U2kitten and kelly :hug:

I was disturbed by an article in the SJ Mercury today, this wouldn't have happened if the dog would have had a microchip, or atleast a collar :(
I can't believe the people that adopted him won't give Bella back to her real owner. Im sure the dog misses his family of the last 2 years :(
What do you guys think? Here in San Jose people are outraged and she should give the dog back!

Valley barking over tale of lost pet
HUNDREDS SAY NEW OWNER SHOULD GIVE UP ADOPTED DOG
By Connie Skipitares
Mercury News

Special to the Mercury News

Bella, a golden retriever escaped her San Jose yard and was later found and placed in a stray-dog kennel and adopted by another family.

If you took a dog home from the Humane Society -- and then its rightful owner turned up -- would you give it back?

Six times in the past three years at Santa Clara County's Humane Society, the adoptive owner returned the animal in just such a circumstance.

But Monday, dog lovers sent hundreds of e-mails and made dozens of phone calls to the Humane Society, the Mercury News and a local radio show in protest of the latest incident.

The new owners of Bella, a 2-year-old golden retriever, say they're keeping her. And the Humane Society insists there is nothing it can do.

``We continue to side with the law,'' said Laura Fulda of Humane Society Silicon Valley. ``You can't just say `Anything goes.' ''

When owner Niki Karanastasis showed up at the agency's Santa Clara shelter Jan. 8 -- hours after the dog's adoption was arranged -- Fulda said, officials called the new owner. But she was not interested in giving up the dog. Later, a friend of Karanastasis' appealed by phone, but to no avail. The new owner took Bella home the next day.

The Humane Society is not releasing the new owner's name because of privacy concerns but said she is from Los Gatos and has a 10-year-old daughter, who was to received Bella for her birthday.

Fulda said the agency won't call the woman again. ``Once you've made a decision, you can't keep hounding them,'' she said.

Meanwhile, on phone circuits and across cyberspace, Silicon Valley raged over the tale of a dog gone. Some said they would stop supporting the agency.

The emotional pitch resembled that after Silicon Valley's other canine tragedy -- the February 2000 death of Leo, the bichon frise thrown into traffic after a fender-bender.

``Dogs are like family to those who have them. They're like children,'' said Elyse Maltz of Pleasanton. ``If you lost your child in a store, would someone else take it and say `It's mine'? I think this is horrible. She needs to give that dog back.''

The dust-up became fodder for Monday afternoon radio. DJ Raffi Nalvarian, ``King Raffi'' of San Jose's Mix 106.5 (KEZR-FM), said Bella's story infuriated him and he urged listeners to call. More than 100 did.

``For over an hour, it was pedal to the metal over this story,'' Nalvarian said. ``People are furious. They think it's cold that this new owner would keep the dog. She should give it back.''

Some who e-mailed the Mercury News wanted to start a fund to help buy Karanastasis another dog, if she wants one, or to hire a lawyer to fight the adoption. Karanastasis says she's appreciative but doesn't want a new dog. She wants Bella.

``People have been wonderful in supporting me,'' she said. ``But I don't know if that's going to bring my Bella back. I know if I had a tag on her, it would have made all the difference.''

The agency holds dogs for five days before adoption. But dogs with ID tags are held for 10 days.

Karanastasis and friends had checked the Humane Society shelter for Bella three times between the dog's Jan. 2 disappearance and Jan. 7 but had no success.

On Jan. 8, the San Jose hairdresser found Bella in a cage there, but her joy quickly turned to sorrow when Humane Society officials said Bella had a new owner, arranged just that morning.

Monday, Fulda reiterated the Humane Society's apology and said she doesn't know why Bella wasn't seen by Karanastasis' friends before Jan. 8.

``I would hope this would be a wake-up call to ID your pets, either with a tag or a microchip, and to get them licensed,'' said Christine Benninger, president of the Humane Society Silicon Valley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U2SJ said:
On Jan. 8, the San Jose hairdresser found Bella in a cage there, but her joy quickly turned to sorrow when Humane Society officials said Bella had a new owner, arranged just that morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goodness, the dog hadn't even been picked up by the new owner yet and the new owner still wouldn't let the woman have her dog back. I mean, it's not like her 10 year old had even bonded with Bella yet - and even if she had, this would have been a good lesson to teach the child about helping others, and sometimes having to sacrifice for the good of other people, etc.

This is so :sad:

This does teach the importance of tags and microchips :(

This story almost doesn't surprise me due to the popularity of Goldens and the rarity that they show up at shelters (my dad now has one, she was a lost dog too). Still, that's really rotten that they won't give her back :angry:

Microchips are great, you just have to remember that they don't keep animals from getting hit by cars or attacked by other animals. The other huge issue is that the chip won't do any good if it's not registered. When you go to get it, most vets give you a form that you need to send in to the microchipping company so that they have centralized info to match the chip number to your contact info.

At school, whenever stray dogs are brought in, we always scan them for a chip. Last one was a boxer hit by a car, had a chip but when we called the company they had very little info because th people never sent in the paperwork. Thankfully they were at least able to check shipping records to find which vet clinic the chip had been sent to originally. The vet clinic was able to search their computer system for 'Boxer' breed and figured out the owner. If it had been a mixed breed dog, they probably never would have figured it out.

Glad Bono is back home :heart:

First thing I did when I received the form from the shelter for Saki was fill it out and send it in :up:

Zoey I got at the pound and she was already microchipped, they just changed the information in their computer to mine right there before I left.

It's really sad about the dog.. I'm watching it on the news now :(

I'm sorry the person didn't get Bella back, that's awful :( but at least she got a new home and lived. I have heard too many sad stories about someone going to the pound looking for their dog and finding out he was put down already :mad: :( One person was furious because he even had an ad in the paper with the dog's pic! Most pounds are so anxious to despose of animals they don't look and they don't care. It's so sad. I wish I could go on a Bonolike crusade for animals:(

I know what you mean, Michelle. I think it's our local shelter that does this-any dogs they find, they take them in...but put them to sleep 3 days later if they aren't claimed in that amount of time (and one of those three days is the very first day they get there-they count that in with the three days). If you ask me, I think that's really stupid. It should be a little longer. What if, for example, a family had gone somewhere for a week or something, and their pet had somehow gotten loose, but they were not home to claim it-by the time they get back, their pet would be dead.

My dad told me about a shelter in a nearby town, though, that takes in strays, but never puts them to sleep if nobody claims them in x amount of time. If nobody claims them, then the animals become pets of the shelter, and they stay there for the rest of their lives, and they're taken care of and everything. That's pretty cool.

U2Kitten said:
Angela I'm glad you got your dog back, no telling what might have happened with those people. It's such a terrible feeling when they're missing.

It sure is. I particularly hated seeing my mom so upset.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
U2SJ I'm sorry you didn't find your kitty:( I hope she's okay somewhere with somebody and you get your new kitty sometime.

Ditto.

Originally posted by kellyahern
My goodness, the dog hadn't even been picked up by the new owner yet and the new owner still wouldn't let the woman have her dog back. I mean, it's not like her 10 year old had even bonded with Bella yet - and even if she had, this would have been a good lesson to teach the child about helping others, and sometimes having to sacrifice for the good of other people, etc.

This is so :sad:

This does teach the importance of tags and microchips :(

I agree.

I had never heard of these chip things until now. They're of no use to my family, since we have no pets at this time (that whole thing with my dog happened a long time ago. She died a good number of years back-old age and all (she lived to be 17 years old)). But they do seem like an interesting idea.

Angela

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
My dad told me about a shelter in a nearby town, though, that takes in strays, but never puts them to sleep if nobody claims them in x amount of time. If nobody claims them, then the animals become pets of the shelter, and they stay there for the rest of their lives, and they're taken care of and everything. That's pretty cool.

Yes it is! :) I wish all pounds could be that way.

Moonlit_Angel said:

:yes:. So do I. It'd be cool to work at a place like that, taking care of all those sweet little animals and everything.

Angela

I could never work there....I'd adopt them all! I can't even go to the grocery store without coming back with another baby guinea pig.

Back
Top Bottom