Bono Is Back In Germany This Week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Here's the latest from u2tour.de:

http://u2tour.de/

It looks like Bono will be back in Germany this week on Monday and Tuesday (14 & 15 May).

On Monday, he meets with Chancellor Angela Merkel again (and give a brief press conference) and on Tuesday, Bono along with Bob Geldof and Herbert Gronemeyer will release the latest DATA Report just three weeks before the G8 summit in Germany.

If anyone can add any additional info to my German translation, please feel free to do so! :wink:

And look forward to a lot of photo ops (pictures) and video clips of Bono over the next few days!

:bonodrum: :hi5:

mysterious_jen said:
:dancing: yayyyy
damm i wish i was in europe ...

Me too, mysterious jen. :wink:

Here is the caption that goes with those pictures from Getty (now on Yahoo also):

Kurt Beck (L), chairman of the German Social Democratic Party (SPD) and Bono, Irish lead singer of the band U2 stand in front of a statue of late German Chancellor and SPD leader Willy Brandt at the party's headquarters in Berlin May 14, 2007. Beck and Bono met to discuss debt cancelation for developing countries.

Now it's on to talk with Chancellor Angela Merkel in a few hours for Bono.

Anyone who can post pictures, please feel free to do so, some of these pics are priceless - classic Bono!

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thanks, Jamila, I was just about to post this!
Seems that Bono is busy in Berlin these two days. He's supposed to have a press conference today after meeting chancellor Merkel and tomorrow, alsong with Bob Geldof and German singer Herbert Groenemeyer, to present the latest DATA report.
Thank you for the picture link! Bono's looking fine and it's great to see him back on his mission. :up:

last unicorn, I actually saw this info last night online and waited until this morning to post it, thinking that someone else would jump on this info immediately. :sexywink:

When I saw that no one had posted it by this morning, I did.

But any info that you find out about these activities over the next few days, please feel free to post it here. You live much closer to all these activities than I do. :)

:bonodrum: :hug:

Of course, I follow it closely, I just did not have internet access yesterday and this morning, otherwise I would have shared it earlier.

We look forward to you and our other friends in Europe, last unicorn, to help us with as much info on this trip as possible. :wink:

Hopefully, Vincent Vega will also pop in here today. I'd love to know how the European media is covering this.

last unicorn - :dance:

:up: Thank you greety.

The U2:3D movie will be shown on May 19 in Cannes. There is a thread about this in EYKIW. At least Bono will be there to present the movie. I hope the rest of the band will be there as well.

74141615.jpg

74141659.jpg

Last edited:
JCOSTER, thank you for the pictures!
But I think the first picture is from Dublin (Frontline Awards).

And Lobe: You're not alone, he doesn't come to Austria either.

If he should decide to come there someday nevertheless, I would show him around our beautiful city.

I remember last year Bob Geldof was in Vienna, and I missed him because I did not know he'd be coming. :|
He was in one of our most beautiful museums.

In about two weeks Bill Clinton will be here to talk about his AIDS charity. It's not sure whether he will stay for this year's Life Ball on May 24. The Life Ball is a massive event in Vienna. It's a big celebration of life held each year in our City Hall with a live catwalk show and all, to raise awareness and money for people suffering from HIV/AIDS all over the world.

There are always a lot of celebrities at the Life Ball.

I still dream of Bono being part of this show someday. If I meet him, I will ask him.

Last edited:
Just read about it :happy:

I think I will go to Mitte now, and skip macroeconomics tomorrow to spend my time there.

last unicorn said:

And Lobe: You're not alone, he doesn't come to Austria either.

If he should decide to come there someday nevertheless, I would show him around our beautiful city.

I remember last year Bob Geldof was in Vienna, and I missed him because I did not know he'd be coming. :|
He was in one of our most beautiful museums.

In about two weeks Bill Clinton will be here to talk about his AIDS charity. It's not sure whether he will stay for this year's Life Ball on May 24. The Life Ball is a massive event in Vienna. It's a big celebration of life held each year in our City Hall with a live catwalk show and all, to raise awareness and money for people suffering from HIV/AIDS all over the world.

There are always a lot of celebrities at the Life Ball.

I still dream of Bono being part of this show someday. If I meet him, I will ask him.

You are correct, Lobe, the first picture posted was from the Frontline Awards a few weeks back in Dublin.

The last two pictures are from today. :applaud:

There are some more great pics in Getty Images to be posted - including one of Bono trying to :hi5: a statue of Willy Brandt!

It's priceless. :lmao:

Thanks. It's a pity there is no information when where what exactly happens, i.e. if he will be outside at some time, or if the press conferences and the presentation of the DATA report will be public and where exactly. :(
I will try my best. :)

last unicorn said:

:yes:

This one's funny:

Berlin14.jpg

BERLIN - MAY 14: Musician Bono (R) tries to shakes hands with the Willy Brandt statue at the Social Democrats Party (SPD) headquarter,

^:lol: He always has his humour!
Don't worry B, you're not the only one who's too small to reach the hands of this guy.

Is it just me or does Bono have more and darker hair again (oh yes, this never ending hair issue, I know :wink:)

And Vincent: I think the meeting with Angela Merkel is going on right now, maybe the best thing you can do is wait for him to come out. I keep my fingers crossed for you!

For tomorrow, the DATA press conference is scheduled for 11:30, where exactly I don't know. Maybe check out data.org?!

greety said:

:yes:

This one's funny:

Berlin14.jpg

BERLIN - MAY 14: Musician Bono (R) tries to shakes hands with the Willy Brandt statue at the Social Democrats Party (SPD) headquarter,

:giggle: Love it! Thanks for the pics!

last unicorn said:
^:lol: He always has his humour!
Don't worry B, you're not the only one who's too small to reach the hands of this guy.

Is it just me or does Bono have more and darker hair again (oh yes, this never ending hair issue, I know :wink:)

And Vincent: I think the meeting with Angela Merkel is going on right now, maybe the best thing you can do is wait for him to come out. I keep my fingers crossed for you!

For tomorrow, the DATA press conference is scheduled for 11:30, where exactly I don't know. Maybe check out data.org?!

The meeting with Merkel is scheduled for 15:30 German time, which is very soon. :wink:

For the best info on all the happenings in Germany, Vincent, I think the best place to try to get some current info would be from the good folks at Deine Stimme Gegun Armut (Your Voice Against Poverty).

I would either email them or call them. :up:

Jamila said:

The meeting with Merkel is scheduled for 15:30 German time, which is very soon. :wink:

For the best info on all the happenings in Germany, Vincent, I think the best place to try to get some current info would be from the good folks at Deine Stimme Gegun Armut (Your Voice Against Poverty).

I would either email them or call them. :up:

actually, that was 50 minutes ago... so I hope Vincent is there now :)

:grumpy: Holland is part of the G8, but does Bono ever come to our country???

Last edited:
From the International Herald Tribune:

U2's Bono urges Germany to use upcoming G-8 meeting to push for help for Africa

BERLIN: Irish singer-activist Bono on Monday urged Germany to use next month's Group of Eight meeting as a platform to push for more aid for Africa.

Speaking after talks with Kurt Beck, the leader of Germany's Social
Democrats, which make up half of Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition, Bono said he was thankful the G-8 talks were being held here.

"We know that we have your support and that Germany will keep its
promises," Bono said.

The 47-year-old frontman for the band U2 said important breakthroughs for Africa had come at previous G-8 talks, including pledges to forgive much African debt from last year's summit and funding for important programs from the 1999 meeting in Cologne.

"As a result of the (Cologne) resolutions today 20 million more
African children are going to school," he said.

Merkel has pledged a strong focus on Africa at next month's summit,
being held in the northern town of Heiligendamm.

"We know that we can really help with our resources ... and we want to
show to this continent our understanding of freedom, justice and
solidarity is not limited to us, but goes for the whole world," she
said over the weekend in her weekly podcast. She identified as key points continuing efforts to forgive debt and increase development aid funds, and helping the fight against HIV/AIDS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can go to the links above that I gave and find out more about the G8 countries and how they revolve leadership within the organization.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom