Bono in Switzerland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
love2bmama said:
doh! I didn't even think about the fact that it could be an old photo.

It's good to know you're on the case, too, JC! Between us we're sure to track the boy down, bwa ha ha :mac:

We will know soon enough my precious where he is. :wink:

I heard that Bono is expected in Davos on Friday. I hope there will be a live stream online of the talks he's taking part in.

last unicorn said:
I heard that Bono is expected in Davos on Friday. I hope there will be a live stream online of the talks he's taking part in.

really? that'd be great! finally something in my timezone I can see :giggle:

and Oct, that pic is from 2005 I think, last year he wore the denim jacket while presenting Product (RED)

Aw, this sounds like nobody wants to ogle him! :wink: I'd be glad to volunteer for duty! And the source name has me cracked up...dishing the dirt indeed!

Tittle-Tattle Too
Dishing Hollywood Dirt Daily

Angelina Jolie And Brad Pitt Not Welcome At World Economic Forum
By Toshiba Reynolds
Jan 25, 2007
It would appear that organizers of the World Economic Forum regret inviting Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to last year's event in Davos, Switzerland. We came across this tidbit from a local Swiss newspaper called the Basellandschaftliche Zeitung as translated by Celebitchy.

The organizers were apparently upset last year because everyone paid attention to the genetically perfect couple and no one reported on the important issues that were being covered. As a result, they're only inviting Bono and all the other so-called paparazzi-targets will not be welcome.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21260932.shtml

Jeannieco said:
Since when is Bono not a paparazzi-target?

I think they mean he is a paparazzi target, since they said that no 'other' targets will be invited, not that no paparazzi targets will be invited.

Bono Mot said:
Aw, this sounds like nobody wants to ogle him! :wink: I'd be glad to volunteer for duty! And the source name has me cracked up...dishing the dirt indeed!

Tittle-Tattle Too
Dishing Hollywood Dirt Daily

Angelina Jolie And Brad Pitt Not Welcome At World Economic Forum
By Toshiba Reynolds
Jan 25, 2007
It would appear that organizers of the World Economic Forum regret inviting Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to last year's event in Davos, Switzerland. We came across this tidbit from a local Swiss newspaper called the Basellandschaftliche Zeitung as translated by Celebitchy.

The organizers were apparently upset last year because everyone paid attention to the genetically perfect couple and no one reported on the important issues that were being covered. As a result, they're only inviting Bono and all the other so-called paparazzi-targets will not be welcome.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21260932.shtml

I don't know if the not inviting the Brangelina is correct--but the part about last years news coverage sure was!:madspit:

kimby said:

I don't know if the not inviting the Brangelina is correct--but the part about last years news coverage sure was!:madspit:

The not inviting part is correct. I saw this mentioned in the New York Times a couple of days ago (which had a nice pic of Bono, Gates and Blair that Id' not seen before.) . They quoted one of the organizers as saying that all of the Brangelina fuss had sent the wrong message relating to what Davos is about, so they were going to dim the star wattage and Bono would have to "twinkle" on his own.

biff said:

The not inviting part is correct. I saw this mentioned in the New York Times a couple of days ago (which had a nice pic of Bono, Gates and Blair that Id' not seen before.) . They quoted one of the organizers as saying that all of the Brangelina fuss had sent the wrong message relating to what Davos is about, so they were going to dim the star wattage and Bono would have to "twinkle" on his own.

Thanks!

I remember the coverage from last year...I don't mind Brad and Angelina, but all you heard about in the Davos coverage was the Bradgelina baby bump, particularly from the entertaintment news programs (and not one word about *why* they were there :mad: )! Would a few seconds about the why have been so much to ask for?

biff said:

Bono twinkles on his own for sure!!! Plus he lets people photograph him and doesn't try to hide. Brad & whats her name try sometimes not to get their picture taken. :shrug:

biff said:

:up: the boy sure has that covered, he does just fine twinkling on his own, thankyouverymuch!

I can't even begin to enumerate the differences between Bono and Brangelina, so I'll just :silent:

:hmm: Well, then, if he's the only one there to "twinkle" maybe we'll get loads of pictures....

So far, this is the only "official" (from DATA) report on Bono in Davos that I've seen:

BONO COMMENT ON CHANCELLOR MERKEL'S SPEECH AT DAVOS

Bono, U2 singer and founder of the Africa advocacy group DATA, today responded to Chancellor Merkel's speech in Davos in which she said a major goal of the German G8 meeting in June would be to integrate Africa more fully into the global economy: "Chancellor Merkel understands that Africans can pull themselves out of poverty and win the fight against corruption. But they cannot do this alone. At the G8 this year, we believe Germany will bring its unique talents to bear on poverty and AIDS in Africa. It will be tough to find the cash, but it is possible and it has been promised, both to the German public and to Africa's poor. "

How well are the G8 countries keeping their promises to Africa? go to: www.thedatareport.org

http://www.data.org/archives/000818.php

DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) promotes awareness and action to fight poverty and AIDS in Africa.
www.data.org

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

From everything I have read (discounting the entertainment junk that I don't read) Brad and Angelina are very sincere in their efforts, and Brad Pit has been high profile in support of the One Campaign. :up:
Unfortunately whenever they try to go to events like the WEF the entertainment media & papparazzi turn into a free for all for pics.
I'm sure it's really fustrating for them. It's sad really because I think they want to spend their celebrity for the benefit of humanity, also. I hope they continue trying.:heart:

sue4u2 said:
From everything I have read (discounting the entertainment junk that I don't read) Brad and Angelina are very sincere in their efforts, and Brad Pit has been high profile in support of the One Campaign. :up:
Unfortunately whenever they try to go to events like the WEF the entertainment media & papparazzi turn into a free for all for pics.
I'm sure it's really fustrating for them. It's sad really because I think they want to spend their celebrity for the benefit of humanity, also. I hope they continue trying.:heart:
I agree, but I remember very well that I was personally quite upset by the amount of tabloid-style news coverage that was surrounding "Brangelina's" visit to Davos last year. This simply cannot be tolerated since the WEF is not an award show or some sort of celebrity circus, but a very profilic and important political summit. It's sad that the majority of news coming out of this event were related in some way or the other to the celebrity couple and their newborn child. I understand that the organisers are trying to avoid this from happening again by not inviting them. That does not mean that they should not continue to do their work.
On the other hand, Bono is so much more than just a celebrity. I think it simply speaks for him that he, after all, is still invided to Davos. He is taken very seriously as a political activist and is seen as a major player in the field. And let's be honest: Bono is not really of great interest for tabloids and paparazzi, so I guess they'll be a little frustrated this year.
And it's all good, because Davos has become too much a celebrity thing in recent years.

^Very cool! I'll *never* be able to do the math to figure out what time that is here, though! :reject: Thanks hcbiggs!

Bono has arrived in Davos. There was an article in the BBC Davos 2007 blog. It said he tried to skip the queue at the security control :giggle: but was stopped and had to get back into the queue again. He tried to charm the female guard into letting him through, but apparently it didn't work.
Good to hear that the same measures apply to everyone after all.

time difference should be minus 9 hours (hope I'm right).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom