Bono in NYC with an eye patch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Don't remember what I wore in 2002, probably athletic shoes or maybe even winter boots since it was December and we were outside all night. Not sure what Bono was wearing then either. He was on his way to a church service, so not the usual concert outfit. On May 20, I want to say he was wearing sandals, not those giant black shoes. I wore athletic shoes. We were basically eye level. He wasn't shorter than me. Here he is about 4 inches in front of me:
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/U2September20/photos/photo4.jpg

And here is Larry, and inch or so taller than me after his 2-inch shoes:
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/U2September20/photos/photo45.jpg

From the recent band pics I can find, Larry looks to be maybe an inch shorter than Bono at most, but sometimes they look the same height.

Laura and Bono about three feet in front of my camera. Laura is 6'1" I think (maybe 6'2"?):
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/ChicagoII/photos/photo60.jpg

Those are great pics, thanks!

biff said:
So Julie, you're saying he's about 5'2" or 5'3"?

Ah, the eternal mystery of the Bono-height.:wink:

5'2"?!??! No fucking way! My vote goes to 5'6", so 5'7"-8" with the shoes. This is based on me knowing my height for certain from being measured three seperate times last year at the doctor's (sick for a looong time, had lots of check-ups) and my experience standing next to Bono within the past 6 months.

Also, I've seen the shoes many times and I don't think they are three full inches thick. That's almost the width of a balance beam! I'd say 1.5" at most, which to me is still very thick.

Miroslava said:
I am 5'10. So. :shrug:

I'd estimate him at 5'6"-5'7"

Having seen Miroslava and Bono on stage together, I would have to agree with her estimate. She is tall, and he didn't look very short while dancing next to her.

jobob said:

Having seen Miroslava and Bono on stage together, I would have to agree with her estimate. She is tall, and he didn't look very short while dancing next to her.

Agreed. Was there both times and have seen footage.

What makes Bono appear very short is that he has short legs and a stocky torso.

Exhibit A:

He's not all that much shorter than Laura (6'1"), but look how much longer her legs appear in comparison. Their knees are at the same level at the bottom of the photo.
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/ChicagoII/photos/photo50.jpg

biff said:

So speaks the gymnast, LOL!

(I would vote for 5'5" or 5'6", by the way.)

:lol: It's sad, really. Anytime I have to invision the height or width of something, it's in terms of the width of the beam if it's small (4 inches/10 cm), or the length of the vault runway (75 ft.). Also, you'd probably be impressed/frightened by how much geography and history, especially of the Communist regimes, I've learned from gymnastics rather than schooling. :D

you'd probably be impressed/frightened by how much geography and history, especially of the Communist regimes, I've learned from gymnastics rather than schooling. :D

That's actually really interesting. I'd love to hear more about that.

I definately think he's shorter IMO :shrug:

IMG_0028.jpg

I'm about 5'1" :shifty: I'm 4 people to the right of Bono in the beige pants and black t-shirt blocked by the pole :| wearing a wedge shoe

Last edited:
One thing to note about everyone saying that he was at eye level with them: Quite often I think I'm at eye level with someone and then if I see a picture of myself with them later on I realize how much taller they are than me :angry: It's probably just your perception that he is, but he's probably not :shrug: I'd say he's between 5'6 and 5'8" given everything we know about him.

caragriff said:

:wave:

i took that picture :)
nyu baby!
i would vote for 5'6 - 5'7

5'2" ?? no way. i'm 5' 5" and i really feel like he was taller than me....

:wave: :happy:

Definately not 5'2"

He's not all that much shorter than Laura (6'1"), but look how much longer her legs appear in comparison. Their knees are at the same level at the bottom of the photo.
http://www.dutchbingo.net/U2/albums/ChicagoII/photos/photo50.jpg

I do believe the angle of that photo is deceiving.
Many people who have met Bono say he's around 5' 4".
That said, there is no man taller than he...a giant in my book!

Val said:

I do believe the angle of that photo is deceiving.
Many people who have met Bono say he's around 5' 4".
That said, there is no man taller than he...a giant in my book!

How so? I took it straight-on, right between the two. Sure, it was pointed up a bit, but that wouldn't make one look disproportionately taller or shorter than the other since I was dead-center.

Seriously, if he was 5'4 I would have looked like a behemoth instead of just giantish. And yes, he was wearing creepers and I flats, but as Lies said, they do not add 3 inches in height. I'd say at MOST 2. So I still stand that he's 5'6" to 5'7" au naturel plus whatever the creepers add up.

http://i3.tinypic.com/zsvf5v.jpg

http://i2.tinypic.com/zsvfc5.jpg

Now if we could get a picture of the eyepatch so we could get back on topic. :lol:

Miroslava said:
Seriously, if he was 5'4 I would have looked like a behemoth instead of just giantish. And yes, he was wearing creepers and I flats, but as Lies said, they do not add 3 inches in height. I'd say at MOST 2. So I still stand that he's 5'6" to 5'7" au naturel plus whatever the creepers add up.

you did not look giantish :madwife:

I do however like that picture of you putting the hat back on Bono - hat hair is never a pretty thing :wink:

as for Bono - I seem to remember an interview with Gavin Friday in which he stated Bono was 5'6"
(I can't remember where I left my car keys but I can pull seemingly useless information about u2 out of my head at a moments notice :huh: )

I also want eye patch evidence (I love nothing more than dorky Bono)

biff said:

That's actually really interesting. I'd love to hear more about that.

Hehe, well, first off I've seen pretty much every gymnastics meet televised in the States in the past 13 years. There's always a little segment about where the meet is being held. Then, there's always several segments about stand-out gymnasts. Since they're from other countries, these segments always include info about where the gymnast is from. For example, how many 21 year olds from the States that aren't actually into history or geography can name 10 cities in Romania? Or all of the countries that border Romania, what their political relationships were, and what Romanias main exports were/are? Everything I know about Ceausescu and his regime, I learned because Nadia Comaneci is my favorite gymnast (if you ever need to know anything about her, ask me because MOST of what is published about her in mainstream media is completely untrue. Her REAL story is quite amazing). Until very recently (1993), gymnastics and politics were inseperable. You could hedge your bets on who would win if you just considered the current state of world affairs and whether the competitior was Soviet, Romanian, East German, Czech, Japanese, Korean, etc. I remember in 1992, that was the last time the Soviets competed as the Unified Team. After that Olympics, gymnastics fans had to learn about the federations and national training programs in the Ukraine, Belarous, Uzbekistan. I remember watching old footage from the 1968 Olympics. Caslavska one a medal fair and square, but of course they gave a Soviet the tie, so Caslavka refused to watch the flags go up. I learned then about how the Soviet tanks invaded her country. She was opposed to communism and her career simply faded away because they denied her the right to travel after that display of disapproval.

Just things like that. I just retain it better when I can relate it to something that's important to me, something I know really well. I'm sure the same argument could be made for any sport, although I think it helps with gymnastics because it's largely individual. You know where the top 20 gymnast in each country were born, where they grew up, where they train now, and what implications that has on their level of technique, artistry, and overall potential.

Anyway, back to Bono and his eyepatch/height....

Miroslava said:
I am 5'10. So. :shrug:

I'd estimate him at 5'6"-5'7"

I have to go with Miro..I have had the man in from of me several times I'm 5'2 and Im always in 2 1/2 to 3 inch heels and standing right in front of Bono (esp during the Grammys) for quite a while he is taller than me (he had his creepers on of course)..I really looked at the diffrence w/creepers and all he was about 3 inches taller than my 5'4" height (with my heels)

And trust me I made it my assisgnment to stand next to him as much as I possibly could:shifty:

Oh and he smelled "DELISH">..:reject:

Back to topic...I guess the eye patch has to do with the swollen eye he sported at the one of the last speeches he gave...I hope his eye is better but I still would love to see a pic w/the eyepatch:hyper:

Last edited:
Had no idea that posting what I found on another website, would lead to a discussion about Bono's height.

Miroslava said:
So I still stand that he's 5'6" to 5'7" au naturel

Now if we could get a picture of the eyepatch so we could get back on topic. :lol:

If only I had known earlier that he was in SF, both things (height and eye patch) could have been solved.

I'm 5'6 au naturel.
Now do you think he would have said yes if I had ask him to have a picture taken of the both of us au naturel?

Au naturel meaning without shoes as in barefoot, of course! :wink:

BonoFox1 said:

Back to topic...I guess the eye patch has to do with the swollen eye he sported at the one of the last speeches he gave...I hope his eye is better but I still would love to see a pic w/the eyepatch:hyper:

hopefully even when his eye gets better Bono will keep wearing an eyepatch anyway. It's the right thing to do.

I have met and worked with Bono a few times. I'd say he's 5'6'' without the Creepers. My husband is the same height, so I know that height when I see it! :wink:

BonoFox1 said:
Back to topic...I guess the eye patch has to do with the swollen eye he sported at the one of the last speeches he gave...

His eye was not swollen. I was there at the speech and asked everyone else I knew who was and no one noticed a swollen eye. I think it was just a rumor started in one of the threads here. I guess it could look swollen in one of the pictures, but that's just because he's rubbing his face so his eye is half closed and there's a weird shadow from his shades. I'm not sure what the eyepatch thing is all about, but his eyes looked 100% like they always have, definitely NOT swollen.

Heightwise: He's not less than 5'6", I can tell you that. 5'4" and uinder is too short.Sure, he's a shrimp, but you have to remember Bono tends to slouch a lot. Dunno if anyone else notices that, but it would make a difference in how tall he appears to be.

biff said:
So Julie, you're saying he's about 5'2" or 5'3"?

Ah, the eternal mystery of the Bono-height.:wink:

Well lets put it this way he isnt any taller than 5ft 6 WITH THE SHOES!! I met him after the taping of Jonathan Ross show in London and when he put his arm around me I had to bend over sideways for the pic!! and I had flat shoes on.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom