Bono in Get Up, Stand Up on PBS Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FEELINNUMB

The Fly
FYI, Bono is part of the PBS Get Up, Stand Up special hosted by Chuck D. that premieres on YOUR local PBS station this Wednesday, Sept. 28. Here is the link to the page, I don't know if the other hotlinks have any Mr. B action, because I have dial up and don't have the time/patience to check now. They do have a piccie of him, and he is in very good company. I saw a promo for it last night, and quickly, they showed a clip of him at Live Aid and a shot from a current day interview.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/getupstandup/

Paul Robeson (Ol' Man River) :wink: John Lennon;) Marvin Gaye :hug: Bono

:yawn:

pbs_1.jpg

pbs_2.jpg

pbs_3.jpg

VertigoGal said:
I liked the show but there wasn't much in terms of Bono footage :wink:

and when they did do a piece on him at the end, he ended up coming off kind of bad in my opinion.

how so? i didnt think of it that way at all.. then again, i missed about 15 seconds trying to shut my dog up from barking... lol...

bono defended himself well. if you were listening to the fat guy at the end he also defended bono and bob saying that they were the ones that were getting things done meeting with doggy polititions and not carring if they look bad in a photo op. but cared if things were getting done. Bono is probably one of the most effective activists on that show and i think that is the point they were trying to get across. they could have made that clearer i guess, but thats what i got out of it

zooperson said:
bono defended himself well. if you were listening to the fat guy at the end he also defended bono and bob saying that they were the ones that were getting things done meeting with doggy polititions and not carring if they look bad in a photo op. but cared if things were getting done. Bono is probably one of the most effective activists on that show and i think that is the point they were trying to get across. they could have made that clearer i guess, but thats what i got out of it

Ditto. Besides, it also made an interesting point that sometimes no matter what you do, people will criticize you. Sometimes your political actions will come off wrong to some people. That happens. Best thing to do is just go on ahead.

I thought the documentary was quite interesting, too-I have much respect for the artists that were shown in the thing. May the ability to speak your mind and bring attention to various issues continue to be of importance :up:.

And some of the song clips...classic stuff. Great messages in there.

And yes, thanks for the caps, by the way :).

Angela

Did anyone else fall back in love with Sir Bob, too? :love:

Loved the history of the US labor movement via song, too. :up: Not something I know enough about.

"The fat guy" dissing Bono was Dave Marsh. Ignore him. He hasn't had a clue in a long, long time. :D

The documentary was made in 2003.

So I vote for the interview being done in early 2003 in the studios of Hanover Quay. You can easily see the Liffey in Bono's background.:hug:

I really hope that people really watched and listened to the entire program - from Joe Hill and Pete Seeger through Curtis Mayfield, Public Enemy and Sir Bob/Bono.

It was all important and showed that activism for social change through music certainly didn't start with SBS.

As much as we all love U2, they are just keepers of a tradition of socially responsible musicians - not the creators of that tradition.:ohmy:

And by giving Bono the last word on the program, Chuck D and the producers of the program were giving Bono and Bob the "thumbs up" for their brand of social activism through music.

Now folks know better where "Ol' Man River" comes from that Bono sings onstage.

Bono....:bono: :love:

Sherry Darling said:
Did anyone else fall back in love with Sir Bob, too? :love:

Loved the history of the US labor movement via song, too. :up: Not something I know enough about.

"The fat guy" dissing Bono was Dave Marsh. Ignore him. He hasn't had a clue in a long, long time. :D

:laugh:

THE FAT GUY!! I LOVE IT! And Sherry Darling, you couldn't be more right about Dave Marsh somewhere in the world, some poor horse has to shit through his ear, because his ASS is sitting on a sofa being interviewed....

I loved the subject matter, of course, and there was a lot of footage in there that's precious, but I wasn't thrilled with the piece as a whole - but what I was less thrilled with above all was Bono having to defend himself at all, especially against the likes of that dickhead Marsh and those two twats from Chumbawamba -- people like that really need to scrub the toilet in a homeless shelter, bloody made-of-cake, self-loving, condescending, self-described, precious capital "L" liberals, I have no more use for them than I do the fascists...:rant:

OOPS! Sorry kids!:wave:

And, as you can imagine, I adore Sir Bob too! In fact, Dave Marsh first lost me big time by coming out against Live Aid as if it was one of the worst things to happen since the Holocaust.

FEELINNUMB said:

And Sherry Darling, you couldn't be more right about Dave Marsh somewhere in the world, some poor horse has to shit through his ear, because his ASS is sitting on a sofa being interviewed....

:lmao:

Holy :censored: that was funny!

caragriff said:
who is dave marsh?
what is he "famous" for?
i missed this show, but will look forward to seeing it, even if it includes bono-bashing.

YES, I KNOW I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING, WHO ARE YOU TO REMIND ME????:)

I can't resist this -- Dave Marsh wrote for Rolling Stone in the 70s; he had a lot of access, a lot of bylines, but was never one of my favorites -- he is the kind of person who can find grievous fault and ill motive in anything. He left RS and started his own newsletter, this is the early 80s, I can't remember the name of it now, but I subscribed initially, because it was supposed to deal with progress and justice and Reagan had just been elected, it was a bad time for thinking people. Well, the newsletter turned out to be suitable for parakeet cages, a whole lot of ranting and raving, the kind of stuff you hear from college students who fancy themselves communists while mumsy and da da pay the bills? Then when Live Aid came, he slammed Geldof as if he BOMBED Ethiopia, rather than trying to help. Marsh thinks that any effort needs to be attacked because it is not the total, root solution, and so is a distraction from what needs to be done. I'd like to see him say that to the mother who is watching her child die of starvation -- but people like him don't get too close to what's real, they like to stand apart and think themselves superior. He's a waste of sperm and egg, but he had a hand in the production of this thing last night, so they had to include him. He also, in U2 lore, first went after the boys by writing an attack on The Unforgettable Fire, particularly, Elvis Presley... that got an in-depth response from Bono.

I have a funny story about him -- Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager, was a writer for RS and ended up with Bruce, so Marsh thought he was going to do the same thing with this band, Beaver Brown, about 25 years ago. They played The Other End, formerly the Bitter End then, in NY, and I was at the late show, and everyone was psyched, they thought Bruce was going to show because Landau was there and so was Marsh. Well, it gets to be about 2 am, the band is red hot, people are standing on chairs and tables, sweat is pouring off the WALLS, and in the middle of all this, Marsh jumps up on stage, grabs a tambourine off an amp, and proceeds to GET JIGGY WITH IT! Like Elaine on Seinfeld? We all stopped dead in our tracks, he brought the whole room to a standstill, we thought the tambourine was going to smack him back! And on the way home, we all said, THIS is the guy that has been reviewing music, who attacks all these bands and albums, he needs a watch to keep time!

Back
Top Bottom