Bono in Chicago 10/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catlady

War Child
PERSONALS: WHO'S WHO & WHAT'S UP
Bono set to expand AIDS project here
James Warren, Mark Caro
Published October 12, 2006

Bono, with the help of some equally famous friends and top business leaders, is expected to announce here Thursday the expansion to America of his creative corporate partnership, known as Product Red, to assist AIDS victims in Africa.

Whether it snows or not, Oprah Winfrey, Mick Jagger and Penelope Cruz plan on surfacing on Michigan Avenue with the U2 frontman to announce that Schaumburg-based Motorola, the Gap, Armani and the Converse athletic shoe company will introduce products and full clothing lines whose purchase will assist African AIDS relief.

Motorola and American Express were key initial partners but, so far, their efforts have been limited to the United Kingdom. Now, products from Motorola, Gap, Armani and Converse will be available throughout the U.S. The lines will be revealed in Chicago.

"I'm very happy to be here for that because I think that's something that's going to help in a tremendous way," Cruz said Wednesday afternoon at her Chicago hotel.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE AND WHEN..............

ohhhh man....why did i have to move out of the city and work in the suburbs now.....wish i could be there...

My husband is hanging around outside Harpo Studios now, lots of limos, etc., wish I knew what time the taping was b/c I assume the Michigan Avenue stuff will be sometime after that...

All of the (RED) billboards down here look amazing--they basically went up Sunday and Monday...

U2One said:
they're gonna be at the GAP on michigan ave....don't know exactly when though...

Ahhhhhhhh, I'm 10 mins away, but heading to work. :banghead:

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be all over the 10 o'clock news.

***Wadda ya know, ABC7 News just had a newsbit about Oprah, B-man, Mick Jagger on Mich Ave. -- didn't say what time though.***

OK update; Bono and Ophrah just left Harpo studios a couple minutes ago. My husband said he heard on the radio the Michigan Avenue event is supposed to be at about 11:00 AM...

First pic I've seen
oprah-bono.jpg

from http://cbs2chicago.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_281133750

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...1012bono-red,0,454380.story?coll=chi-news-hed

No pics here, still looking :)

Bono, Winfrey expanding AIDS project here

Tribune staff report
Published October 12, 2006, 12:13 PM CDT

Several hundred people braved bitter weather this morning to line up along North Michigan Avenue to get a glimpse of U2 frontman Bono and talk-show diva Oprah Winfrey as they promoted the expansion of Bono's project to assist AIDS victims in Africa.

By 9:30 a.m., when the celebrities were supposed to make their appearance and do a little shopping at the Gap, one of the corporate sponsors of Bono's effort, more than a hundred fans were waiting on either side of a red carpet rolled out at Ohio Street. Dozens more stood in the Michigan Avenue median, some clambering up on concrete planters for a better view.

Finally, shortly after 11 a.m., the two stars rolled up in a red sports car.

Known as Product Red, the rocker's creative corporate partnership is expanding to include Schaumburg-based Motorola, the Gap, Armani and the Converse athletic shoe company. It will feature products and full clothing lines whose purchase will assist African AIDS relief.

The Gap's flagship store on Michigan Avenue today was decked out in red signage advertising its clothing line with words such as "Inspi(red)" and "Empowe(red)."

Extra police were on hand trying to keep the crowd from spilling onto the street.

Temperatures in the 30s and wind-driven show showers did not put a damper on most fans' enthusiasm, and the crowd grew even though more than an hour went by with Oprah and Bono nowhere to be seen.

Sara Brackett, 25, said she did not mind waiting in the cold as long as she got a glimpse of two of her favorite stars.

"Who cares about the snow?" said Brackett, who is visiting Chicago from St. Louis. "It's Oprah and Bono!"

Steve Howell, of Chicago, said he was just walking by when he saw the crowds and checked out what was happening.

When he learned who was appearing, he called several friends at work and said he would be snapping photos of the celebs on his cellphone camera.

"I told them I'd post them online," Howell said. He said he was big U2 fan, but was more eagerto see if Rolling Stones leader Mick Jagger joined in the event, as had been rumored.

The event marks the unveiling of the Product Red lines in America, which had previously been available only in the United Kingdom. The items will be available throughout the U.S.

Other celebrities are in Chicago to help with the promotion.

"I'm very happy to be here for that because I think that's something that's going to help in a tremendous way," Penelope Cruz said Wednesday afternoon at her Chicago hotel.

Bono and Oprah in a red car sports car :faint:

Has anything been release from Apple yet for the project Red? Bono mentioned Apple was involved too when they were in front of the Apple store.

:hyper:

Last edited:
Made it to see Bono and Oprah....they arrived at the Gap, on North Michigan Ave. After their stay there they walked north on Michigan Ave to the Apple store. After a stop in the Apple store, they got back into Oprah's car, Oprah was driving. They went to make a left hand turn and got stuck at an intersection, Bono EXITED the car, IN TRAFFIC, and proceeded to direct traffic....then he had trouble getting back intot he car. THe next stop was an Armani store. I have a couple fotos, don't know how to upload them at this site. Pretty cool to see; watch Oprah tomorrow.

It was really cool--I got there about five minutes before they rolled up at the Gap, then afterward a bunch of us followed them as they walked down to the Apple store, a couple blocks away. When they came out of there, before they got back into the car, Bono stopped in the street so a trolley full of tourists could take his picture. :)

Before he got into the passenger seat, he said "Shop until it stops".

My husband got some pretty good video but things were moving too fast for very good stills :(

su2z said:
They went to make a left hand turn and got stuck at an intersection, Bono EXITED the car, IN TRAFFIC, and proceeded to direct traffic....then he had trouble getting back intot he car.
:lmao: What a dork! Ah, but oh so loveable :cute:

su2z said:
I have a couple fotos, don't know how to upload them at this site. Pretty cool to see; watch Oprah tomorrow.

Go to http://www.imageshack.us and upload them one by one. After each photo is uploaded, it will give you several links, scroll down and copy the very bottom one. Then come here and click the IMG button above the reply box. In the little window that pops up, right click and paste the URL for the image.

Last edited:
My friend from work and I headed to the north Loop today and saw Bono and Oprah. I got these pics...I wish they were better but it was great to be so close.
He said to us before he got into the car "I have one thing to tell you guys--Shop till you drop!"
Enjoy
These were outside The Gap:
bonoandoprahatgap2.jpg

bonoshowshisswag2.jpg

And these were outside the Apple store before Oprah and Bono got into their little red car...right in front of me!
letmegetthedoor.jpg

whatagentleman.jpg

upclosebutblurry.jpg

Sorry the last pic is blurry--but I hope you like it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom