Bono in Africa....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 Beginner said:

Hi Jamila! THANK YOU SO, SO, SO, SO, SO MUCH FOR THIS LINK!!!!:hug: I just signed up. If I saw this before, I would've done it earlier, but thank you!!!! You must be part of the actual Make Poverty History List right, that was made more popular by Live 8? I am, and I think we should all take part for Africa, for Bono and for Humanity!!:heart::

I'm very glad that you've signed your name to the ONE petition, U2 Beginner.

I hope this will be just the first step in a long journey for you in helping to end extreme poverty in our world.

And yes - I have been part of the movement to end extreme poverty in the world for many years now. :sexywink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Babydoll, we have to talk. I spent a month in Tanzania and LOVED every second of it (despite the fact I got sick the first day, was sick for 2.5 weeks and lost 12 pounds in that time). I would love to go back.

Sure! I'd love to. I am in fact from a multi cultural background - I am Indian, brought up in Africa and live in the US now. Where are u from??

Babydoll said:
Sure! I'd love to. I am in fact from a multi cultural background - I am Indian, brought up in Africa and live in the US now. Where are u from??

I'm from the US (Michigan), Dutch blood, white as they come! I was there for a month-long course studying development, mainly church (Lutheran and Catholic) NGOs/non-profits. What part of TZ are you from? We stayed in the north, starting in Arusha and then to Mwanza and Bukoba. We also visited Moshi, Kilimanjaro, Lushoto, Longito (to see the Masaai), and Kigarama (where my professor is from). We flew over Dar and Zanzibar, but didn't get to stop :( I want to go there for my honeymoon, but it would probably be WAY to expensive (the flights).

I really enjoyed the mix of African, Arabic, and Indian people there were in all the cities we stayed. Also, the samosas were wonderful (never had one before) and I ate so many it just made the sickness worse, but that's my own fault :)

I'm from the US (Michigan), Dutch blood, white as they come! I was there for a month-long course studying development, mainly church (Lutheran and Catholic) NGOs/non-profits. What part of TZ are you from? We stayed in the north, starting in Arusha and then to Mwanza and Bukoba. We also visited Moshi, Kilimanjaro, Lushoto, Longito (to see the Masaai), and Kigarama (where my professor is from). We flew over Dar and Zanzibar, but didn't get to stop :( I want to go there for my honeymoon, but it would probably be WAY to expensive (the flights).

I really enjoyed the mix of African, Arabic, and Indian people there were in all the cities we stayed. Also, the samosas were wonderful (never had one before) and I ate so many it just made the sickness worse, but that's my own fault :)

I'm from Dar, my home is right by the coast :)

I haven't been home for three years now tho, haha. Anyway, how my family ended up in TZ is a very intresting piece of family history for me :D

Babydoll said:

I'm from Dar, my home is right by the coast :)

I haven't been home for three years now tho, haha. Anyway, how my family ended up in TZ is a very intresting piece of family history for me :D

That was my one disappointment - not seeing Dar es Salaam - but I think we could've spent an entire month in Dar alone, a day or two would've have given it justice. My professor's son is in Dar now. He went to medical school and is one of the few graduates who is willingly staying in TZ to practice medicine. Most docs leave the country for better opportunities. One of the facts I still remember from our trip: TZ has one doc for every 200,000 people.

Anyhow, how do you find the States? Do you miss Dar?

And, I supposed to keep this relatively on-topic, do you know if Bono has ever been to TZ?

ETA: one more, how do you say "Dar es Salaam"? Just wondering b/c while we were there, my prof and the other Kiswahili speaking people said it fast and it sounded like "Da'slam".

Dar is like a world in itself - population of 3 million, incredible diversity, incredible food, tourism, hotels, beaches, shopping.... Aaah.... I miss home :) Yep, the one doc for 200,000 ppl is really unfortunate. It's a reminder of how much poverty realy does exist. I consider the States my home now - I have my own life here, my home, my friends, etc... I just dislike the cold weather here! I don't think Bono has been to TZ yet, I know he's been to Kenya and Uganda but missed TZ. How u pronounce dar depends on ur accent as well... I tend to say "dar' more often than the whole name, but its actually dar-es-salaam, the way it was intended, by the arabs. :D

Ok, Ingrid, et al, the clips will be here:

http://www.alihewson.com/MTVdiary/

There are 6 asf files. That's the only format I had. They played in Windows Media Player after I installed a codec (downloaded it for free somewhere). Enjoy!

woah you rule!!! :hug:
thanks! I can't wait to see it! I saw a few seconds in BBC newsnight.. and omg short Bono hair, and his voice... less raspy and sooo cute! :cute:

for those who need it (like me)
here's the codec you need to play the files
http://www.free-codecs.com/VoxWare_MetaSound_Audio_CoDec_download.htm

Last edited:
oh good, you figured out the codec thing too :up:
it was pretty hard... I couldn't find the installation file, then it didn't want to install, I had to use winzip to not only unzip it, but also had to instally it in the winzip thing otherwise it'd say the hardware needed was not found or so :huh:
now at day 3... B's introduction was pretty impressive... and I lolled over his "I'm Bono, I'm a rockstar, and I'm ehre to serve you" to the stewardess... :giggle:

part three... the Bonodance... omg :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: such a dork.. so incredibly cute! :cute: the way he ran to the place to dance...

Last edited:
Have you seen the part where they're singing Bob Marley in the bus? It's too cute.

Also, I love where he agrees to spend time with Mabel. You can tell she's really taken with him and he cared enough to stick around.

Have you seen the part where they're singing Bob Marley in the bus? It's too cute.

Also, I love where he agrees to spend time with Mabel. You can tell she's really taken with him and he cared enough to stick around.

just had that part with Mabel... I loved to see him spending time with her.. she apreciated it aswell...
this documentary is impressing me a lot... I'm at part four now... and amazed by what I"m seeing...
I am stomping myself for not seeing this in 2002.. God I didn't even knew who Bono was by then... ok I knew he was the cool guy with the shades from Beautiful Day and the tomb raider soundtrack(didn't know it was the same tho, didn't know his name either) ... I missed so much...
:madwife: at myself!

I just finished it... and :shocked:
it was very impressive ..
I loved the Bob Marley Part.. and more Bono dorkydances :wink: he's so funny when he's acting dorky! :D
whenever people start about Bono the fag who only does it for his own purposes, I know what to show them!
(how can I make the six files one btw?)

Jamila said:

I'm very glad that you've signed your name to the ONE petition, U2 Beginner.

I hope this will be just the first step in a long journey for you in helping to end extreme poverty in our world.

And yes - I have been part of the movement to end extreme poverty in the world for many years now. :sexywink:

Keep up the good work Jamila, I do not know if you know this but you -Not the awesome Bono commercial are the one who inspired me to sign the petition last year.:yes:
You are a positive force around here :hug:

Carmelu2fan said:

Keep up the good work Jamila, I do not know if you know this but you -Not the awesome Bono commercial are the one who inspired me to sign the petition last year.:yes:
You are a positive force around here :hug:

I've always tried to be, my friend.

I learned many years ago that positivity triumphs over negativity everytime.

It may take awhile, but if a person walks in Faith, Love and Peace then one day life WILL vindicate your efforts! :up:

Anyway, with U2 Beginner's and yours sigs to the ONE petition, that makes about 1,502 sigs that I have personally brought over to ONE.

Your sincere words REALLY have gladdened my heart, Carmelu2fan.

Please keep on being the wonderful presence that you are in this forum. :wink:

Few days ago I had a fight with a friend on how Bono is using this stuff with Africa and other places to promote himself. Now, although I think that that's a load of crap usually stated by misinformed or underinformed-ignorant people, I think that this thread was one of the best arguments that would justify our (U2 fans and OK people) arguments.

Could you (namely Riderka ;) ) repost these photos from Africa so that I can send the link of this thread to this friend of mine and show her (and all of them ignorants) what his efforts are all about.

Thank you for keeping this thread alive, I have never seen it.
Could anyone repost some of the photos, especially the emotional Bono one, I only see red crosses, would like to see the pictures. I always love to see Bono in Africa, he's so emotional, enthusiastic, idealistic and just touching to watch.

Back
Top Bottom