Bono in a movie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
BLOOD BROTHERS FOR BLANCHETT AND BONO?

Actress CATE BLANCHETT and rocker BONO are among the big names being lined up to rescue a planned screen adaptation of stage hit BLOOD BROTHERS. Director ALAN PARKER is desperate to land the all-star cast in order to secure funding for the massive production. The EVITA moviemaker estimates the WILLY RUSSELL play will require at least $40 million (GBP20.5 million) to adapt successfully. Parker says, "Our ambitions for it might be greater than the support we can get financially right now. "Blood brothers is a cultural icon. We don't want to make a little film - we prefer to make it properly or not at all."

04/06/2007 12:55

anyone's got any more info on this? i hope it materializes. cate blanchett is an amazing talent, and it would be great to have the opportunity to see those two together on the big screen somehow.

Cate Blanchett is brilliant, but this statement seems really unclear and open-ended, "Actress CATE BLANCHETT and rocker BONO are among the big names being lined up to rescue a planned screen adaptation of stage hit BLOOD BROTHERS."

:scratch:

Bono - putting on an accent? That should be good! I can't imagine him being Micky or Edward though. Maybe Ed's dad, or one of the teachers, or, if they keep the part, the narrator. Hmmm.

You never know, he did do Across The Universe, so he could be open to movie roles. We'll have to wait and see!

evillaurd said:
Bono - putting on an accent? That should be good! I can't imagine him being Micky or Edward though. Maybe Ed's dad, or one of the teachers, or, if they keep the part, the narrator. Hmmm.

You never know, he did do Across The Universe, so he could be open to movie roles. We'll have to wait and see!

He's been suggested as The Narrator, not any of the main characters.

Narrator :love:
on a side but related note, is it bad that I'll watch any documentary so long as Liam Neeson's narrating it cause I love his voice so much? :uhoh:

because nobody answered me

:sad:

I just found out on myself -

Bonos first role in a movie (besides his short moment in a Million Dollar Hotel) we can admire in September this year (USA), November (Europe) as Dr. Robert in Across the Universe - and as I mentioned above (there's also the link) you can see Bono in the Trailer for a second.

His part in MDH was just a quick cameo, he also had an actual speaking part in Entropy (directed by Phil Joanou) which was not very good, he played himself...

I dunno, I think he should stick to his day job and it looks like for the most part he has been smart enough to do just that.

BonoFox1 said:
Bono has said that he would not do any movie acting and he has been offered roles before, but that was a while back, maybe he will re-consider...

he HAS considered - you can see him in September acting.

I can remember that he was also in the discussion for Batman III (the one with Jim Carry) - they wanted to make a character based on MacPhisto - that would have been cool.

He has some talent - Bono as Marlon Brando:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGt_86VF94

or here in a sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gCY3-O9bI

Last edited:
Am I the only one here that thinks Bono couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag? :reject:

I think he does okay in small sketches and stuff, but I generally get the feeling from those that he's outside of his element, and he comes across as being a bit stiff and unbelievable in the role.
However, narraration I could see him doing, he has a beautiful voice :drool:

And I'm looking forward to Across the Universe :up: Considering it's a musical, and his part in it is (presumably) just a performance of a song, I think he'll do fine in it.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
However, narraration I could see him doing, he has a beautiful voice :drool:

The narrator in Blood Brothers does more than just tell the story, though. In the musical, he's nearly always on the stage, following the characters (he's never seen unless playing a minor role which, I assume, will be given to other actors in the film). He acts as the conscience of the characters, he sings (no problem there - if the movie will also be a musical) and is basically a pivotal role in the stage performance. I don't know how fundamental the character will be in the movie, but I don't think Willy Russell would diminish his importance so much that all he does is narrate the story. So if Bono does get the part, then he's going to be pretty important.

Which could be a problem, as I have my reservations about his acting skills. I haven't seen the movies he's appeared in, so I probably have no right to criticise, but from what I've heard and seen on television, I'd guess he'd have a tough time taking on a central acting role . :huh:

evillaurd said:
The narrator in Blood Brothers does more than just tell the story, though. In the musical, he's nearly always on the stage, following the characters (he's never seen unless playing a minor role which, I assume, will be given to other actors in the film). He acts as the conscience of the characters, he sings (no problem there - if the movie will also be a musical) and is basically a pivotal role in the stage performance. I don't know how fundamental the character will be in the movie, but I don't think Willy Russell would diminish his importance so much that all he does is narrate the story. So if Bono does get the part, then he's going to be pretty important.
Ah, see, I didn't really know much about Blood Brothers, but from what you said, it sounds as though the narrator plays a role similar to Che's in Evita, and I could actually see that working :hmm:

This would be like a dream for me - Blood Brothers is one of my favourite musicals, I have seen it loads.

The Narrator will have a lot of screen time - probably less then Che in Evita but yes it is a similar role.

His songs are also great...

Tell me this is true!!! :wink:

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom