Bono icon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
Does anyone know where I can find a big version of the drawing someone (a magazine?) did of Bono as a Catholic icon? Does it even exist?

Eirinn uses it as her avatar:

4608f1c4.jpg

Bono is a man a faith and he is a believer, but I don’t think he is a Catholic. There’s a big difference between being a Christian and being a Catholic.
But I might be wrong.

Yes, Catholics are Christians. I was born and raised in a conservative Catholic family, but it's been a long time since I don't consider myself Catholic.
I'm still a Christian and I'd rather not be related to a church.

Last edited:
LostAtMoon said:
Bono is a man a faith and he is a believer, but I don’t think he is a Catholic. There’s a big difference between being a Christian and being a Catholic.
But I might be wrong. [/B]

Well most religions call them selves Christians (which derives from the word Christ, as in believer/follower of Christ,):up: but the beliefs are different, I was raised Christian, *Not Catholic* which was rare for being Latin...I was not baptized as an infant, but made the decision later in life to get baptized..There are many differences (some of my friends and some family are Catholic) so I got familiar with the religion..But in the end we are all Gods children:angel:

Last edited:
U2's Bono Says He'd 'Like to Be' a Christian
Plus: Pat Robertson speaks again on Bush's faith-based initiatives, tasty Lent, and other stories from around the world.

by Ted Olsen 2/22/01

Bono finally speaks on his faith

Is U2 Christian? (Or, more directly, is it still?) The question is the Christian version of Is Paul dead? and it's been around a lot longer than the rumors McCartney's demise ever were. Lead singer Bono and other members of the band have commented vaguely and enigmatically on the question over the group's recent history, but, as a Dallas Morning News article earlier this month concluded, "When it comes to U2 and God, the answers we'll probably always get are more questions." Not necessarily. Beliefnet finally scored an interview with Bono exclusively on his religious beliefs. But is it the final word on Bono's faith? Probably not. "The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years—the idea of grace—is the reason I would like to be a Christian," he tells Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis, who has covered the band since 1984. "Though, as I said to [U2 guitarist] The Edge one day, I sometimes feel more like a fan, rather than actually in the band. I can't live up to it. But the reason I would like to is the idea of grace. It's really powerful." Bono also talks about the role of religion in music ("The idea of turning your music into a tool for evangelism is missing the point. Music is the language of the spirit anyway.") The Holy Spirit and religion ("I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building. God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm.") and AIDS in Africa ("America will be judged by God if, in its plenty, it crosses the road from 23 million people suffering from HIV, the leprosy of the day. What's up on trial here is Christianity itself."

From http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/108/43.0.html

Can someone read the letters? What's written?:eyebrow:

BTW thanks for the pic MrsSpringsteen, I'd never seen it that quality! :bow:

How did this even turn into a debate? :der:

Regardless of Bono's faith, someone did a clever job of making him into an icon--more Orthodox style though than Roman Catholic. :wink:

AvsGirl41 said:
How did this even turn into a debate? :der:

Regardless of Bono's faith, someone did a clever job of making him into an icon--more Orthodox style though than Roman Catholic. :wink:

loll. I dont think its a debate. Just someone posted an inaccuracy :wink:

The painting is more Orthodox than Roman Catholic, I agree.

I don't debate religion. My father was a Jew. My mother Irish Catholic. Needless to say, I had enough of that crap growing up.

I have a different perspective. I was raised an atheist. When I see Christians saying they aren't Christians they are Catholics, as a vocal minority do, I think "What, you're not Christian? Are you a Muslim then? Are you an atheist? "

loll. Im just being difficult. :evil:

It wasn't a debate and I don't think religion is something I can discuss. Besides, it's is too personal.
But there's something I started doing and I can't seem to find the time to finish it, especially now: compiling everything there is on Bono's beliefs and faith, so when the subject is approached, I can consult it and explain my own conclusions on it.

Beli, I know what you mean. That’s one of the reasons I wanna be kept away from churches.

I agree it is more Orthodox style.

The early church of Jesus evolved with Peter, a disciple of Jesus, as it's original 'pope'. This is the history of the pope as the head of the Catholic Church.
It is from this original Church that came all the offshoots---Protestants, meaning "protest", which in turn became the various Christian religions out there.
The Catholic faith IS the history of ALL Christians(as followers of Christ) but Protestant leadership chooses not to focus tooo much on that since that would mean acknowledging their "catholic" history.
Go figure. Perhaps this is where the idea of short term memory comes from in when dealing with the world! It's important to understand where you come from so you have a basis from which to defect, if that is your will!

BorderGirl said:
The early church of Jesus evolved with Peter, a disciple of Jesus, as it's original 'pope'. This is the history of the pope as the head of the Catholic Church.
It is from this original Church that came all the offshoots---Protestants, meaning "protest", which in turn became the various Christian religions out there.
The Catholic faith IS the history of ALL Christians(as followers of Christ) but Protestant leadership chooses not to focus tooo much on that since that would mean acknowledging their "catholic" history.
Go figure. Perhaps this is where the idea of short term memory comes from in when dealing with the world! It's important to understand where you come from so you have a basis from which to defect, if that is your will!

Don't confuse fundamentalist Protestants with all the other Protestant denominations. Glaring generalities tend to start "debates."

Back
Top Bottom