Bono gets around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2orangecats

Acrobat
In case anyone missed this -- it's from atu2.com

"Down time? Taking a break? Not yer man! Bono was in Washington, DC, on Tuesday for a meeting with Democratic Senator (and presidential hopeful) Barack Obama. Then it was on to New York Tuesday night for a "Conversation with Bono" event at Time Warner Center. Wednesday found Bono reportedly visiting with another presidential hopeful, Republican Rudy Giuliani. And all this was topped off by a movie date with good friend Helena Christensen (at right) to see a screening of the new film, Zodiac.

On Friday, he'll be in Los Angeles to receive the Chairman's Award at the NAACP Image Awards. That'll be shown live on Fox TV."

:wink: He's everywhere! Would love to see pics of him and Obama!

Last edited:
Bono & Bill Clinton
314 W 11th St

Feb 28th, 2007 @ 9pm

At (shocker) the Spotted Pig - in the back room, Bono was sitting next to none other than William Jefferson Clinton. Bono had pinkish sunglasses on, everyone was more concerned about Bubba. He looked thin, the white hair was getting a little fro-ish. How I wish he were still in charge.

:happy:

2orangecats said:

Yes I'd love to see new pics of that too!

But here are some older ones...

bonoobamaprayerbreakfast3.jpg

2orangecats said:
In case anyone missed this -- it's from atu2.com

"Down time? Taking a break? Not yer man! Bono was in Washington, DC, on Tuesday for a meeting with Democratic Senator (and presidential hopeful) Barack Obama. Then it was on to New York Tuesday night for a "Conversation with Bono" event at Time Warner Center. Wednesday found Bono reportedly visiting with another presidential hopeful, Republican Rudy Giuliani. And all this was topped off by a movie date with good friend Helena Christensen (at right) to see a screening of the new film, Zodiac.

On Friday, he'll be in Los Angeles to receive the Chairman's Award at the NAACP Image Awards. That'll be shown live on Fox TV."

thanks for the update!!!!!!!!

here a little more extensive report on bono's visit with obama:
BONO MEETS WITH OBAMA

Rock star BONO met US presidential candidate BARACK OBAMA on Tuesday (27FEB07) to discuss foreign assistance to anti-poverty and global health causes. The U2 frontman met with the Illinois senator in his personal office in the Hart Senate Office Building in Washington DC. A spokesman for Obama, BEN LaBOLT, says the two met for about half an hour to discuss the ONE Campaign, a non-profit organisation the Irish singer helped form to combat AIDS and global poverty. LaBolt explains, "Bono was making rounds on (Capitol) Hill to build support for the ONE campaign. "He particularly wanted to meet with Senator Obama since he's a member of the Foreign Relations Committee and has been active on international poverty and global health issues." Bono is reportedly trying to meet with all of the candidates for the US presidency and has already sat down with JOHN MCCAIN, HILARY CLINTON, MITT ROMNEY and JOHN EDWARDS.

Re: Re: Bono gets around

thankyou said:

thanks for the update!!!!!!!!

here a little more extensive report on bono's visit with obama:
BONO MEETS WITH OBAMA

Rock star BONO met US presidential candidate BARACK OBAMA on Tuesday (27FEB07) to discuss foreign assistance to anti-poverty and global health causes. The U2 frontman met with the Illinois senator in his personal office in the Hart Senate Office Building in Washington DC. A spokesman for Obama, BEN LaBOLT, says the two met for about half an hour to discuss the ONE Campaign, a non-profit organisation the Irish singer helped form to combat AIDS and global poverty. LaBolt explains, "Bono was making rounds on (Capitol) Hill to build support for the ONE campaign. "He particularly wanted to meet with Senator Obama since he's a member of the Foreign Relations Committee and has been active on international poverty and global health issues." Bono is reportedly trying to meet with all of the candidates for the US presidency and has already sat down with JOHN MCCAIN, HILARY CLINTON, MITT ROMNEY and JOHN EDWARDS.

wow thanks!

thesuburbskill said:
Can anyone please confirm whether he'll be in Oakland, CA next week? I heard somewhere that he'll be there to meet with Congresswoman Barbara Lee to discuss HIV/AIDS in the African American community...
http://www.u2france.com/spip.php?article10104

From the San Jose Mercury News:
OAKLAND

U2 singer coming to town for round-table talk on AIDS

Oakland should get ready to roll out the red carpet this week, Rep. Barbara Lee said during her ``State of the District'' address Monday -- U2's Bono is coming to town.

Lee, D-Oakland, said Monday night that she was enlisting celebrity help in her longtime crusade to halt the spread of AIDS in the United States and around the world.

``If we are to succeed in fighting this disease, we have to raise the profile of the issue and we have to come together as a community,'' she said, ``which is why I'm proud to announce that this week, musician and international AIDS activist Bono will be joining me in Oakland to learn about HIV/AIDS in the African-American community and to participate in a round-table discussion with faith leaders on how we can best fight the disease.''

The U2 frontman is widely known for his activism on behalf of Africa -- another area in which Lee is active -- and has met with world leaders including President Bush and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin.

No further details on Bono's visit were available Monday night.

-- MediaNews
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/16792763.htm

:wink: Last time the Mercury said he was going to be in town I was able to meet him. Good luck!!!

This was posted on Monday so if he's going to be there"later this week" asit says on her website Im guessing its today or tomorrow!

Last edited:
teenie said:

From the San Jose Mercury News:
OAKLAND

U2 singer coming to town for round-table talk on AIDS

Oakland should get ready to roll out the red carpet this week, Rep. Barbara Lee said during her ``State of the District'' address Monday -- U2's Bono is coming to town.

Lee, D-Oakland, said Monday night that she was enlisting celebrity help in her longtime crusade to halt the spread of AIDS in the United States and around the world.

``If we are to succeed in fighting this disease, we have to raise the profile of the issue and we have to come together as a community,'' she said, ``which is why I'm proud to announce that this week, musician and international AIDS activist Bono will be joining me in Oakland to learn about HIV/AIDS in the African-American community and to participate in a round-table discussion with faith leaders on how we can best fight the disease.''

The U2 frontman is widely known for his activism on behalf of Africa -- another area in which Lee is active -- and has met with world leaders including President Bush and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin.

No further details on Bono's visit were available Monday night.

-- MediaNews
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/16792763.htm

:wink: Last time the Mercury said he was going to be in town I was able to meet him. Good luck!!!

Congrats on meeting him! Care to share the details?

2orangecats said:

Congrats on meeting him! Care to share the details?

Ill try and give you the cliff notes version. I went back looking for my posts from that day and I saw that I never really said much about it.I guess i told so many people I thought I wrote it down.:uhoh:

It was in October of 2004 in San Jose, CA after the IPOD event. I had read here on Interference that U2 might be in town promoting the new IPOD just a few blocks from the Unviversity I was attending. So I took the morning off and I stood outside the theater all morning (in the rain )with lots of fans. We saw Steve Jobs, Morleigh,her kids and Eve and Jordan walk into the theater. But no Bono or Edge - I guess they came in the back way. Dallas was out there taking to us-he was very charming and kind.

Anyhow when the event was over Bono and the Edge came out with Paul McGuiness and it was almost impossible to get near Bono. I was able to get Edge's autograph though. In fact he came around twice and I told him I just got his autograph (What a stupid thing to say Christine!I shouldve asked for a pic with him!GRRR):banghead:

When they took off in their caravan I was so disappointed that I didint get to meet Bono I thought that I'd walk down the block by the Hotel they usually stay in when they're on tour just to see if they might be there. Sure enough their caravan was out front. Along with security.

I went into the lobby along with three other fans who had just arrived (Christina, Brett and Karmic Postmark).It was just the four of us there. We figured Bono and Edge might be upstairs so Christina and I were waiting by the front door when Ali , Jordan and Eve came by. They went to one of the cars and the window rolled down and someone with reddish brown hair was in the car. Thats when I realized Bono was IN the car. He gave Ali a kiss,they talked briefly and the girls got in the car with Bono. Ali took off in another car.

Not too soon after Bono saw Christina and I and we pointed to our posters and he motioned for us to come over. He got out of the car and I saw that Steve Jobs was sitting next to him. He shook our hand and gave us a kiss on the cheek and was very kind to sign our posters (I was able to get one from someone after they came out of the theater).
I didnt notice any cologne or what he smelled like (everyone asks me that) but I did kiss him back on the cheek and he has cool, soft skin. I also noticed that his wrinkles look deeper in pics but in person they're pretty smoothed out. He glady took photos with all four of us . I remember that his leather jacket was very soft and warm and that he seemed a little guarded/shy but very kind.

I didnt know what to say. I mean I only had 20 years to think about that moment but I didnt want to go on about how much U2 meant to me because I thought he might hear that every day. Instead I asked him what songs did they perform at the event. Another stupid thing to say. Next time I am going to tell him how much U2 means. My husband and I met because he walked into the store I was working at and wanted a photo retouched. It was a pic of him at the Joshua Tree. Thats how we met and now I have a beautiful son. A result of U2, basically. So thats what Id tell him.

Anyhow so much for the cliff notes version. It was a memorable day. I didnt cry till I got home and realized that one of my dreams had come true. I hope you guys have the same luck I did. Dont forget the pics and say what you really want to say to the members of U2.

I have a pic at my website if you want to see:wink: click on my profile.

After we went back inside and he got back in the car, the Edge and his family came down .We said Hi but didnt want to approach them when he had his kids there. Bono came back inside because he had to use the restroom. We all laughed.

Last edited:
What a dream come true, for sure, Teenie-you are so lucky!!!!
we all wish for the piece of heaven you had that day- Bono just seems so sweet and easy when he is around (approached ) by his (adoring) fans. He truly is a remarkable human being(and increasingly hotter by the day). Your descriptions and detail were everything we wanted to know. If I close my eyes I can see and feel it happening. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing and the good advice. Great story! :applaud:

I only hope to put it to use one of these days!

I met my husband at the Joshua Tree tour - we had seats right next to each other and I think it's fate considering all those other seats he could have been at....so I met my husband because of U2 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom