Bono Finally Receives His Knighthood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
From U2.com:

A Knighthood for Bono

In Dublin this morning the British Ambassador, David Reddaway, presented Bono with an honorary knighthood on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen in recognition of his services to the music industry and for his humanitarian work.

‘What a great year for an Irishman to receive an award from Great Britain. ‘ said Bono after receiving the award. ‘The Peace process has proceeded to a conclusion, debt cancellation - started in Great Britain - has put 20 million African children in school, The Happy Mondays and Shaun Ryder have reformed, England's rugby squad entered Croke Park to thunderous applause, silence for God Save The Queen, then the Irish hammered them. I couldn't be more proud.
‘I would like to thank Her Majesty's Ambassador for pinning this award on me in my home town, and the band for not bursting my balloon.’

Family and friends joined Bono for the private ceremony at Glencairn, the Ambassadors residence – Edge and Adam were there along with Guggi and Gavin Friday.

The Ambassador said that the honorary knighthood recognised ‘Bono’s extraordinary and inspirational campaigning to fight global poverty and focus international attention on the plight of Africa; the AIDS pandemic; and the third world debt crisis.’

‘He has played a key role in persuading governments and international institutions to wipe out many of the old debts owed by the poorest countries. We in the UK particularly appreciated his work during our G8 and EU Presidencies in 2005, which we were determined would produce real benefits for Africa.

‘We are delighted that Bono has accepted this honour, and look forward to his continued efforts alongside ours to raise awareness and change policies to improve the lives of the poorest people in the world.’

More news and photos on the way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since there will be MORE NEWS AND PHOTOS TO COME, I hope that this thread is allowed to stay in PLEBA so that we can ALL ENJOY THE PICS from this event very soon!

KUDOS TO BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Wow, finally, I thought it would never happen! Seems like people are having a hard time trying to catch up with Bono's busy agenda. Just in Berlin, now back in Dublin.
Good to hear friends and family were there.
Great statement from Bono, always a little sarcastic. Very proud of our man. :up:

Call me anything, except Sir - Bono
The Press Association Thursday March 29, 02:08 PM

Call me anything, except Sir - Bono

Irish rock star Bono has accepted an honorary knighthood from the Queen with one condition - "don't call me Sir".

The U2 frontman was awarded the honour during a brief ceremony at British ambassador David Reddaway's official residence in Dublin.

Fellow band members The Edge and Adam Clayton joined the lead singer's wife Ali and their four children - Jordan, Eve, Eli and John - for the reception.

Like Bob Geldof, he is technically not entitled to be called "Sir" as he is not a British citizen.

"By the way, you can call me pretty much anything you want, except sir," he remarked, before suggesting suitable alternatives.

"You can call me lord of lords or a demi-god," he said.

Mr Reddaway opened the informal ceremony around midday joking that Bono's family and friends might be disappointed that there were no swords or kneeling involved.

In a nod to his egocentric reputation, the rock star put his hand on the ambassador's shoulder and remarked: "Please, I wasn't expecting you to kneel."

Bono said he was accepting the award on behalf of his wife, children, the other members of U2 and his closest friends.

He said: "May the circle never be unbroken."

woooooot! At bloody last...love ya B-man! Deserve this and far more, glad my dear British race is giving him the recognition he deserves :).

Knight Commander eh...command me Bono :drool:

Yes, I was wondering about that as well. Could be they only reported it the wrong way.
Or his nervousness.
Remember when he confused his father's and mother's confession at the National Prayer Breakfast.

Btw, the thing about the kneeling is hilarious.
:lol:

He looks nice in the all black

capt.lon80403291322.ireland_bono_lon804.jpg

capt.lon80303291321.ireland_bono_lon803.jpg

Bono :dance: :bow: :dancing: :rockon:

Omg!!! I am so unbelievably proud of you right now :heart: :happy: :up:

Such amazing news has cheered me up from having such a crap week!!!!

Fab video, although it started to stick a bit! God is he looking fit or what too?!?! :combust: :faint:

Back
Top Bottom