Bono Finally Receives His Knighthood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niamh_Saoirse said:
Sorry if these have been posted before.

bonoknight.jpg

Is this Bono's brother??

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Bling is fit for a king in Bono's crowning glory

U2 frontman Bono yesterday declared his love for England as he accepted an honorary knighthood from the Queen.

But the peace-loving singer warned there was one thing he wouldn't stand for - being called Sir.

Accepting his bit of "bling" on behalf of the anti-poverty movement and the band, the U2 singer reached a new elevation as he was awarded the Status of Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Following in the footsteps of another Dubliner Bob Geldof, the 46-year-old was keen to avoid the nickname Sir Bono, which has stuck to his campaigning predecessor, despite him not being entitled to it.

Sporting his wraparound shades and platform shoes, he modestly joked: "You have my permission to call me pretty much anything, Lord of Lords, your demi-Godness, but not Sir."

For the man who has already picked up almost every award on offer from the 2005 'Time' Person of the Year to the French Legion D'Honneur, Bono said this would help open doors as there were still governments and groups who did not want to meet him.

There was a fleet of cars - Mercedes, Maserati and Jaguars - befitting a rockstar and his entourage parked up outside the Dublin residence of the British Ambassador David Reddaway.

Inside, the room was packed as his wife Ali, dressed all in black, sat flanked by her two girls Jordan and Eve, with the boys Eli and his youngest, John, sitting cross-legged on the floor for the brief ceremony.

"John thought I was getting a light sword and becoming a Jedi," he laughed afterwards.

During the ceremony, a letter was read out from British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who called Bono "inspirational" for his remarkable work in the fight against poverty.

Praised

He was praised for his role in the run-up to the G8 summit, which focused on helping poor nations in Africa.

Bono's brother Norman Hewson was there, as were Ali's parents Joy and Terry Stewart, his close friend Gavin Friday, artist pal Guggi, his friend Simon Carmody, crew member AJ Rankin, Paul McGuinness's wife Kathy Gilfillan, artist Louis le Brocquy and his wife Anne Madden.

"I love Great Britain, I think Great Britain is great. Irish people support British football teams, Irish bands sign to British record labels, Irish people speak English. We even have one in our band," he said on the lawns of the old house.

"You think rock bands are supposed to kick against the establishment. Well I always thought U2 had more interesting enemies than that. For us, it was always the established order of things that we fought against."

Bono said it was great that two of his bandmates the Edge and Adam Clayton had turned up for the ceremony, adding: "I know they squirm when they see me in interesting company, they still support what I do in every way.

"This though is about something I think bigger than my own involvement, it is about a movement that has gathered to rid the world of this ridiculous idea that you can starve to death in the 21st century," he said.

He said he was proud of the work the debt relief movement had done in the UK, which had helped 20 million more people in Africa to go to school.

Going off to join in the party, he quipped: "How much do you think I'd get for this thing in Weirs?"

The front man believes his new title will help him secure talks with world politicians to advance the battle against Third World debt.

"An award like this actually really helps me get through a few doors I wouldn't get through and that's the truth, that's the way the world is," he said.

He said the only disappointment of the day came from his young son, John.

"John thought I was getting a light stick - he thought I was becoming a Jedi," he said.

Bono wore two pins on his jacket representing two previous national awards, the Legion d'Honneur presented by President Jacques Chirac on behalf of the French government and the Portuguese Order of Liberty.

402449.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this .
It really was a great day for the Hewson family !!!
I was wondering what the two pins were . :ohmy:

Yes, I would love to read his report. I have been wondering about the guy on the photos as well.

Man, this must be so cool. Being a fan and working in the embassy and one day your idols come by and one of them is knighted.

Nuala said:
^^^Oh!:lol: When I first saw him I noticed he had freckles like Bono's on his cheek! That and they look about the same height. :giggle:

now HERE'S A PIC... OF Bono and Norman.... brothers for sure!

bononorman.jpg

and they are the same height... :giggle:

Last edited:
^Actually, there are many distinct similarities between them. Look at their eyes, and face shape. Norman is almost a decade older, considerably heavier, and doesn't dye his hair like Bono... but considering all of the above, they definitely resemble one another!

GracelandHarley said:
^Actually, there are many distinct similarities between them. Look at their eyes, and face shape. Norman is almost a decade older, considerably heavier, and doesn't dye his hair like Bono... but considering all of the above, they definitely resemble one another!

I can see similarities, but I doubt that if they weren't famous, I'd ever guess they were brothers. However, they both look a LOT like their dad, just not as much like each other.

Liesje said:

I can see similarities, but I doubt that if they weren't famous, I'd ever guess they were brothers. However, they both look a LOT like their dad, just not as much like each other.

I think it's the same with most families. If you looked at my 3 sisters and I in a row, you'd see a definite family resemblance ... and considering that one of them is my twin, and not even the one that most resembles me, you'd see how unpredictable genetics are in the end! :wink:

When you figure my parents into the equation, you'd be blown away by how much some of us look like one of them (but not the other)!

I guess my point is that if you didn't know most people's siblings, you'd be hard pressed to guess they were related!

thankyou said:

they sure look nothing alike.

ok.. :huh:

not sure where u are getting that from.. I totally disagree with ya there...

They look a lot alike considering the 10 yr difference. As Graceland mentioned is where it is most obvious IMO...

to each their own I guess. :shrug:

Liesje said:

I can see similarities, but I doubt that if they weren't famous, I'd ever guess they were brothers.

My point exactly. If they were in a room with other people and they told me pick out which one is Bono's brother, i don't think i'd be pointing at Norman right away.

Back
Top Bottom