Bono Edge and the NYPD A.K.A. Cover Me Chapter 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianepm

Professional Insomniac
If I lived any more north I'd be in Quebec. But I
last name change...I promise. :D

This is a complete work of fiction. Thank you to BLM for the title.

In a dark room she goes over to the bench in her basement and pulls out the magazine with Bono and Edge on the cover. She cuts out the pictures and adds them to the mural she has on the wall. “Soon” she thinks to herself, “you will realize that I am the only woman you want. Soon I will make you my own.”

===============================================================

Kat and I look at each other. We talk without saying a word out loud. “Did he just say girlfriend?” I say at Kat. “Did he just say that I have to pretend to be Edge’s girlfriend?” she says at me.

I say the first thing that pops into my heads. “Dibs on Bono”.

When God was handing out the edit button in people’s heads, he apparently forgot me.

Bono looks over at me with that sexy smirk of his and then just grins.

“Sorry” I mumbled. “I have this bad habit of just saying the first thing that comes into my head.”

“I have that problem myself sometimes.” He tells me. His blue eyes full of mischief. I swear that man should have a licence to carry for those eyes of his.

I look over at Kat and she is still staring at Edge.

He looks at her and says, “I guess that means I’m yours.” I see Kat’s ears starting to go a little red so I say something to pull her out of it.

“Where are we going to be doing all of this?”

“I don’t like the idea of you being at the hotel.” Baxter says, “There are too many ways for a person to infiltrate without being noticed. I’m going to set up a safe house and that way we can control the security.”

“Make it somewhere I can take Fred,” I tell him.

“Who’s Fred?” Bono asks me.

“She’s my cat. I’ve had her for about 2 years and I’m not about to leave her alone Lieu.”

“Why do you have a female cat named Fred?” Edge asks.

“Why not?” I say back. “The short version is that by the time I realized she was a girl cat she was already used to the name Fred and she wouldn’t answer to anything else.”

Edge looks at Bono and says, “Good thing Larry isn’t here”. He grins.

“Why don’t you go get your things while I set this up and I’ll call you with the location.”

“Ok Lieu.” I say.

“Kat, why don’t you take Edge to your place and I’ll take Bono and we’ll meet up somewhere.”

“Uh, sure” Kat stammers. She’s still unsure of the whole thing.

I give her a look that says, “It’ll be ok.”

We get down to the parking garage and go to our separate cars.

I have a black mustang convertible with a red stripe going all the way around. I love my car. My best friend/sister says that I’m in love with my car. I told her it was the longest relationship I’ve ever had. She told me that was the saddest thing she’s ever heard. I told her…oh wait…maybe I should stop talking to myself because Bono is giving me a weird look.

“This is my car.” I say. “I call her Sally.”

“Sally?” He says,

“Yeah, you know, Mustang Sally”

“Oh.”

I can tell he’s not sure if I’m kidding or not. I don’t think he’s completely sold on the idea of us posing as boyfriend/girlfriend.

We get in and I pull out of the parking spot, narrowly missing the post.

“Can I ask you a question Bono?”

“Sure”

“Won’t it look a bit funny that your so called girl friend is 17 years younger than you?”

“Not really. A lot of rock stars have younger girl friends. So I guess that means you’re 30 years old then?”

“As of last February” I say

I really hope that what is going on in my head is not plastered all over my face. I have Bono in my car! I have to actually live in the same house as him. Mind you, Edge and Kat will be there too, but still! The same house! How am I going to get through this without him knowing I’ve had a crush on him for 15 years? What if he figures out that I’m the type of person who says what she thinks? What if I put my foot in my mouth? What if he doesn’t like the sarcastic type? What if he finds out I’m un-loveable.

We finally make it to my house.

“You want to come in?” I ask.

“Sure.”

We walk in the house and Fred comes tearing down the stairs to greet me.

“This is Fur ball Fred. She thinks she’s a dog. There’s beer in the fridge and other stuff if you’re hungry. I’m just going to go throw some stuff together.”

I go up to my bedroom and pull out my suitcase and just stare at my closet. It’s then that I realize that pretty much everything I own is black. What do you pack when you’re going to be Bono’s girl friend?

I catch a movement out of the corner of my eye and turn around fast. Bono stands in the doorway. He’s standing there with a beer in his hand and a smile on his face. I try not to melt on the spot.

“You like black too then?” he asks.

“Um, yeah. I just didn’t realize how much until now.” I laugh.

I start randomly tossing things into my suitcase. I go over to my underwear drawer and open it to start tossing stuff. Bono looks over just in time to see me open it and turns a little red.

“I’ll..um..go wait down stairs.” He says.

Great. I just showed the man of my dreams my underwear. Can this day get any weirder?

I drag my suitcase downstairs and go to the closet to get Fred’s carrier.

“How are you going to get her into that thing?” Bono asks me.

“I have a trick.”

I pour a little milk into a plastic container and yell “Fred! Milk!”

I put the container into the carrier. Fred comes tearing around the corner and jumps onto the counter. She sniffs around looking for the milk. She finds it and goes into the carrier to drink it. I shut the door.

“You’d think she’d learn not to do that. I always use that to get her into the carrier.”

I guess I have everything I need. I look around and my eyes land on my coffee maker. There are two things I am addicted to. Books and coffee. (Three if you count Bono) I seriously consider taking it with me. I decide not to. They must have a coffee maker at the house.

Bono notices me considering the coffee maker. “Why don’t we take it with us. I know I need coffee in the morning and there may not be one there.”

“Sounds good. Why don’t you carry it because I have my hands full of cat.”

We take the coffee maker, suitcase and the cat out to the car.

The song “Elevation” blares from my pocket. It’s my phone. I answer it quickly and try not to look at Bono. “Waters”

It’s Kat. She and Edge have finished packing her stuff and are ready to go. She suggests we go get something to eat seeing as it’s lunch. I suggest we meet at the diner on B Street.

Kat and Edge beat us there and are sitting at a booth. I notice that they seem to be getting along really well. I wish I could relax around Bono but I just can’t.

Edge and Bono start talking about a song they are trying to write. Kat and I just sit back and listen to their voices. I’m not really hungry but I order a salad.

My phone goes off again, this time with the theme from C.O.P.S. I know its Baxter. “What’s up Lieu?” I say

“Yeah…I know where that is…an hour…what do you mean you got another letter?”

All of a sudden the other three are talking at once. “Shut it” I say. “No, not you Lieu.”

5 minutes later I shut my phone.

“Paul McGinnis called and said that you got another letter. This one was more of the creepy stuff. You were the only one for her, they figured out it was a female sending them. She can’t live with you. Stuff like that.”
Bono and Edge send each other worried looks.

“Don’t worry. You’ll be safe. We will do everything we can to keep you that way. After all, I don’t want to loose my boyfriend now do I?” I say jokingly.

Bono looks at me searchingly and apparently sees something because he nods and smiles at me.

We finish eating and go out to the cars.

“Um, why don’t Edge and Bono follow us in my car and we take your car Mags” Kat says.

“Why?” I ask.

Kat and Edge share a look. Apparently they’ve been comparing notes on Bono’s and mine driving.

“Well, I think they want to talk about a song or something.” She stammers out.

“Ok.” I say.

“I’ll drive then Mags.” She says.

“Why can’t I drive Kat?”

“Two words Mags. Fire Hydrant”

I stare at her while she holds out her hand for the keys.

“That wasn’t my fault. I didn’t know it was there.”

Edge is trying very hard not to laugh and Bono just grins.

“Fine. Take the stupid keys then.” I hand them over to Kat.

Edge just holds his hand out to Kat for her keys. Bono asks Edge if he could drive. Edge just rolls his eyes and takes the keys. Bono and I roll our eyes at each other and get in the passenger seats of the cars.

Kat and I lead the way to the safe house. We pull up in the driveway. I go up to the door and open it so we can take the stuff in. Apparently Paul McGuinness arranged to have Bono and Edges stuff brought over.

We haul in suitcases and the cat and all the other stuff we have. I look at Edge and Bono.

“Welcome home boys.”

Last edited:
dianepm said:
“Dibs on Bono”.

:lmao:

The plot thickens! Can't wait to see them sort the sleeping arrangements! Pfft, and what a loon...I bet she's putting pictures on her refrigerator or something :coocoo: like that. :shifty:

:applaud:

you know, dianepm, this way of yours to write briefly but essential makes your story flowing and pleasant to enjoy.

go on, you're doing well :up:

Re: Re: Bono Edge and the NYPD A.K.A. Cover Me Chapter 3

Bono Mot said:

I bet she's putting pictures on her refrigerator or something :coocoo: like that. :shifty:

she's a pleaban for sure...but who?...:shifty:

...now I must go on with rose's diary otherwise I will be given a scolding by mot :reject: ;)

Last edited:
My favorite parts here- "a license to carry those eyes"- PERFECT
Great visual- Bono with a beer watching her pack (her underwear)..very sweetly done.
Love that she has a cat- I am cat crazy, I love coffee, books and bono, too. hmmmm.

Diane, was the part about Bono finding out she is unloveable done intentionally? Is there something more to come about that line ? It caught my interest.
(glad you liked the title!!:hug: )

dianepm said:
Is a bad thing to know what the ending is but not the middle part?

no, it's not.
keep quite, diane. I am sure everyone of us can exactly image where to end with bono not caring about what's going on in the middle...:giggle: :angel:

dianepm said:
Thank you all for your positive feed-back! I really does mean a lot. I was once told by my grade 10 english teacher that my writing was "dry and unimaginative". It's taken me this long to start writing again.

:hug: Stupid teacher! I was once told that my writing style "was like Martin Scorcese meets Anne Tyler." :huh: I still don't know what to make of that, but it can't have been good! Just keep writing so we can enjoy it. :)

Back
Top Bottom