Bono discussing global poverty today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting another Bono bit!!

He can't help it, he's just a natural born charmer. Ain't no other like him.

Wonder what he whispered in NP's ear!!!???? :drool: Even if it was DATA related, I'll bet it still sounded SEXSAYYYY:drool:

He looks and sounds soooo darn good.

Posted October 5, 2007 | 10:46 AM (EST)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bono was in town the other night and had a small thank-you party for friends and allies to celebrate some successes in Africa with regard to poverty, AIDS, and other pandemic diseases. Joy and I went along, and it was nice to connect with him again. He gave a few remarks about signs of hope, even in the midst of so much still to do.
But there was another speaker. Agnes Nyamayarwo is a Ugandan nurse who has become an amazing activist in the battle against AIDS. She is HIV positive herself, lost her husband to AIDS, and unknowingly transmitted the disease to her unborn son, who also subsequently died. But Agnes is woman full of hope. Joy and I got to spend some time with her and heard her story.
Agnes is an extraordinary woman and a person of deep faith. "When I had nothing else left," she told us, "I learned to walk with God." She is very grateful to the American people for the aid that made possible the HIV/AIDS treatment that saved her life. There are 1.34 million Africans now on lifesaving drugs, thanks to U.S. efforts -- the most important thing the Bush administration has done. Here is a woman who has lost her husband and two sons, yet she has become a powerful activist and bright beacon of hope -- all of which she attributes to her faith. When George Bush visited her country, the leader of the free world gave Agnes a big hug. And she whispered in his ear, "What about the global fund?" (the international AIDS fund that still needs more investment). Agnes has an agenda and a faith and both are very substantial.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-wallis/agnes-aids-bush-and-bo_b_67297.html

bono0510.jpg

onekea said:
Posted October 5, 2007 | 10:46 AM (EST)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bono was in town the other night and had a small thank-you party for friends and allies to celebrate some successes in Africa with regard to poverty, AIDS, and other pandemic diseases. Joy and I went along, and it was nice to connect with him again. He gave a few remarks about signs of hope, even in the midst of so much still to do.
But there was another speaker. Agnes Nyamayarwo is a Ugandan nurse who has become an amazing activist in the battle against AIDS. She is HIV positive herself, lost her husband to AIDS, and unknowingly transmitted the disease to her unborn son, who also subsequently died. But Agnes is woman full of hope. Joy and I got to spend some time with her and heard her story.
Agnes is an extraordinary woman and a person of deep faith. "When I had nothing else left," she told us, "I learned to walk with God." She is very grateful to the American people for the aid that made possible the HIV/AIDS treatment that saved her life. There are 1.34 million Africans now on lifesaving drugs, thanks to U.S. efforts -- the most important thing the Bush administration has done. Here is a woman who has lost her husband and two sons, yet she has become a powerful activist and bright beacon of hope -- all of which she attributes to her faith. When George Bush visited her country, the leader of the free world gave Agnes a big hug. And she whispered in his ear, "What about the global fund?" (the international AIDS fund that still needs more investment). Agnes has an agenda and a faith and both are very substantial.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-wallis/agnes-aids-bush-and-bo_b_67297.html

What a beautiful story!:love: Agnes' story never fails to touch me, and her faith is amazing. I love Jim Wallis! Sojourners is a great organization, especially for Believers!

Ditto that.

Jim is great guy, and Sojourners is a great mag, I've been on his mailing list a couple yrs now. What I esp like is how, even though he's on the right-hand side of the abortion issue, he advocates getting people from both sides to come together and talk about their differences and tries to emphasize what the two camps may have in common. "Common ground"--that is the theme he stresses over and over. He might be the only person in America doing that, with that issue anyway.

I urge everyone to check out his book "God's Politics" if you haven't already. It's how a lot of people learned of him 2 yrs ago. Prob how Bono learned of him too.

Blm, sorry you aren't going to see Bruce BTW..but you have *Never* seen U2!?!?!?

PLEBANS, when the next tour comes, we should all have a "Let's BLM to a show" fund/thread. Hate to say it Blm but with U2 as with no one else (Not even Brooooce) the U2 concert IS the U2 experience. If you haven't seen them live you don't know what it's about. Its a religious experience, a veritable baptism of fire, and I don't make that comparison lightly--I've HAD a religious experience and sometimes (emotionwise) U2 IS just as good if not better! Aestheically speaking of course.

Another picture from Bono's visit to DC at the beginning of this month :

bono-and-tom-lantos-october-2-2007.jpg

U2 frontman and international activist Bono met today with House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Lantos, D-San Mateo, to discuss debt relief, fighting poverty and the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Bono, co-founder and a director of DATA (Debt AIDS Trade Africa) handed Lantos a book, “The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It,” by Paul Collier.

Miringeltje said:
Another picture from Bono's visit to DC at the beginning of this month :

what an intriguing close-up of this beautiful creature and his chest, miringeltje. :bow:

These almost life size pictures of Bono are so distracting, it is getting more and more difficult to think straight every day!!!
(but that's ok, i don't mind)

Miringletje, thanks for posting this.:hug:

Teta040 said:
Blm, sorry you aren't going to see Bruce BTW..but you have *Never* seen U2!?!?!?

PLEBANS, when the next tour comes, we should all have a "Let's BLM to a show" fund/thread. Hate to say it Blm but with U2 as with no one else (Not even Brooooce) the U2 concert IS the U2 experience. If you haven't seen them live you don't know what it's about. Its a religious experience, a veritable baptism of fire, and I don't make that comparison lightly--I've HAD a religious experience and sometimes (emotionwise) U2 IS just as good if not better! Aestheically speaking of course.

Wow blm, you've never been to a U2 concert? I thought I was the only one!! I am so incredibly excited for their next tour, I'm literally saving now so I can become a full-fledged groupie (maybe not the extent of deadheads, but then that's not the U2ers' style). A baptism of fire you say? Well, I am ready to be born anew. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hey thanks, Val. Missed you both Thursday nite.
Now that will be SOME road trip with you girls, for sure. I hope it comes true.
200?
:yes: :hyper:

Believe me, Teta040- I'll get there this time (They better tour at least ONE MORE TIME).

Oh sure they will! Is the grass green? Is the sky blue? Is.....? Well, I'll skip that one...

IMO< the guys have at least 3 tours left. Assuming they record every 3 yrs or so, they'll have the "pushing 50" tour in 08-09, one in their early 50's, one in their later 50's, that (depending on their career) would either be their Farewell Tour or their next to last.

As much as they love touring, I can't see them going past 60 like the Stones.

Geez, why did you get me thinking about this??*sob*....

^^^Hi neighbor:wave: ..and thank you, too.
(Okay, back on topic) or not...

ROSEBUD- :waiting: for the next tour. We will DEFINITELY be there:hi5:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom