Bono crying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
Recently reading the little snippet on Bono and Bob Geldoff in Vanity Fair, (right underneath their AMAZING photo) it reads that Geldoff went off for a walk "across the Gleneagles lawns, hunched down in a clearing, and began to sob.." Wow, it really touched me, because Geldoff never seems to show that side of himself to the public. But he obviously cares, and cares ALOT about what has happened in Africa. 20+ yrs worth of caring!
He's hard to read, especially since he said in a not too long ago interview something along the line of "Bono wants to hug the world, and I want to punch it's lights out.."

While reading the vanity fair snippet to one of my kids, my daughter commented, that she thought she'd never seen (on video/TV), heard, or read anything about Bono crying in public about something (like on stage or such).

For some reason in my mind, I can't help but think that it did happen sometime but I just can't seem to remember it, or maybe it just never happened. Any stories?

Last edited:
I remember a picture from 2002/2003, from one of Bono's activism speeches/visits, where he's clearly in tears.

Also, watch the Slane DVD at Kite and Original of the species - he got pretty emotional there. And the video for Please, but they cut that out.

U2girl said:
I remember a picture from 2002/2003, from one of Bono's activism speeches/visits, where he's clearly in tears.

Also, watch the Slane DVD at Kite and Original of the species - he got pretty emotional there. And the video for Please, but they cut that out.

I'm confused, Original of the Species at Slane Castle DVD? That was the elevation tour right?

where is that pic to be found? Anyone have it?

Last edited:
thankyou said:

I'm confused, Original of the Species at Slane Castle DVD? That was the elevation tour right?
I think she meant Kite on the Slane Castle DVD, and the Original of the Species music video.

He also loses during One on the PopMart Mexico video. He dedicated the song to Michael Hutchence, and is clearly emotional during it. He's blinking back tears, and you can hear it in his voice. In more than one spot his voice wobbles with it, and at one particular spot ("I've come here for forgiveness, but I can't raise the dead") he chokes back a sob.

EDIT: That'll teach me to take about 8 minutes to post because I went to go put the PopMart video on :wink:

Awww, it's sweet that he's emotional on subjects that he cares about. Kite is a beautiful song, and watching him cry makes me cry, it's so sad. I just wanna give him a big hug.

At the spring show I went to in Philadelphia, Bono had tears in his eyes as he sang Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. He pours so much of himself into every performance of that song, and of course it made me get tears in my eyes, too!

Bono got emotional when he recieved a Salute to Greatness Award from Martin Luther King's family. It was january 17, 2004.

This is a picture from there:
17.jpg

Probably it was because of this (but maybe no, I don't know):

“Bono is another son to me now,” said Mrs. King, smiling at him. “We officialized that today.”

this is from atu2.com report:

Bono was introduced by Coretta King, who told the crowd she has adopted Bono as another son. "This young man we are honoring tonight provides the shining example of a 21st century artist/humanitarian. Bono, on behalf of the King Center I salute you for your outstanding contributions as an eloquent and passionate advocate of the teachings of MLK Jr., and for your energetic and dedicated work for numerous human rights campaigns. Bono, your leadership has awakened millions of people to the prize of justice and human rights. Your commitment provides a wonderful example of an artist fully engaged as a world citizen and a vigorous champion of the oppressed and downtrodden in the spirit of MLK Jr. With heartfelt appreciation we present the 2004 Salute to Greatness Award to you in recognition of your shining example and your visionary leadership. With great respect and admiration we look forward to your even greater accomplishments to come...Bono, my new son."

Bono came to the podium, embraced Mrs. King and replied, "Mama...Oh, Mama! Wow! I haven't had a mom for 30 years or so, you might ruin everything. Probably wouldn't write songs, be insecure, need 20,000 people a night to say 'I love you' -- all that might be gone."

I believe I saw Bono tearing up a little bit when he sang 'In a Little While' after he talked about how that was the last thing Joey Ramone heard before he died. It was on the Boston Elevation DVD.

Bono always said if he didn't get into the songs, he would be able to hit the notes...

Its just a blessing to know there's at least one artist/singer in the world who isn't seeing Dollar signs.

Elevation Tour, London, 8/21/01.

The day that Bono's father died. I was at that show. When we got word in the GA line that his father had passed that morning, nobody knew whether the show would go on or be cancelled... of course, we all believed that it would be postponed (for VERY good reason). then we find out that the show is going on. we were shocked, to say the least. i was in the front row. when the band came out, i never saw them look so serious. bono was INTENSE that night.

Bono had tears in his eyes during many parts of the show (notably 'kite' and 'gone). however, he was full on crying during "With or Without You." he had to stop singing... it was gut-wrenching to watch. one of my friends took pictures. i'm not sure if they're online, but if i can find them i will post.

:sad:

*Ally* I would love to see your pictures if you can find them. Either 10-7 or 10-8 at MSG, I think I heard his voice wobble during Sometimes. :sad: From my vantage point in the front row of the ellipse, I couldn't get to verify. I love the fact that he pours his emotions into his songs :heart: .

Last edited:
*Ally* I'd love to see the pictures too
I don't remember exactly what he said but at the first Miami show I think Bono said it was his father's birthday...he was emotional during Sometimes then too

:sad: :heart:

He had a hard time during Sometimes Monday night in Charlotte as well. I couldn't tell if he was actually crying or not though.

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost felt like a voyeur during that song. It was so obviously personal and yet here we are, 20,000 people watching him have this moment. He was out on the ramp and fairly close, but I kind of didn't feel right whipping out the camera.

And it's been quite a while since I've watched it, but didn't he seem to be on the verge during the version of "Walk On" for the 9/11 benefit?

The only time I think I've seen him really cry was watching the video bootleg of the London show the day his dad died (especially WOWY....if I remember correctly towards the end he can't sing anymore and he kinda throws up his arms, steps back, and the crowd sings the rest). I wasn't there and the bootleg isn't all that great but the tone of that entire show definitely comes through.

Also, the two times I've seen him speak. He wasn't actually crying, but you could tell he was fighting it. The first time was when he told the story of when he and Ali were in Africa and a poor man brought them his only child, a baby son, because he knew the boy would die if no one could take better care of him.

The second time was a week later. The dancing/singing/drama troupe from Ghana that had been with Bono had prepared a surprise song to sing to him at the end b/c it was their last time together. I don't know what the song was, but it was SO CUTE. Bono was holding the 4 year old Dominique the entire time and she was playing with his hair and singing in his ear...he was trying so hard not to cry!

Also, I remember when MTV Diary of Bono and Chris Tucker in Africa came out, there was supposedly going to be a scene w/ Bono crying, but it wasn't there.

LivLuv do you have the video boot of the London show?

and I don't know if he cried or anything but I've also heard that the shows right after 9/11 were really emotional too. I'd love to see those aswell :heart:

*Ally* said:

The day that Bono's father died. I was at that show. When we got word in the GA line that his father had passed that morning, nobody knew whether the show would go on or be cancelled... of course, we all believed that it would be postponed (for VERY good reason). then we find out that the show is going on. we were shocked, to say the least. i was in the front row. when the band came out, i never saw them look so serious. bono was INTENSE that night.

Bono had tears in his eyes during many parts of the show (notably 'kite' and 'gone). however, he was full on crying during "With or Without You." he had to stop singing... it was gut-wrenching to watch. one of my friends took pictures. i'm not sure if they're online, but if i can find them i will post.

I was there that night too:sad:

I can't describe how intense the gig was, but the crowd and the rest of the band were there for Bono:hug:

*Ally* said:

That's so sad. :(

I hear several ppl say he cried on the slane dvd... I saw it a lot of times, twice today btw.. was bored... but I don't think he
's crying there! he doesn't look like he's crying..
if there is a video bootleg of WOWY that london night, would the person having it mind to post it here? I"m quite curious for that... I haven't found Boston here so I don't know about that one...

Sorry guys, my London 9/21 bootleg is on NTSC VHS and I don't have the equipment to convert to something digital :( The quality is not that great anyway and you can't see him crying up close, like tears coming down....but, if you watch the whole show....you get the feel of it....

There was one of the 1st leg Vertigo shows (maybe Seattle?) where Bono was crying when the little boy was on stage with him.

I saw him cry at the end of With or Without You at the Dallas Vertigo concert.

This tour and the last have been very emotional for several reasons.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Sorry guys, my London 9/21 bootleg is on NTSC VHS and I don't have the equipment to convert to something digital :( The quality is not that great anyway and you can't see him crying up close, like tears coming down....but, if you watch the whole show....you get the feel of it....
oh too bad, well that feeling is quite understandable tho... but what I don't get is, why didn't they postpone the show? Was this Bono's way of dealing with it... I think so..

the emotion and thought he puts into his activism and music is just incredible.

during 'Kite' on Slane, I couldn't help but get a few tears myself.

I'm sure he gets a few tears from being overjoyed during shows too :heart:
such a great man that Bono is

don't know about anyone else, but I almost felt like a voyeur during that song. It was so obviously personal and yet here we are, 20,000 people watching him have this moment. He was out on the ramp and fairly close, but I kind of didn't feel right whipping out the camera.

Oh, me too. :sad:

At the show Wednesday night, I was right on the rail and during Sometimes, it was difficult not to burst into tears. The emotion in his voice and on his face...all I could do was stand there and look at him. I'm sure I looked like a moron--I think I had my hand over my heart and I couldn't even sing along like I normally do. I just stared at him.

I don't think it's cool to hold up signs during that song.

Galeongirl said:

oh too bad, well that feeling is quite understandable tho... but what I don't get is, why didn't they postpone the show? Was this Bono's way of dealing with it... I think so..

I've often wondered the same thing. Maybe he felt that no matter when they did the show, he was going to feel like shit. So why make everyone go home and have to cancel the show, costing probably hundreds of thousands of dollars, just to wait another week or month in which case he'd still be grieving and it wouldn't be any easier for anyone. Also, I think things would've been different if Bob's death were sudden, or if a child had died....but since he was sick for so long....I'm just speculating here b/c obviously none of us know how close he was too the end at that point....

:(

Galeongirl said:

bono is a very interesting, complicated person (as we are all well aware!). in some ways, he needs the crowds, the fans, the show... performing is a huge part of his life. out of all the band members, he is the one who almost ALWAYS stops to sign things for fans. he gravitates towards the fans just about as much as the fans gravitate towards him. it's very interesting.

i don't know why he decided that the show should go on that night- maybe he thought it was a way to pay tribute to his father. or maybe it had something to do with how bono always says that, when it's good, a U2 show can "take you to another place".... and maybe bono wanted to go there.

i know that my friend took photos of WOWY on 8/21, but i don't know if they're online. i'll try to find them and will let you all know....

Last edited:
I just recently lot my mother... It was sudden, she commited suicide. She had been depressed, but i don't know for how long, cos she had been hiding it from me. I was at school when my dad came, and I was shocked when I got the message! My body just blocked everything! I couldn't think, move or cry. I just sat there shaking and got dizzy, and nearly fainted. It was so horrible! And neither I or any one else, even thought that mom would do something like that.. It's so painful to think about. This happened 1st November this year.. And after this experience, I think that Bono played the gig because he wanted to think about something else. He wanted to get away from it for a couple of hours that day. And I think it did him good! I'm trying to do things, like going to football practise, than to sit home staring at the wall.

And I must say that Streets, Kite, Sometimes and Stuck in a Moment really means a lot to me now. Even more than they did before. Streets (live at Slane Castle) was the first song I listened to after I got that message, and I started crying right away when Bono starts to sing "Ooooooooohhh" during "All I want is you"...

Back
Top Bottom