Bono crying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edgy Thing, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother and my uncle (just shortly after, and under not so great circumstances) a few months ago, so I understand a little of what you are going through. My thoughts are with you. :hug:

Edgy Thing :hug:
i hope we can help you in some way...

(i lost my grandfather this year...so many songs changed their meanings)

Awww :hug:
yeah, you're helping me lots! You guys make me laugh (the captions :lol: ) And you make me see some of U2's lyrics in a different way, where I can draw lines to what I'm experiencing now.. Thanks guys! :)

Edgy Thing,

I hope this doesn't sound flip, because it's meant to be a comfort, but my friend recently asked me if I faced every crisis in my life (of which there have been MANY) by quoting a U2 song. "Uh, yeah!" was my answer. I jokingly said that, really, all you need to know about life you can learn from "The Best of..." Anyway, I find Bono and the boys to be quite comforting. :heart: During one particularly bad time, I had "Some Days are Better Than Others" on constant loop, and while it annoyed my husband, it perversely made me feel better! Hang tough....:hug:
"Some days take less, but most days take more." :)

Yes they are! :heart: And I love listening to for example With or woithout you, to hear Edge's brilliant guitar-play. Or ny song, just to hear Bono's beautiful voice. :)

:hug:

the song Your Blue Room from the passengers album is quite soothing... I started listening to it alot when my granny passed away last month...

Edgy Thing my thoughts and prayers are with you. My dad passed away when i was 16 (im 19 now) and it was extremely tough because he was a great dad as well as a great friend. But you just have to keep going and im sure your mom is watching over you, and protecting you.

you will have good days, and bad days, but you will get through it.
:hug: :hug:

Last edited:
girlonstage522: yes, and the lyrics is about how my mom was feeling. At least I think so.. Cos it's about Michael Hutchence's suicide, and my mom commited suicide as I said. Like "you are such a fool to worry like you do", my mom said she ws afraid to walk the dog, and we live in a great neighboorhood! She was also very overprotective about me the last month.. I just see her in those lyrics.. And I understand her..

U2bpbear24: Thank you for sharing! :hug: It helps to hear from someone who has experienced the same thing, that things will get better after a while! :)
:hug:

i really admire how you are so brave to talk about it freely. props to you! music is a great healer, as are friends. hang in there babe :hug:

I'm not really an open person, I don't cry a lot... But it helps to talk to someone i don't know in person, but still feel like I can trust! :) So I think it's great that you guys are listening, cos I don't wanna sound like I'm marching in and command that you should feel sorry for me! I don't wanna sound all boohoo-y, even though I might have a good reason for it. i know what has happened is terrible, and it's not like I think it's nice or anything.. But it doesn't help to just get stuck in that moment :)wink:) and not get any longer.. I grieve in my own way, and believe me! I grieve! I just don't do it in public.. :) So I like PLEBA and all the PLEBANs! :hug:

LMBLover said:
Edgy Thing, thank you for sharing--God Bless:hug:

Jamila--Wow you wrote that report? awesome! Are you a journalist?

Well, I'm not a licensed journalist - just a person who has a good use of the English language and who wants to use my passion for words in a way to document the extraordinary presence of U2 (especially Bono's historic advocacy for social justice) for anyone who is interested to read.

I happen to share Bono's longtime love and concern for Africa, so that has been a plus too. ;)

I TRULY FELT BLESSED to have witnessed that moment when Bono almost choked with tears when he talked about being "adopted" by Mrs. King.

I was less than five ft away from him at the moment and REALLY FELT HIS EMOTION. :hug:

Thanks for your very kind words, LMBLover.

Happy Holidays. :hug:

You're welcome Jamila:) Bono has also inspired me..he played a big part in my desire to become a journalist (I'm in college now) to promote change in the world. He really stirred me when he was on Larry King Live three years ago talking about Africa.

Merry Christmas!

Edgy Thing said:
I just recently lot my mother... It was sudden, she commited suicide. She had been depressed, but i don't know for how long, cos she had been hiding it from me. I was at school when my dad came, and I was shocked when I got the message! My body just blocked everything! I couldn't think, move or cry. I just sat there shaking and got dizzy, and nearly fainted. It was so horrible! And neither I or any one else, even thought that mom would do something like that.. It's so painful to think about. This happened 1st November this year.. And after this experience, I think that Bono played the gig because he wanted to think about something else. He wanted to get away from it for a couple of hours that day. And I think it did him good! I'm trying to do things, like going to football practise, than to sit home staring at the wall.

And I must say that Streets, Kite, Sometimes and Stuck in a Moment really means a lot to me now. Even more than they did before. Streets (live at Slane Castle) was the first song I listened to after I got that message, and I started crying right away when Bono starts to sing "Ooooooooohhh" during "All I want is you"...

:( ...sorry to read about your loss...hang in there:hug:

Jamila said:

Well, I'm not a licensed journalist - just a person who has a good use of the English language and who wants to use my passion for words in a way to document the extraordinary presence of U2 (especially Bono's historic advocacy for social justice) for anyone who is interested to read.

I happen to share Bono's longtime love and concern for Africa, so that has been a plus too. ;)

I TRULY FELT BLESSED to have witnessed that moment when Bono almost choked with tears when he talked about being "adopted" by Mrs. King.

I was less than five ft away from him at the moment and REALLY FELT HIS EMOTION. :hug:

Thanks for your very kind words, LMBLover.

Happy Holidays. :hug:

What a wonderful and moving experience, I would have been in tears myself. I know Bono was truly honored to be adopted by Mrs. King. I am sure it was not a dry eye in the house. Thank you for sharing that with us J.
Happy Holidays to you Jamila and all the PLEABA gals!!!:wave:

^ thanks!! to you too!! :D

Hey Edgy Thing I cam up with this:

Oh, sugar don't you cry
Oh child wipe the tears from your eye
You know I need you to be strong
And the day is as dark as the night is long

:hug: Hold on to love :hug:

Last edited:
Carmelu2fan said:

What a wonderful and moving experience, I would have been in tears myself. I know Bono was truly honored to be adopted by Mrs. King. I am sure it was not a dry eye in the house. Thank you for sharing that with us J.
Happy Holidays to you Jamila and all the PLEABA gals!!!:wave:

Happy Holidays to you too, Carmelu2fan. :dancing:

And thanks very much for your very kind words.

Much more than any U2 concert memory, that very personal moment that Bono shared with about thirty of us at that press conference will always rest in my heart.

For anyone who really knew Bono's past and the "tears in his heart" after losing his mother, this statement by Bono as he was choking back emotion was overpowering.

LOVE AND PEACE.... :hug:

^ hey thanks Edgy Thing!! Merry Xmas to you as well!!!

And to all PLEBA:

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S !!

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

(Regardless of your religion) :wink:

Last edited:
riderka said:
Bono got emotional when he recieved a Salute to Greatness Award from Martin Luther King's family. It was january 17, 2004.

This is a picture from there:
17.jpg

Probably it was because of this (but maybe no, I don't know):

“Bono is another son to me now,” said Mrs. King, smiling at him. “We officialized that today.”

this is from atu2.com report:

Bono was introduced by Coretta King, who told the crowd she has adopted Bono as another son. "This young man we are honoring tonight provides the shining example of a 21st century artist/humanitarian. Bono, on behalf of the King Center I salute you for your outstanding contributions as an eloquent and passionate advocate of the teachings of MLK Jr., and for your energetic and dedicated work for numerous human rights campaigns. Bono, your leadership has awakened millions of people to the prize of justice and human rights. Your commitment provides a wonderful example of an artist fully engaged as a world citizen and a vigorous champion of the oppressed and downtrodden in the spirit of MLK Jr. With heartfelt appreciation we present the 2004 Salute to Greatness Award to you in recognition of your shining example and your visionary leadership. With great respect and admiration we look forward to your even greater accomplishments to come...Bono, my new son."

Bono came to the podium, embraced Mrs. King and replied, "Mama...Oh, Mama! Wow! I haven't had a mom for 30 years or so, you might ruin everything. Probably wouldn't write songs, be insecure, need 20,000 people a night to say 'I love you' -- all that might be gone."
Awwww,I just want to give Bono a hug here,looks like he needs one.

Back
Top Bottom