Bono crying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2forlife said:
Just replayed my DVD of MSG on 10-7, during Sometimes. Bono's voices does a little wobble when he sings, "...don't leave me here...alone..." :sad: However, he quickly recovers to hit the high note at the end. :heart:
That line almost always brings a tear to my eye. Even on the album version, you can hear the pain in his voice.

u2forlife said:
Just replayed my DVD of MSG on 10-7, during Sometimes. Bono's voices does a little wobble when he sings, "...don't leave me here...alone..." :sad: However, he quickly recovers to hit the high note at the end. :heart:

Bono's dad first saw U2 play live at MSG back in 1987.

just a bit of trivia...

Hi there u2forlife; I was at the 10/7 msg show 1st row behind stage (larry) saw you get up and dance we knew from the moment we saw you he was going to pick U! But anyway.. His voice was definately shaky on Sometimes, I was crying...

Edgy...So very sorry about your current situation...Sometimes I think if I sat down with Bono and discussed our parent issues we would have a lot in common especially the song I can relate so well.

A house doesn't make home, don't leave me here alone. Now that hit home:|

Thank you everybody for your replies.

would love to have any photos/links to the photos of WOWY on 8/21 if anyone has those, or the links to the London 9/21 moment.

Thanks again!

Thanks, JCOSTER!

That line means a lot to me; A house doesn't make a home, don't leave me here alone..
I'm having a hard time trying to consentrate and make things as "normal" as i can get them. But it's not the same without mom... I still live in the same house with my dad. my parents were divorced, so it's kinda new. So it can't be said better. A house doesn't make a home.

Im sorry Edgy hope things become better for you :hug:

As for Bono going on with the concert the night his father died. Maybe continuing on it helped him to temporarily escape the pain that he was feeling. By no means a permanent solution but perhaps he found comfort within the crowd. U2's music sometimes speaks of pain which is something all of us can relate to. Hope that their music helps them through the rough times as it has with me over the years.

Bono fights back tears (sometimes not successfully) every time that I have seen him in a speaking engagement on Africa.

I've been to five of these engagements already and will be going to the one he will be at in February.

Here is a report that I did over a year ago about the events in Memphis where Bono was honored by the National Civil Rights Museum.

I clearly state that he was fighting back his tears in his acceptance speech:

http://forum.interference.com/t100221.html

In the Name of Love - Bono :hug:

Edgy Thing said:

And I must say that Streets, Kite, Sometimes and Stuck in a Moment really means a lot to me now. Even more than they did before. Streets (live at Slane Castle) was the first song I listened to after I got that message, and I started crying right away when Bono starts to sing "Ooooooooohhh" during "All I want is you"...

This is so heartbreaking.. You will have to work through this very carefully. Stay with U2's music it will help you through it. Of course you know sorrow takes it own course, but you will survive.

and I think you are right in the other post - when you say Bono may have wanted to just be away from it for a little while.
It's there and he has to deal with it but he want's to be with his large extended family also, because that's what he needed to do to get through.. Otherwise he would not have done it..

Hang in there Edgy other houses do make a home when enough heart is put into it..:heart:

I do remember him crying during Sometimes... at the Sept 21 show in Chicago this year!

Also theline that gets me is...

We fight all the time
You and I… that’s alright
We’re the same soul
I don’t need… I don’t need to hear you say
That if we weren’t so alike
You’d like me a whole lot more

That is also the patrt that made Bono cry at my show!

I wonder if he's truly crying...or if the song is so suggestive? I mean....he could be....but I was right under his nose on the rail outside the ellipse where he stands for Sometimes 4 times on this tour (5/9, 9/20, 9/21, 12/14) and I don't remember thinking "oh god, look at him cry". It's hard for me to distinguish tears from the combination of emotion and sweat he puts into every song he sings! I guess I'm more of an "innnocent 'till proven guilty" person. I think the act of singing the song itself is emotional enough...we don't have to see him cry everytime to make it genuine.

Last edited:
riderka said:

Bono came to the podium, embraced Mrs. King and replied, "Mama...Oh, Mama! Wow! I haven't had a mom for 30 years or so, you might ruin everything. Probably wouldn't write songs, be insecure, need 20,000 people a night to say 'I love you' -- all that might be gone."

I've always felt, when reading Bono's interviews, that losing his mother was devastating to him. "A house doesn't make a home.." that seems to be something he has said so many times, even used in his song "Sometimes you can't make it on your own". The quote, obviously referes back to the loss of his mother. In the song MOFO "mother, am I still your son..?", and several other references.

Reading this quote about Bono and Mrs. King, was very moving.

Thank you, sue4u2! Yeah, I know, U2's music helps me relax, cry or smile. I got the Vertigo DVD from my dad 3 weeks later, and then I sat smiling sometimes. And I really wanna go to a U2 show soon, cos I've never been to one... :(

Yes, my friends have all been so supportive!! They have really helped me along this month!

On the Elevation DVD Bono says that Kite is about letting go of someone you don't wanna let go of. That's how I see the song now. My moms song...

Since Bono lost his mother when he was 14(15) years old and he then got worse at school, and started with music. I'm a little nervous about how things are gonna be.. I'm 15 and I had good grades at school before, but now I can't consentrate. I know it's normal now, but this just fall out of my head. So I'm trying hard, cos I wanna be a vet, and I need good grades. I just can't believe how Bono managed to remember the songs, or didn't he? I wasn't at one of those gigs, so I can't really say anything about it. Anyone who was there know?

bearleft said:
He had a hard time during Sometimes Monday night in Charlotte as well. I couldn't tell if he was actually crying or not though.

He looked teary-eyed to me...I got crying watching him!

thankyou said:

I've always felt, when reading Bono's interviews, that losing his mother was devastating to him. "A house doesn't make a home.." that seems to be something he has said so many times, even used in his song "Sometimes you can't make it on your own". The quote, obviously referes back to the loss of his mother. In the song MOFO "mother, am I still your son..?", and several other references.

Reading this quote about Bono and Mrs. King, was very moving.

You are undoubtedly very close to the truth. thankyou.

I was at that event also and at the press conference before the Awards ceremony, Bono talked again about his joy that Mrs. King had "adopted" him.

His exact words went something like it had been thirty years since he had a mother and he felt overjoyed about it.

Here is the exact excerpt:

On Jan. 17, after spending the day at the King Center talking with AIDS and other community activists, Bono showed up for a short press conference at the Hyatt Regency with Coretta Scott King and Laysha Ford, representing the Target Corporation, the other Salute to Greatness honoree. During the press conference Bono talked about many of the topics closest to his heart—the AIDS pandemic, DATA, Africa's future and Martin Luther King Jr.

More than the words spoken, the very amicable interaction between Bono and Mrs. King that was most striking. They laughed, exchanged affectionate glances and genuinely got along beautifully together. It was as if they had both found what they were looking for, a soul connection. Whether from mother to son or son to mother (King had "adopted" Bono earlier in the day), they were connecting with each other on a very real level and everyone present was witnessing their transformation.

For Bono, this connection seemed to be especially important, his joy was palpable as he told us, "Coretta told me today, she said 'You're my boy now,' she adopted me. I haven't had a mama for 30 years so I'm excited about it." It felt like a sort of Homecoming for Bono.

http://forum.interference.com/t87631.html

In the Name of Love....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I wonder if he's truly crying...or if the song is so suggestive? I mean....he could be....but I was right under his nose on the rail outside the ellipse where he stands for Sometimes 4 times on this tour (5/9, 9/20, 9/21, 12/14) and I don't remember thinking "oh god, look at him cry". It's hard for me to distinguish tears from the combination of emotion and sweat he puts into every song he sings! I guess I'm more of an "innnocent 'till proven guilty" person. I think the act of singing the song itself is emotional enough...we don't have to see him cry everytime to make it genuine.

I agree with you.. I don't think he is crying at all, well I've never been to a u2 show so I can't really judge about it, but I saw the slane dvd alot last month... and I don't think he cries during Kite... he always says that to hit the high notes, he has to be in the song... and that is emotionally very tough sometimes, so while larry looks freakin mad when he concentrates, B might look a bit teary eyed to focus on the songs... and on the vertigo dvd you can see that he now wipes his face with a towel after three or four songs... bono, a hint... if you want to sweat less, wear less clothes :drool:

Galeongirl said:
I agree with you.. I don't think he is crying at all, well I've never been to a u2 show so I can't really judge about it, but I saw the slane dvd alot last month... and I don't think he cries during Kite... he always says that to hit the high notes, he has to be in the song... and that is emotionally very tough sometimes, so while larry looks freakin mad when he concentrates, B might look a bit teary eyed to focus on the songs... and on the vertigo dvd you can see that he now wipes his face with a towel after three or four songs... bono, a hint... if you want to sweat less, wear less clothes :drool:

Yeah....the reason I think what I said is, has anyone ever tried to sing while truly crying? It's pretty much impossible. The only time I've really ever seen that from Bono was WOWY on 9/21/01 and One from the first Slane show. If he was really crying every time he sang Sometimes, there's no way he could sing it the way he does.

Of course we can't say for sure, I just don't think it's right to always assume he's crying during that song when we really don't know for sure. Like I said, I stood right on the rail where he stands during Sometimes and last night I went back and looked at my pics and all I see is sweat...his eyes are wide open and his nose isn't running. I think he cries with the song, not literally.

I think he /was/ crying. Not all out sobbing, mind, but definitely crying. You can cry and sing at the same time. I've done it.

You can hear it in his voice during Kite on the Slane DVD. He gets all choked up.

GracelandHarley said:
:hug: Edgy Thing :hug: Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers to you!
If you need a shoulder, please let me, or anyone else here at PLEBA, know!! :hug:

:hug: Thank you! :)
And, yes I will!

Edgy thing:

just read your post. So sorry about this really tough time you are going through. Send you my love. Stay in touch with Pleba. "talking" helps.

:heart: :heart: :hug:

Yes, I know! :)
And concidering we all love U2's songs, I think this is a perfect place to talk. Cos insensitive people don't listen to great music like U2's!
Thanks huys for caring! :hug:

I clearly remember Bono crying during Kite at the first Slane show on 8/25... It was not the show filmed for the DVD... It was a very emotional night... One was very powerful too, with pics of Bob Hewson on all screens....

Hey Edgy Thing, I really wish you the best. I know it must be an almost impossible pain to deal with, but remember, ALMOST impossible. You seem so strong, sharing this with us so soon :) I hope you recover quickly. Surely it is not something that that you can forget and obviously you don't want to, but at least try to treat the situation in a way that'll make you a stronger person :hug:

Thank you! :hug:
yes, i try to get along, almost like normal. But I guess I just haven't understood it yet... :/ As I've said, I'm having trouble concentrating and i have so many thoughts in my head, that i can't sort out. My head is just one big mess right now! So sorry if my english is bad!

Edgy Thing said:
Thank you! :hug:
yes, i try to get along, almost like normal. But I guess I just haven't understood it yet... :/ As I've said, I'm having trouble concentrating and i have so many thoughts in my head, that i can't sort out. My head is just one big mess right now! So sorry if my english is bad!

FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE REPLIED TO EDGY THING

Everyone has been so caring and supportive. How would some of you feel about quoting their favorite lyrics from a U2 song for Edgy Thing, that we feel would be of help or uplifting? So often U2 lyrics come to mind that seem to help us during a trying time. Anyone interested in sharing?

Here's one I like, when I don't understand why certain things happen to us in life:

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born

(sometimes there is pain, before there can be joy)

Yahewh, Yahweh
Still I’m waiting for the dawn

Still waiting for the dawn,

(then the message of hope)

the sun is coming up
The sun is coming up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean

Last edited:
Wow, you've actually made me look at (hear) that song ina different way! Not that I don't like it, but i haven't thought about it in the way you describe it now. The message of hope :) Thank you! :hug:

i 100% agree with thankyou on the Yahweh lyrics- those really apply to something so hard as loss- rather anything especially difficult and hard to deal with. edgy thing :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom