Bono copying Gavin Friday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
Anyone else think that Bono's trying to copy Gavin Friday? He wears the boots like him-wears hair like him-and talks like him. No?

Gavin only wishes he could wear his boots like Bono. :wink:

They are friends, its only natural that they will influence each other.
(But its obvious gavins copying Bono!)

It's funny, Gavin's actually been seen sporting some of Bono's stuff. He wore one of Bono's jackets to the Golden Globes, as well as the Selima sunglasses Bono wore early Elevation.

Yet, during Elevation, Bono was seen wearing an embroidered shirt that Adam wore for some of the pictures in the 2001 (? I think) U2 calendar.

My humble opinion...

I really don't believe Gavin's copying Bono. Gavin is unique and unlike anything I had ever seen before. They might be getting little things from each other like the shoes and other trivial stuff.
But when you listen to Gavin's music and what he has to say you will notice that he has his own thing going on.

I think Bono should be proud to have such a friend like Gavin. (By the way, without Gavin the song With or Without You would have ended up in the thrash instead of on the Album.. Bono admitted that himself!)

Read this old thread if you're really interested in this comparison between Bono and Gavin Friday.. A lot of useful info in here..

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.phps=&threadid=147806

Bono and Gavin have been friends since they were eleven years old. It makes perfect sense that they would copy one another's styles. And if you want to get technical, Larry has been wearing Creepers (those chunky shoes) since the 80s, and Bono's been wearing them all through the Vertigo tour.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Bono and Gavin have been friends since they were eleven years old. It makes perfect sense that they would copy one another's styles.

:up: I'm sure Gavin "copies" Bono just as much as Bono "copies" Gavin. if you're best friends, it makes sense to have similarities, style included.

CMM said:
It's funny, Gavin's actually been seen sporting some of Bono's stuff. He wore one of Bono's jackets to the Golden Globes, as well as the Selima sunglasses Bono wore early Elevation.

Yet, during Elevation, Bono was seen wearing an embroidered shirt that Adam wore for some of the pictures in the 2001 (? I think) U2 calendar.

thats so adorable:cute: they share*warm fuzzies

AtomicBono said:

:up: I'm sure Gavin "copies" Bono just as much as Bono "copies" Gavin. if you're best friends, it makes sense to have similarities, style included.

I totally agree. I saw Gavin perform on Thursday night with a few old mates that had never seen him before and they commented that his mannerisms were at time similar to Bono, but we all agreed that Bono has Gavinisms and Gavin has Bonoisms, and if you want to analyse it, I would say that Bono takes more from Count Friday than the reverse.

i read in U2 @ the end of the world that bill flannagan says something like "bono and gavin friday meet and soon start copying eachother" i may have misquoted but it was somewhere in that neighborhood.

t8thgr8 said:
i read in U2 @ the end of the world that bill flannagan says something like "bono and gavin friday meet and soon start copying eachother" i may have misquoted but it was somewhere in that neighborhood.

I just finished that book and yes that was true, that was a while ago though, and its true friends like they are usually unintentionally take on others likes and qualities. People think that myself and my best friend are sisters.:huh:

t8thgr8 said:
Ah, I'd forgotten about that, but it certainly does ring a bell. Also, the photo of the two of them in the book also has the caption: "Bono and Gavin Friday in the middle of turning into eachother."

It was Gavin who found the Macphisto shades, and the horns in the Bill Flanagan book. They joked Bono was doing a lot of Gavinisms with his Macphisto character. Gavin joked he was going to start waving a white flag at his concerts, (this was in the early 90's). They're best friends it's quite natural for friends to emulate each other.

Back
Top Bottom