Bono, Bob Geldof press G-8 on aid to Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here you go ;)...I threw in Geldof too, hope you guys dont mind :)

b381e74b.jpg

effdb8ec.jpg

More on PEPFAR's troubles in Congress. If you are an American and have not signed this petition for ONE, please do so now!

YOU can help prevent that....SIGN THIS PETITION! :applaud:

Reid, McConnell and PEPFAR

:bono::heart::heart::hug:
Gotta love Bono....

I've been keeping up with it too. I'v been emailing through One and individualy and making call's as well. I think Jeff Sessions is aganist this and I am determined to be part of a reason for him to chang his mind.:up:

Thanks for all the videos of Bono & Bob in France earlier this week. They are truly appreciated.:cute:

I'm not sure where else to post this little tidbit about where Bono was today (at least in spirit) so I'll just add it here:

Bono pays tribute to Hume
June 20, 2008

Irish rock legend Bono has saluted John Hume prior to the unveiling of
his mural in the Bogside today.

In a message to the Nobel Laureate, apologising for his non-attendance
at the event, Bono praises Hume for his contribution to the peace
process.

It reads: "We have a simple rule in U2. If John Hume asks, just say
yes. As Dr. King, using leadership, changed the United States, so,
too, did this man for the people of Ireland. We salute you."

The mural - located on Rossville Street opposite Pilot's Row Community
Centre - will be unveiled this afternoon by retired Bishop of Derry,
Dr. Edward Daly.

The painting - the brainchild of the Bogside Artists - also includes
images of high-profile peacemakers Dr. Martin Luther King, Nelson
Mandela and Mother Theresa.

____________ _______

Gotta love Bono....:bonodrum::love::hug:

I'm sorry....this article was posted in the Derry Journal. (IE) :up:

There is some hopeful news on the future of the PEPFAR program.

The battle is not over yet but it is looking better!

So please make sure to contact your Senators TOMORROW and let them know that you support the re-authorization (extension) of the PEPFAR program.

Thanks.... :bono::heart::heart::hug:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Politics and Policy | Sen. Reid Sets Tuesday Deadline for Agreement on PEPFAR Reauthorization Legislation

[Jun 20, 2008]

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has set a Tuesday deadline for negotiators to come to an agreement on measures (HR 5501, S 2731) that would reauthorize the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the AP/Google.com reports. In a statement released on Thursday, Reid said it is "confounding and indefensible" that seven Republican senators, led by Sen. Tom Coburn (Okla.), are blocking a vote. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair Joseph Biden (D-Del.) and Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), the committee's ranking member, are working on a compromise, according to Reid (Abrams, AP/Google.com, 6/19). Coburn on Thursday said that he did not want to comment on the issue because negotiations were still ongoing with the White House (Reilly, The Politico/CBS News, 6/19).

The Senate version of the PEPFAR reauthorization bill passed the Foreign Relations Committee in March, and the House version was approved 308-116 in April. Both the Senate and House versions of the bill would reauthorize PEPFAR at $50 billion over five years. However, Coburn and six other Republican senators are blocking the legislation because they are opposed to the legislation's cost and "mission creep" into health and development efforts. In addition, they want language inserted into the measure that would guarantee that 55% of PEPFAR funding goes toward treatment, including antiretroviral drugs. Some advocates have said that they would agree to the treatment language but that efforts to compromise with Coburn have been ineffective (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 6/19).

"There is no question that PEPFAR has been the most successful foreign aid program since the Marshall Plan," Coburn said during a recent speech. He also has said that without the funding provision for treatment programs, money could be diverted into unrelated development and poverty programs. Coburn added, "Will we turn PEPFAR into just another bloated, unmeasured and unmeasurable foreign aid program with no accountability and no real impact?" Some other conservative lawmakers also are concerned that funds will go toward "politically sensitive" programs -- including the "distribution of condoms, male circumcision or family planning" -- the AP/Google.com reports.

Coburn and supporters of the block face "heavyweight" opponents who support passage of the reauthorization legislation, the AP/Google.com reports. Presumptive presidential nominees Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.) are both co-sponsors of the Senate bill. Obama recently said, "Today an estimated 40 million people around the world are living with HIV/AIDS, with over four million new infections in 2006 alone." He added, "I urge my colleagues to bring this important bill to the Senate floor for a vote as soon as possible." In addition, 14 Republican senators, led by Lugar, last month wrote Senate leaders urging quick consideration of the bill. They wrote that PEPFAR "has served as a powerful demonstration of U.S. leadership and compassion throughout the world." Lugar has stressed the need to act before President Bush goes to the summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations next month in Hokkaido, Japan (AP/Google.com 6/19).

Politics and Policy | Sen. Reid Sets Tuesday Deadline for Agreement on PEPFAR Reauthorization Legislation - Kaisernetwork.org

Back
Top Bottom