Bono bar-red from voting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
Bono might be pally with top politicians like Blair, Bush and Clinton - but he'd rather spend a beautiful day in the boozer than exercise his franchise.

The U2 frontman just couldn't find the time to cast his vote for any of his local candidates in the Ballybrack ward of Dun Laoghaire Council on Friday last. The Ballymun native spent much of election day sipping tequila with friends such as Simon Carmody in the bar at the Herbert Park Hotel. Ballsbridge.

And whenn asked by reporters whether he voted the singer admitted: "I'm ashamed to say, I didn't".

"Uh oh, it looks like I messed up!" Bono added.

The hotel bar was a popular place as legendary singer Van Morrison was spotted there earlier.

Bono's failure to mark his cross will come as s surprise to many. After all. he has a long standing record of campaigning for a host of causes. The Northsider has been vocal on issues such as Sellafield, the North, and Third-World debt.

Maybe when it comes to politics, Bono thinks, 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'...

Article gleaned from The Irish Sun - written by Dermot O'Hara

i wondered already if bono went voting, so no :angry:
i really thought he would be the first one to vote..
so but in belgium we all have to go voting and i think there should be compulsory voting in every country. because why should you live in a country and don't let your voice count...
that's just my opinion

Hanover said:
Bono might be pally with top politicians like Blair, Bush and Clinton - but he'd rather spend a beautiful day in the boozer than exercise his franchise.

The U2 frontman just couldn't find the time to cast his vote for any of his local candidates in the Ballybrack ward of Dun Laoghaire Council on Friday last. The Ballymun native spent much of election day sipping tequila with friends such as Simon Carmody in the bar at the Herbert Park Hotel. Ballsbridge.

And whenn asked by reporters whether he voted the singer admitted: "I'm ashamed to say, I didn't".

The hotel bar was a popular place as legendary singer Van Morrison was spotted there earlier.

Bono's failure to mark his cross will come as s surprise to many. After all. he has a long standing record of campaigning for a host of causes. The Northsider has been vocal on issues such as Sellafield, the North, and Third-World debt.

Maybe when it comes to politics, Bono thinks, 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'...

Article gleaned from The Irish Sun - written by Dermot O'Hara

Maybe you should post this in that 'how often to they visit the pub' thread in EYKIW! :lmao:

Am?lie said:
i wondered already if bono went voting, so no :angry:
i really thought he would be the first one to vote..
so but in belgium we all have to go voting and i think there should be compulsory voting in every country. because why should you live in a country and don't let your voice count...
that's just my opinion

Yeah, I agree. Here in Brazil we HAVE to vote too.

I don't think it's good for Bono's credibility the fact that he didn't voted, I mean it makes him look like a hypocrite after all the political activities he involved himself in. By the way I know that Bono ISN'T a hypocrite SO DON'T JUMP ON ME PEOPLE!!!

Hanover said:
vote for any of his local candidates in the Ballybrack ward of Dun Laoghaire Council on Friday last.

I'm not sure I've quite understood this - what/who was it excatly they were voting for?! :confused:
We've just voted for the European parlament here, so...

Hanover said:

:ohmy: He's got that right!
There are people in this world fighting and loosing their lives for a democratic society and their right to vote :| ... We should be gratefull that we have the oppotunity to make a difference - and use it whenever we can when there is something that requires our vote!

TheBrazilianFly said:

I mean it makes him look like a hypocrite after all the political activities he involved himself in. By the way I know that Bono ISN'T a hypocrite SO DON'T JUMP ON ME PEOPLE!!!

I'm not jumping on you , but I don't really see Bono as being all that "political". It always really bothers me when he is described in the papers as a "political activist". I think all of the issues he has chosen to support are social justice issues, above and beyond politics. He has made a point of being apolitical in his work with DATA. He will talk to anyone accross the political spectrum, which is one of the reasons he has been so successful. He doesn't play politics.

(This election, by the way, was for local town councillors, so hardly world shattering issues being decided.)

I agree, though, that voting should be mandatory.

What Bono does isn't partisan politics. It's another thing entirely. For the record, even though I vote pretty regularly, I didn't vote in the last elections, the state party primaries. All but one of the nominees had already clinched their nominations, and the idiots scheduled our elections for June so that they're practically irrelevent. :censored: :censored: It's so stupid. I will be voting in November however. So just because he didn't vote in that election doesn't mean he doesn't vote.

biff said:

I'm not jumping on you , but I don't really see Bono as being all that "political". It always really bothers me when he is described in the papers as a "political activist". I think all of the issues he has chosen to support are social justice issues, above and beyond politics. He has made a point of being apolitical in his work with DATA. He will talk to anyone accross the political spectrum, which is one of the reasons he has been so successful. He doesn't play politics.

(This election, by the way, was for local town councillors, so hardly world shattering issues being decided.)

I agree, though, that voting should be mandatory.

You're kinda right. :up: I thought the election was for mayor or something though, that's why I said it was bad for his credibility. I also don't think Bono is all that political but is just that he has said before that people must cast their vote and express their opinions and this and that so I thought it was wrong that he didn't voted. But I guess it wasen't that important.

TheBrazilianFly said:

You're kinda right. :up: I thought the election was for mayor or something though, that's why I said it was bad for his credibility. I also don't think Bono is all that political but is just that he has said before that people must cast their vote and express their opinions and this and that so I thought it was wrong that he didn't voted. But I guess it wasen't that important.

:yes: I think the article was kind of slanted in the way it was written.

verte, last week on The Daily Show, they had a piece about one of the states just now holding their Democratic primaries :huh:

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

verte, last week on The Daily Show, they had a piece about one of the states just now holding their Democratic primaries :huh:

Of course! It's a tabloid. They always try to make something out of nothing.

Dun Laoghaire? (pronounced Done Leary) I never really understood how it all worked so I guess that's the section of Dublin that Killiney is in. I remember taking bus 46A to Dun Laoghaire.

Bono was too busy having a pint LOL :heart:

Thanks for the pronunciation MG! :up: All this time I'd been reading it as Dun Loghair (rhymes with dog hair) :reject:

kellyahern said:

That was us! Grrrr........:censored: :censored: It was definitely slanted, maybe the election wasn't very competitive or whatever. It didn't say.

U2Kitten said:
Thanks for the pronunciation MG! :up: All this time I'd been reading it as Dun Loghair (rhymes with dog hair) :reject:

I pronounced it like that the first time I got on the bus cos you have to tell the bus driver where you're going and he gave me this weird look and says "You mean DONE LEARY?" I felt so embarassed. LOL

yea he probly invited a few catcalls by getting caught not voting, but sheesh the article was written without providing much information....
like the rest of you said, slanted to put him in an embarrassing light.

I mean for pete's sake I didn't bother voting in my recent town election either, because everyone was incumbent, running unopposed.. but I am without fail present at state/national votes. I do recognize that in other places in the world people lose their lives for this right and I never treat it lightly; I suspect the same is true for Bono.

Isn't he just so coy. :wink: I mean really, why would he tell a anyone especially a tabloid/paper who, what, when,if he voted. Since you know the next question will be, who did you vote for?...

Oh, and Martha you will need an assistant. so I'll be :happy: to tag along. ;)

i didn't know that it was just a local election,because we had to vote for the european parlement and it wasn't just local...
my mistake
yeah sure those nasty tabloids!!!

I think you were right Am?lie.
Me too, i think they held European elections in Ireland on friday or saturday. So it wasn't just local .
Maybe they had both, just like we did.
If he really intended to vote, he would have, pint or no pint!
Too bad!

martha said:
Someone should go have a talk with the dear boy about how a democracy functions.

I volunteer.

I know it's a dirty job :wink: , but someone's got to do it.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom