Bono at Claremont McKenna College

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blm

New Yorker
I didn't see this posted yet on Interference (maybe I am wrong)-

Bono: A Lesson in Giving Back
Set for Tuesday, Oct. 30

Date Issued: 08/30/2007

Bono, lead singer of U2 and noted humanitarian, will present a lecture, A Lesson in Giving Back, at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 30, as a guest of Claremont McKenna College at Bridges Auditorium. Bono was named Time Magazine’s 2005 Person of the Year (shared with Bill and Melinda Gates), and has received the Legion d’Honneur from the French government and an honorary British knighthood earlier this year.

Formed in 1978, U2 has sold more than 140 million albums and won 22 Grammy awards to date. In addition to his significant cultural impact through U2, Bono is a well-known advocate in the fight against AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa.

In 2002, he co-founded DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) to raise public awareness of the issues in its name, and influence government policy on Africa. On behalf of DATA, Bono has lobbied U.S. Presidents and Congressional leaders, along with the heads of many other G8 nations. DATA is a founding member of the One Campaign to Make Poverty History, part of a global network of millions of people campaigning against extreme poverty.

In 2006, Bono with Bobby Shriver launched Product (RED) to raise money from businesses to buy AIDS drugs for people in Africa unable to afford them. Product (RED) have an ongoing relationship with a number of iconic global brands who sell (RED) products and donate a percentage of the profits directly to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

The lecture is free of charge, with one ticket reserved for every Claremont McKenna College student, faculty, and staff. CMC students will be seated together on the main floor, with ticket distribution handled earlier this month by the Office of the Dean of Students. CMC faculty and staff tickets also were distributed in early October. In addition, approximately 600 tickets were provided to other students within The Claremont Colleges, with distribution handled by the individual Deans of Students offices in October.

Remote feeds to the presentation at Bridges will be provided at two locations and are free and open to the public on a first-come basis: Rose Hills Auditorium (located within Pomona College's Smith Center) and McKenna Auditorim, located on the CMC campus.

Doors open at 6:30pm.

Any California pleabans going? If anyone goes to the remote feeds, any chance of taping and posting here? Is that allowed??

The man really needs to give his voice a rest already.

Last edited:
JCOSTER said:

So he's done with NYC! Now go home and make some music!!!!

:yes: but, before, don't we miss this:

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31
Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas
Bono Speaks at IMPACT Conference
11:00am – 12:30pm Closing General Session
Featured Speaker: Bono, Musician and campaigner against AIDS and poverty in Africa
http://www.impact.schwab.com/confagenda.html

I'm happy to think he's going to work again on the new album but I'm sure once he will be back home I'll miss all this rove of him here and there...geez, it's almost a month that we have updates pics and news about his movements!

onekea said:

:yes: but, before, don't we miss this:

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31
Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas
Bono Speaks at IMPACT Conference
11:00am – 12:30pm Closing General Session
Featured Speaker: Bono, Musician and campaigner against AIDS and poverty in Africa
http://www.impact.schwab.com/confagenda.html

I'm happy to think he's going to work again on the new album but I'm sure once he will be back home I'll miss all this rove of him here and there...geez, it's almost a month that we have updates pics and news about his movements!

I have to admit I agree with you, but I want a concert again!!!

Dion, best of luck....if you see Brian tell him the girl from NYC with the red hat says hi. :giggle:

Wow, Bono has a very tight schedule! Although I would LOVE for him to go back to work on new music, I will so miss all these news and photos once he's leaving the USA. In the meantime I'm just enjoying all of it.

For all the good work he does outside the band I am sure he can't wait to get back to his first love.. THE MUSIC!! :D
We can't wait either!! It will be great to have them back in the studio!

Yes, Good luck Dion and anybody else headed for Vegas!
Remember what happens there CANNOT stay there where Bono is concerned. k? :)
I hope you get some great moments with him!

My friend works at Pomona College (a school within the CMC group) and got a ticket... I'm so jealous! It's only 10 minutes away from where I live and wish I could be there...

Jesus Girl meets Bono again!

I just got off the phone with Jesus Girl (Dion), and she informs me that she got to meet Bono :drool: again about 45 minutes or so ago. She got some pictures :camera: and will post them later tomorrow! YAY!!! :yippie:

now here comes the :waiting: part

Re: Jesus Girl meets Bono again!

bonohero said:
I just got off the phone with Jesus Girl (Dion), and she informs me that she got to meet Bono :drool: again about 45 minutes or so ago. She got some pictures :camera: and will post them later tomorrow! YAY!!! :yippie:

now here comes the :waiting: part

:hyper: Can't wait to hear from her. Just sent her a text message (hopefully she gets it). Due to the timing & distance, I could not attend today :(

I go to Scripps college (part of the claremont consortium) and didn't win a ticket in the lottery, but one of my friends gave me hers 2 hours before the event :hyper: I was sat pretty close and enjoyed his speech a lot, he is so funny! At one point his cell phone was going off and interfering with the mic so he pretended to answer it and then gave it to someone offstage. The questions asked afterwards were pretty pointless because they were things he had already discussed. I remember him saying "Sorry I am so anecdotal tonight, I had a gin and tonic" :lol:

Bonos_Lemon said:
I go to Scripps college (part of the claremont consortium) and didn't win a ticket in the lottery, but one of my friends gave me hers 2 hours before the event :hyper: I was sat pretty close and enjoyed his speech a lot, he is so funny! At one point his cell phone was going off and interfering with the mic so he pretended to answer it and then gave it to someone offstage. The questions asked afterwards were pretty pointless because they were things he had already discussed. I remember him saying "Sorry I am so anecdotal tonight, I had a gin and tonic" :lol:

:lol:

Lucky you got in tonight - good for you! Did you happen to take any photos? Do you know if there were a lot of people hanging around before/after the speech? Was it about an hour? More details please! :)

Bonos_Lemon said:

Awww, thanks for sharing, this sounds soooo cool!

I would love to see photos or videos of this event! Bono is one busy guy.

how exciting Jeaus girl met bono and Bonos_Lemon seeing the speech too :D Looking forward to seeing the photos :D

unico said:

at Tyson's :D

thanks for sharing your experiences! i think having a gin and tonic before public speaking is a grand idea. it could help reduce the anxiety :drunk:

I agree. I'm always having one or two drinks before public appearances like speaking or reading in front of an audience. It helps to reduce your nervousness! But one shouldn't overdo it, because it might become a little embarrassing.

Anyway, I would love to see/hear this particular Bono speech. Are there really no photos around?

CAN'T WAIT FOR DIONS STORY!!!!!

I KNEW SHE WOULD DO IT!!!!

congrats1.gif
DION!!!~

I'll let Dion tell her own story, but I do want to update and let everyone know that she DID get into the speech afterall, because there were tickets left unclaimed. I talked to her about a half hour ago from the airport and she says that she plans to upload her pictures and then go to bed when she gets home. She sent me two pictures this morning....boy, it's exciting! I can't wait to see the other pics!

Daily Bulletin: Bono speaks at Claremont Colleges

By Will Bigham, Staff Writer

CLAREMONT - U2 singer Bono left his bandmates behind Tuesday night for
a speaking engagement at the Claremont Colleges, where he highlighted
problems of poverty and disease in Africa and outlined his ideas for
helping the continent.

Thousands of Africans die every day from treatable diseases such as
AIDS and malaria, and though the developed world already provides aid
to the continent, Africa needs more, Bono said.

In hour-long remarks at Bridges Auditorium, Bono outlined a new
approach toward raising money for international aid that he and others
have made a focal point in recent years.

Bono, together with Bobby Shriver, last year launched a new product
line called Product (RED), which partners major brands such as Apple,
American Express and the Gap with aid organizations. A portion of all
proceeds from Product (RED) merchandise goes directly to aid groups
operating in Africa.

"The question for your generation, and mine, by the way, is not
whether we know what's going on, because we do. The question is
whether we're going to do something about it. Why aren't we doing more
about it?" said Bono, who spoke before a capacity audience at the
2,500-seat auditorium.

"If these pandemics, these epidemics, these fires were raging across
America or Europe, wouldn't we be doing more to put those fires out?"

Early in his remarks, Bono outlined the specific number of Africans
dying from treatable disease.

Every day in Africa, 3,000 children die from malaria, he said.

"Five and a half thousand Africans dying every day of AIDS - a
preventable treatable disease - for a lack of drugs you can get at any
drug store here," he said.

"(There are) 12 million AIDS orphans in Africa, 18 million by the end
of the decade.

"A whole generation of active adults wiped out, children bringing up
children. That's not a cause, that's an emergency."

In the last several years, Bono has devoted a great deal of attention
to problems of poverty in Third World nations.

Through his campaign he has met with President Bush and many foreign
dignitaries to lobby for increased foreign aid to Africa.

But the driving power to change government policies and increase
charitable efforts comes ultimately from public, for whom poverty in
Africa is seldom a top priority. To help draw public attention in the
developed word to Africa's problems, Bono believes that a $20 million
marketing campaign is needed, a campaign on the same scale that a
company such as Nike would use to launch a new product line.

That marketing idea let to the creation of Product (RED). Only through
partnerships with major brands can a group seeking to promote African
aid reach a significant number of people, Bono said.

The iPod associated with the organization was the fastest selling iPod
in history, Bono said. "That was the idea behind it, not just to raise
money to buy the life-saving drugs, but to get on billboards and to
get our message out in the malls," he said.

Bono often during his remarks included light anecdotes about his U2
bandmates and meetings with domestic and foreign leaders.

He also acknowledged the apparent ridiculousness of a "rock star," as
he called himself, promoting foreign aid to Africa.

"I've always felt that even if celebrity is ridiculous, quite a silly
thing, that it is currency," he said. "And so I wanted to spend mine
wisely."

Pictures from the event:

http://dailybulletin.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=363702

(sorry, can't save the pictures)

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

:lol:

Lucky you got in tonight - good for you! Did you happen to take any photos? Do you know if there were a lot of people hanging around before/after the speech? Was it about an hour? More details please! :)

All I had to take pictures was my cell phone so I didn't bother and there were a lot of people outside when I got there. I don't know how many stuck around afterwards because I had to leave right away to write a paper :(

Back
Top Bottom