Bono Arrives In Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I just came back to this thread again after watching all the clips, audios, links, etc......... I can't thank everybody enough for getting all this info to all of us, all of the time. The internet is amazing! Thanks you guys!!!!!! The pics, videos, all of it fantastic! I feel like i'm in a Bono candystore :wink: !!
thankyou again and again!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

africaba01.jpg

africaba00.jpg

this is from back in Lesotho. Wonder what he's talking about.

(i see bonosleeves ) :cute:

Last edited:
Dahlia said:
So many new and beautiful pics, thanks for posting them. Some of them almost made me cry... :sad:

It's so funny you should say that Dahlia, because I wrote the exact same thing just a little earlier. I could just feel the tears welling up as I was watching pic. after pic. There is so much kindness and happiness in those moments we are seeing.
Wish I could hug you! :hug:

thankyou said:

It's so funny you should say that Dahlia, because I wrote the exact same thing just a little earlier. I could just feel the tears welling up as I was watching pic. after pic. There is so much kindness and happiness in those moments we are seeing.
Wish I could hug you! :hug:

:yes: :hug:
These pics are one reason I love Bono so much

U2Girl1978 said:
I'm just curious about something ya'll can do. Can we leave the drooling and OMFG he's SO HaWT comments of Bono in the other threads instead of the serious threads???? I mean come on! There are plenty of pics in the other threads to drool over. He's in Africa. We don't need to drool over this.

Thanks.

/rant

Babydoll said:
he is visiting the poverty and aids stricken areas in the country -the villages and i live in a big city, which i do not think he is visiting.

He was in Arusha today (according to the Associated Press). How far away from Arusha is your city?

fe1ebe0c.jpg

U2's lead singer, Bono, left, talks with with CEO of A to Z textiles Mills, Anuj Shah, right and Richard Faechemin, Executive Director of The Global Fund, in Arusha, Tanzania on Saturday May, 20, 2006. Bono visited the factory which is the only manufacturer in Africa to make insectide treated nets to fight malaria.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060520/people_nm/africa_bono_malaria_dc_1

Last edited:
thanks for the photo and the link Kelly!

Demand for mosquito nets mainly by aid groups, UNICEF and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria exceeds global supply, prompting an expansion at A to Z that will increase capacity to 15 million a year from 6 million."

sounds promising.

Mosquito nets will certainly help stop the spread of malaria. I did a paper in school on malaria. It's a horrible disease and I hope it can be stamped out in the future.

Just some highlights from the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4995946.stm

Bono promotes work to aid Africa
By David Loyn
BBC developing world correspondent

Rock star Bono has a more personal stake in Lesotho than in any other African country. In the remote mountain town of Butha-Buthe his wife Ali Hewson is sourcing t-shirts for a new fair trade line being sold in the US.
The order has meant that the only major employer in the town, a textile factory, has been saved from closure.

Like many African textile-manufacturing countries Lesotho suffered last year when China was allowed to sell clothing into international markets for the first time without paying high tariffs.
_41661184_factory_203.jpg

Nakadi Jabbie, the owner of the factory in Butha-Buthe, says ordering the clothes has been much more help than giving aid.

Bono is moving onto five other African countries in an effort to keep up momentum in his campaign. The bigger policy reasons for this visit are to assess progress on promises made at the G8 summit last year.

The U2 frontman criticised Canada, and France for not sticking to their commitments, and said that despite new big offers of aid from the Bush White House, he feared that Congress would block the increases.

He said: "We could be in a catastrophic situation come the year anniversary of Live 8 unless something happens quick.

_41661160_bono_203.jpg

"We don't want to take our foot off the pedal. Politicians love to sign cheques, but they don't like to cash them. The cashing of cheques is very important to us."

Pessimism

Bono said that he is gloomy about prospects for trade - the T in the name of his aid agency DATA.

The Doha round of talks in the World Trade Organization, designed to help developing countries, has now gone on well beyond its deadline, and could collapse next month.

Bono said that talks to save the round are excluding African nations: "They are not even at the table."

At a press conference the Lesotho Minister of Trade Mpho Malie agreed.

He said that the prospects for a settlement that would help Africa "do not look good".

He criticised the negotiators for trying to persuade Africa to accept new rules allow access for non-agricultural goods before dealing with their biggest concerns in agriculture.

kellyahern said:

He was in Arusha today (according to the Associated Press). How far away from Arusha is your city?

mmmm, I LOVED Arusha. :up: It's quite far from Dar though, over 300 miles (speaking for Babydoll).

Just wondering about something, since it's John Abraham's birthday today:

Are their kids in Africa as well?

Or is there enough time to fly from Africa to Ireland (or maybe the south of France)?

verte76 said:
Mosquito nets will certainly help stop the spread of malaria. I did a paper in school on malaria. It's a horrible disease and I hope it can be stamped out in the future.

Through Samaritans Purse my kids and I sent money to buy mosquito nets. We send about $200. I hope it provided safety from those pesky mosquitos.

Its a great organization, we also do operation christmas child every year. There is also a gifting catalog with items as low as $2.00 to send to a place where there is need.

http://www.samaritanspurse.com/

BonoFox1 said:

Can he be more irrisistable???:love:...:heart: the mandals!!!;)

I don't think so, BonoFox1.

These are BEAUTIFUL pictures of Bono with the People of Africa.

Thanks for posting them.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

bonoarmsup.jpg

Reuters - Sat May 20, 1:50 PM ET U2 lead singer and anti-poverty campaigner Bono (R) speaks in front of Rose Moshi, a nurse at Ngarenaro health clinic for pregnant women in Arusha, Tanzania May 19, 2006 during his a six-nation tour of Africa. (Emmanuel Kwitema/Reuters

r1558867564.jpg

Irish U2 lead singer and anti-poverty campaigner Bono is welcomed by Maasai women as he visits their traditional Shambasha village near Arusha, Tanzania May 20, 2006 during a six-nation tour of Africa. REUTERS/Emmanuel Kwitema.

r1946715994.jpg

Irish U2 lead singer and anti-poverty campaigner Bono claps palm with Maasai children during his visit to the traditional Shambasha village near Arusha, Tanzania May 20, 2006 during a six-nation tour of Africa.

r4055469222.jpg

The U2 lead singer and anti-poverty campaigner Bono is being briefed on distribution of bed net vouchers to pregnant women at Ngarenaro health clinic for pregnant women in Arusha, Tanzania May 19, 2006 during a six-nation tour of Africa.

r4215510903.jpg

Irish Rock star Bono (2nd L) listens to a genocide survivor at the genocide memorial in Nyamata, Rwanda May 18, 2006. Bono on Wednesday pledged to maintain pressure on the United States and other wealthy nations to keep funds rolling for aid to Africa. REUTERS/

r644952379.jpg

Rock star Bono (L) talks to Malaria patients at the Kigali University hospital in Rwanda, May 18, 2006. REUTERS/Antony Njuguna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom