Bono Arrives In Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap guys! It says you have to be from the UK to watch. :(

Today is not my day: I can't watch the Bono video, I can't order the Independent issue, my laptop just died, and I have a psych exam in 2 hours...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Crap guys! It says you have to be from the UK to watch. :(

Today is not my day: I can't watch the Bono video, I can't order the Independent issue, my laptop just died, and I have a psych exam in 2 hours...

err... I'm not from the UK and I can watch it...

Good luck in your exam. Just think positively and include some Bono quotes! :hug:

I`ve finished a 24 hour shift at lunchtime so getting quietly :drunk:

Pamelakellett said:

Good luck in your exam. Just think positively and include some Bono quotes! :hug:

I`ve finished a 24 hour shift at lunchtime so getting quietly :drunk:

why can't you watch it??

btw, I just checked, my link (the .asx one) can be saved on the pc, with a right click, save target as :) I"m trying to download it in normal file format now ^^

wow, thank you for the links. I didn't know Bono was in Africa with Ali. The links eventually worked for me, though I got a number of errror messages first. Great interview, but I found it annoying that the interviewer simply cut Bono off at the end.

bono and ali are doing great work! :up: i wonder if they've brought their children with them, or if their kids have ever been to Africa to see the places and people that their parents have devoted a good part of their lives to... :hmm:

*Ally* said:
bono and ali are doing great work! :up: i wonder if they've brought their children with them, or if their kids have ever been to Africa to see the places and people that their parents have devoted a good part of their lives to... :hmm:
I read an interview that Bono gave some months ago when he was in Germany for the Media Award and he said that he has taken his oldest daughter to Afrika many times.

*Ally* said:

I believe they were all with him for the Mandela gig in South Africa. I remember him talking about it in an interview and he mentioned something about the family being along.

thanks for the info, everyone! it's fantastic that they're able to bring their children with them- i am sure that having those two as parents is quite inspiring... it will be interesting to see if any of the kids continue bono/ali's activism when they are adults. :)

Galeongirl said:
here is the interview in wmv format :)
http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=069679347FAC2FF0

Thank you!!! (I get so excited when something actually works for me the 1st try!) That was wonderful to see. I think he was ready to keep talking on and on and the the interviewer had to cut him off. Awww... :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060517/music_nm/africa_bono_aids_dc_2
Bono visits Lesotho AIDS clinic By Lesley Wroughton
10 minutes ago

BUTHA BUTHE, Lesotho (Reuters) - US frontman Bono, in Lesotho on an African tour, visited a rural AIDS clinic on Wednesday that he says shows how global resources can be used to provide HIV/AIDS sufferers with free testing and treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT

In this small town, which has a single factory making T-shirts sold at U2 concerts, the Paballong clinic and its two nurses treat 266 patients with free antiretrovirals funded by the Global Fund for AIDS.

Bono supports the Fund with profits from his Red Products branding initiative that has partnerships with the world's largest retailers to raise money for AIDS.

Inside the clinic Bono and his wife Ali Hewson, on the second day of the six-nation tour, squeeze into a small room with the clinic's only doctor, Phetise Sekhesa, and three

patients.

Daniel Fatle, his wife Matumelo and their eight-month-old son Tumelo are being treated with the antiretroviral therapy that significantly slows the progression of AIDS.

"It is a proud moment to see what is happening here," Bono tells the Fatle family through an interpreter. "We want it to happen in every country where there is an AIDS epidemic."

"AIDS used to be a death sentence and now it's not. It is a great moment for me and for everyone back home who took to the streets and marched on your behalf," he added.

Rock musicians like Bono and Bob Geldof have played at free concerts and rallies and leveraged their fame to persuade the world's powerbrokers to do more for Africa.

Just a few years ago drugs to combat the spread of AIDS were unavailable in most parts of Africa, but increased global funding and cheaper anti-retroviral drugs have increased access to treatment.

Lesotho, a mountainous country of two million people, has the fourth-highest rate of HIV in the world and nearly one in three adults is infected with the virus.

Mpho Ramatlapeng, country director for the Clinton HIV/AIDS Initiative, praised Bono's work on AIDS. "We are in awe of your work," she told him.

" We are just students trying to find out what works and what doesn't," Bono replied.

Bono, his wife and their entourage then walked to the nearby Clothin Zone, an old brewery transformed into a clothing factory but which was nearly forced to close after the expiry last year of textile quotas meant to protect developing countries like Lesotho.

Black T-shirts were piled high and workers, mainly women, were sitting behind machines in two rows. The T-shirts are part of Bono and Hewson's Edun Live brand sold at rock concerts around the world.

very cool :rockon:

those were Edun aswell right???

this typo made me lol:
"US frontman Bono"

thanks for posting the article :) I hope we'll get more news soon! (too bad MTV isn't doing a Diary like thing on this)

Thanks for posting pics and articles everyone! :up:

Hoping to hear a lot more about the Africa trip! :bow:

JCOSTER said:

You know too much, do you ever go to school? :giggle:

:whistle: school? what's that??
ofcourse I do :wink: the fact I know his kids' birthdays is jsut.... ack.. something I know!

fyi, John's is may 20.. Eve's is july 7, and Elijah is august 17 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom