Bono and the MDH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHonee

Mr. MacPhisto's Loo Cleaner
Today I watched "One Dollar Diary" a documentary about the making of MDH. The MDH forum went AWAY, so here's a thread for general MDH-ness.

I don't know who else has seen that documentary....but Bono's in it a lot.

He types with one hand
biggrin.gif
It's the cutest thing...EVER.

Does anyone know -- do they sell the soundtrack in places like Best Buy? I *must* get it.

------------------
~*Mona*~
"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~BONO~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

You give your life for rock n' roll

I'm sure they do have it at Best Buy, or they can order it.

That documentary sounds better than the Bono action in the movie, 5 seconds at best!

He does type cute, in the 60 min. II thing he called himself the 'fastest one finger' or something, and the one finger he uses is the -uh- 'middle' one!
wink.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Naughty Bono!
biggrin.gif

Em...I lost me thought.

O YEAH -- where IS Bono in the movie? Last time I watched I looked for him, but I didn't know where to look!

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Oh yeah, they definitely sell the soundtrack in Best Buy (I check everytime I'm there!)

And I have yet to see this movie
frown.gif

Soopid school takes up so much of my time
frown.gif

One finger typing!!! How cute! It must take him forever to type with one finger

I wonder what he does with the other ones
eek.gif

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

There is a scene probably more than halfway through where the main character is walking through the hotel lobby, and lots of people are sitting/standing around, and Bono is leaning up against the wall in black with purple glasses. He doesn't speak or look up
frown.gif

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by hippyactress:

One finger typing!!! How cute! It must take him forever to type with one finger

I wonder what he does with the other ones
eek.gif

O_O

*falls off a hotel*

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

It's funny you should mention it, me and Dana had a MDH day yesterday.

We met up and I took her to the hotel (we live in LA) since I live like blocks away I had visited it once before. For the first time I had the courage to climb up to the roof. It was so much fun, but I got tar all over my shoe ugh.

Anyway, the idea was we were going to watch either Ali or Beautiful Mind but the theater we went to was playing neither
frown.gif
So we went across the street cause I wanted to pick up a couple of CD's and I decided to get the soundtrack to M$H and especially the movie. So I did find both, miracles of miracles. It was only 6 and we had nothing to do so we declared M$H Day.

I went home and got my copy of the One Dollar Diary and off we went to her place listening to the soundtrack on the way. we watched the movie (which was very good btw) to which Dana literally gasped when she saw Bono, I thought she was gonna die and in turn laughed my ass off.

Then we watched the Diary which is really on of the funniest behind the scenes I have ever seen. The highlight has got to be Bono singing Anarchy in the U.K. in Spanish "arriba arriba" I nearly pee in my pants during that scene and I've watched it over 10 times. The best is the guy sitting behind Bono covering his ears and cringing the whole time. Too funny, we had fun, lots of fun.

On a side not we also saw the famous x-liquor store from the WTSHNN video which is only 2 blocks South from the hotel. It is now a Mexican restaurant.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Originally posted by WildHonee:
O_O

*falls off a hotel*

lmao

The Million Dollar Hotel?

*sings* And the Ground Beneath her feet....

I love that song...

------------------
And love is not the easy thing...the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind.

BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

So was the movie good? I read a review saying it was bad, and I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. The diary thing sounds cool. I haven't seen that either. Jen

[This message has been edited by JennyBean (edited 01-21-2002).]

Originally posted by hippyactress:
lmao

The Million Dollar Hotel?

*sings* And the Ground Beneath her feet....

I love that song...

My common sense is falling to me feet!!
biggrin.gif

I loveth that movie, man....

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

I loved the movie... but I could see why some people wouldn't. It's kinda artsy, but I love artsy... so it was GREAT!!!!!!

Okay! Where can I get this One Dollar Diary thing??? I need to see it!!!!

------------------
MuchMusic: Do you have a final message for the crowd? Something they can take home with them.
Larry: Something they can take home with them? I'm not taking my clothes off!

Originally posted by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen:
I loved the movie... but I could see why some people wouldn't. It's kinda artsy, but I love artsy... so it was GREAT!!!!!!

Okay! Where can I get this One Dollar Diary thing??? I need to see it!!!!

I saw it on the Independent Film Channel

P.S. I *loveth* artsy. I sat there THRILLED through the whole movie AND documentary
biggrin.gif
My brother thought me goonie.

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

I liked it, it's weird actually cause you do have to be a bit of music fan to enjoy it. The character Dixie for one, if you don't know the Beatles, well then you'd completely misunderstand him. And there were other little things, like Mel Gibson reciting Twist and Shout.

It's not a happy movie, it is a love movie, but kinda of like City of Angels, it is a lesson about being able appreciate love w/o the cheesy plot.

The only thing the film seriously lacks is the development of Mel's character. I think that's what the critics get hung up on. Cause Mel is an essential character, however, from the looks of things (behind the scenes, the diary, etc) a lot of his scenes got cut, and the ones that were kept were probably not the best choices as there wasn't enough insight.

So yeah in that sense the film is poor, but I don't think it's enough to condemn the whole movie like the critics did. And the only reason why the general public don't like it is usually because it's not a happy ending, it's not Hollywood glam, and it makes you think. It's real characters, it's the people you meet or avoid cause it's too sad. It's too real, though it looks absurd.

Personally it's the kinda of movie you just need to watch and judge for yourself. If you like something substancial instead of just pleasure you'll like it, if not then it might be more reality then you're willing to take in.

I found that it it helped a lot to have been to the place before I watched. It's easier to understand and accept it for the reality that it is. I didn't spend as much time doubting the characters but rather just enjoying the movie. So my opinion is just trust the movie and it will make for a much more enjoyable viewing.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

I agree about Mel's character. I didn't really...*get* him. Was he really from the future? I got confused sometimes with him.

*loveth* Tom Tom
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Originally posted by mbi16:
I liked it, it's weird actually cause you do have to be a bit of music fan to enjoy it. The character Dixie for one, if you don't know the Beatles, well then you'd completely misunderstand him. And there were other little things, like Mel Gibson reciting Twist and Shout.

Dixie was soooo cool!!!!Ahhhh... John Lennon.

------------------
MuchMusic: Do you have a final message for the crowd? Something they can take home with them.

Originally posted by mbi16:

And the only reason why the general public don't like it is usually because it's not a happy ending, it's not Hollywood glam, and it makes you think. It's real characters, it's the people you meet or avoid cause it's too sad. It's too real, though it looks absurd.

Thanks. I love movies that aren't just Hollywood happy endings. Ones that you have to really think about, maybe even watch a few times to fully "get". I have to check it out. Off topic, but did anybody see Memento? That's another movie that you have to think about and watch closely. Not a traditional movie at all, but well worth your time. Guy Pearce is fantastic! Jen

I have to contribute here... I went to the MDH when I was in LA in November, I took a bunch of photos but these are my favorites... my friend Jeff and I went and tried to get up to the top but they wouldn't let us. I did get a pack of Skittles in the vending machine downstairs, though. :)

The Rosslyn Hotel is in on the left, the MDH (or New Million Dollar Hotel, as it's called) is on the right
26733971303_0_ALB.jpg

The sign, backwards...
79613971303_0_ALB.jpg

Me in the MDH
36733971303_0_ALB.jpg

I can't see them.

------------------

I can't either, I would post mine from my previous excursion but I don't have a scanner nor are the pictures on me.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

This thread made me want to listen to the soundtrack and I just had to say... I love the song "Dancing Shoes"!!!! Bono's voice!!!!!! *puts it on repeat* *thud*

------------------

Hmm... okay, maybe this will work.

MDH (on right) http://fs9.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/229151/i41294997-8687-4F21-B526-04D5A83EF03D.jpg]http://fs9.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/229151/i41294997-8687-4F21-B526-04D5A83EF03D.jpg[/im g]

Me in the "lobby" [img]http://fs9.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/229151/i139540EA-3ADF-4F5C-95B6-0FC89F694BD9.jpg]http://fs9.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/229151/i139540EA-3ADF-4F5C-95B6-0FC89F694BD9.jpg[/im g]

If you still can't see them, they're on this site... [url="http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewAlbum.asp?AID=180266"]http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewAlbum.asp?AID=180266[/url]

[This message has been edited by ZooGrl (edited 01-21-2002).]

i41294997-8687-4F21-B526-04D5A83EF03D.jpg

i41294997-8687-4F21-B526-04D5A83EF03D.jpg

i139540EA-3ADF-4F5C-95B6-0FC89F694BD9.jpg

biggrin.gif

O those are ZooGirl's, BTW.
------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

O YEAH YEAH YEAH...

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 01-22-2002).]

Naughty Bono!
biggrin.gif

Em...I lost me thought.

O YEAH -- where IS Bono in the movie? Last time I watched I looked for him, but I didn't know where to look!

They are all chatting in a room and Bono is stood by a bar for about 5 secs. It's around the middle of the film. I want to see the interview thing
smile.gif

He types with one hand
biggrin.gif
It's the cutest thing...EVER.

O_O I want to seee! I need to see One Dollar Diary. I think the movie's really good. The first time I watched it, I was really bothered by Mel's character because I didn't understand him. After I watched it a few times, I got used to him... Definately not enough information on him in the movie.
I love the characters. Artsy rocks. Great soundtrack.
smile.gif
~~MDH love~~

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

....what's a Bono?

MONAAAAA!!!!! I am completely shocked! You don't have it?! I bought it at my best friends Best Buy and I LOOOOVVVVEEEEE it. Seriously, I haven't stopped listening to it for a few weeks now. Go buy it...NOW!!!!

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

OMG you must be psychic Mona cause I just found these CD yesterday and started listening to it for the first time in over a year...... it is amazing

Ground Beneath Her Feet (OMG beautiful, so is Stateless) And the instrumentals are good too.(especially the one of The First Time)

But the funniest has to be the Spanish version of "Anarchy in the USA", even if Bono isn't singing (but Larry & Adam are playing)
biggrin.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*
A honey child to a swarm of bees...

Take me to that other place...

!!! Eeeekk!! OK I will buy it as soon as I can.

BTW I just remembered. In the "One Dollar Diary" Bono sits there and jams on his harmonica for a good 3 minutes.

*SWEAT*

------------------
~*Mona*~

LOVE me, give me SOUL

O YEAH YEAH YEAH...

This is a great Cd... I wasnt too crazy about it at first but it's really grown on me quite a bit lately. I'm dont like the remake of "Satellite of Love" that the chick sings on it... but the rest is good. Gotta love Stateless
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom