Bono and the AIDS Pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisybean

Rock n' Roll Doggie, FOB
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eye
Sorry to post a new thread about Bono's African trip, but with threads combusting left and right...

Anyhoo, here is an article from this morning:

SOWETO, South Africa (AP) - Irish rock star Bono's voice cracked Friday as he tried to explain the emotions he felt talking to a group of mothers infected with the AIDS (news - web sites) virus.

"This is an amazing place, amazing people," he said at the prenatal HIV (news - web sites) clinic at Soweto's Chris Hani Baragwaneth hospital. "This is very, very hard for an Irish rock star to admit. I'm actually speechless."

Bono, the lead singer of the rock band U2, and U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill met with some of the patients, who are among the 4.7 million people infected with HIV in South Africa, as part of their 10-day tour of the continent.

Later, Bono gave an impromptu performance at a shanty town in Soweto. A group of students had begun doing a dance to the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" when their radio broke, and Bono continued the song accompanied by claps and a man playing a traditional drum.

Bono has said he was determined to show O'Neill that aid can be put to good use in Africa during their fact-facting tour. Both men hoped the tour will bring worldwide attention to the devastation HIV is bringing to Africa.

O'Neill said he was astounded to find out that so much of aid money coming into the country was being used for prevention instead of treatment.

"There is something wrong when the system does not take care of the here and now," he said.

O'Neill's recommendation that treatment come before prevention flies in the face of most AIDS programs around the world that make preventing more infections the top priority.

Bono appeared to use flattery to try to publicly pressure O'Neill to give more money for development in Africa and the battle against HIV.

"He is getting angrier by the day as he sees the great potential of this continent and how it is not being used," he said as O'Neill stood by his side.

Referring to AIDS he said, "The secretary will be able to send one message back to the president. This is an emergency what we have seen today."

O'Neill responded, "We the world have got to deal with this problem. ... This is doable."

O'Neill, who has long criticized the misuse of foreign aid by recipient countries, said he wanted re-evaluations of where U.S. foreign assistance was being spent, as well as an increase in that assistance.

Many of the HIV-positive women had never heard of Bono or O'Neill, but they said they were happy that such clearly important people were interested in their plight.

The clinic has been giving Nevirapine to pregnant mothers in a program to try to prevent transmission of HIV to the babies. They hope to be able to treat 8,000 women by the end of the year.

Bono and O'Neill, who arrived in South Africa from Ghana, will also travel to Ethiopia and Uganda.

It is so heartwrentching to hear that such a thing is happening, that a whole continent is imploding. I hope Oneill and Bono can help bring about some change.

------------------
Daisy

~*~We are one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other~*~

AIM:daisyone75

My heroes!
smile.gif

I'm still shocked at the amount of people in developed countries who don't think this is a problem...but I won't rant about that here. Thanks for the article Daisy!

Oh yeah, sidenote:

Last night I was flipping through the channels and happened to stop on MTV which was showing the UrbanAID program with P.Diddy (or whatever his name is now) and many other rap superstars raising money for urban AIDS research and treatment. ANYway, they were doing an interview with P.Diddy and he was asked why he was doing this (he set the whole thing up) and he responded with: "I saw what other people and other groups like U2 were doing and I wanted to help." That gave me such fuzzies and elevated P. Diddy greatly in my mind.

------------------
And in the whole half-century-long history of rock music there is a small number of bands, a number so small you could count to it without running out of fingers, who steal into your heart and become a part of how you see the world, how you tell and understand the truth, even when you're old and deaf and foolish. On your deathbed you'll hear them sing to you as you drift down the tunnel towards the light. -Salman Rushdie

I also found a related article

SOWETO, South Africa (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury chief Paul O'Neill and Irish rock singer Bono took their road show on Friday to the world's biggest hospital in South Africa, where they were told how aid for HIV /AIDS victims had been wasted.

The world's most powerful finance minister and the frontman of rock band U2 expressed shock and anger at tales of the mismanagement of foreign aid meant for pregnant mothers infected with HIV and their children.

At a private briefing at Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital -- a 2,888-bed hospital listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's biggest -- hospital staff and donor agency officials told them that although $50 million came in yearly for AIDS, most of the 2,000 HIV positive mothers at the unit, who would need just $2 million for treatment, remained untreated.

The drug Nevirapine, developed by private German company Boehringer Ingelheim, has been shown to cut by half the risk of an HIV-infected mother passing the virus to her baby.

South Africa is the epicenter of the HIV/AIDS pandemic hitting Africa with estimates of one in nine South Africans infected with HIV/AIDS -- around five million people -- and 70,000 to 100,000 babies born HIV-positive each year.

"I am speechless," said Bono, known for his interest in African development issues.

O'Neill, his voice quivering with anger, told reporters: "This whole business about having so much money...and it not going primarily to treatment is just a stunning revelation."

"Before we ask for more money, for God's sake what are we doing with what we've got?"

As the unusual pairing toured Soweto, students protesting poor conditions in schools rioted in the city center a few miles away, bringing traffic and commerce to a standstill.

O'Neill dressed in a dark tie, dark suit and white shirt, and Bono, hands in pocket, unshaven, with gold earrings and ever-present sunglasses, were welcomed by a female choir singing a local Zulu song "All who are outside, call them."

They left the hospital to visit a housing project in Protea, Soweto, where Bono was greeted by schoolchildren dancing to the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." When their tape recorder broke, Bono stepped in to finish the song.

FACTORY TOUR

Earlier Friday, O'Neill and Bono toured the Ford motor plant in Pretoria, the biggest auto assembly plant in sub-Saharan Africa with a workforce of 3,500 workers. It is considered to have an exemplary HIV/AIDS policy.

"I am saying to Bono, it's great when you have big industrial companies like this working on the (HIV/AIDS) problem," O'Neill told reporters during a tour of the plant.

Bono replied: "I love hearing the secretary like this."

President Thabo Mbeki has drawn international condemnation for his controversial stance on AIDS, questioning the link between HIV and AIDS. But he has recently eased his position.

Bono said "he (Mbeki) is turning. I think we've got to give him a bit of room. I think we've got to stop beating him up."

The pair met Mbeki and Finance Minister Trevor Manuel on Thursday. Bono said he expected to meet the South African leader again before leaving the country.

Friday, O'Neill defended himself against reports that that he was against foreign aid to poor nations.

"I am reading quotes that say 'O'Neill against foreign aid'. It's never, ever been true," he said.

Bono and O'Neill met about a year ago and agreed to a tour of Africa, originally set for late 2001 but delayed because of the September 11 attacks.

O'Neill, an ardent advocate of private enterprise, said he had already seen enough in the opening part of his four-country visit while in Ghana to show that easy and practical solutions to some basic needs were readily available.

O'Neill, Bono and Manuel also discussed issues of African development and NEPAD -- the New Partnership for Africa's Development initiative, which aims to drive Africa's recovery.

Bono and O'Neill are to visit Uganda and then Ethiopia after South Africa, where they were also due to spend the night in a game park. O'Neill returns to Washington on May 31.

Okay, now I have completely depressed myself, after reading this article

frown.gif

------------------
Daisy

Okay here are some pictures that go with the articles.....

Get out your tissues.

I LOVE THIS MAN!!!!!

lthumb.1022256383.south_africa_o_neill_bono_sow102.jpg

capt.1022256109.south_africa_o_neill_bono_sow101.jpg

OMG that has got to be the most heartwarming picture I've seen. Feeding that little baby *sigh* *sob*

------------------
Daisy

Originally posted by *Ally*:
1022257938.3087122511.jpg

I love Bono more and more everyday..... *sniff* This may be one of the cuttest pictures ever to grace the earth..... *sniff*

------------------
MISTY MORNING, CLOUDS IN THE SKY
WITHOUT WARNING, THE WIZARD WALKS BY
CASTING HIS SHADOW, WEAVING HIS SPELL
FUNNY CLOTHES, TINKLING BELL

capt.1022256109.south_africa_o_neill_bono_sow101.jpg

I'm seriously trying very hard not to break down and cry after reading the article and seeing just this picture alone. This picture has to be one of the most sweetest and precious things I've ever seen!
And ppl that aren't U2 fans often wonder why we love them so much....They should just pay attention to all that Bono is doing!! Come on.. how can any person w/a heart Not be touched by things like this. *goes to get Lots of tissues*

------------------
Fear Not..For I'll Be Watching You. And I know what you're all thinking. FOR SHAME!!

I just showed this to my coworkers and we're all teary eyed.

As much as I love what Bono is doing, it is heart wrenching to hear these news reports. I just makes me want to cry.

My friend here at work was telling me that in South Africa there is also a cultural belief that these so called "Faith Healers" in S. Africa feel they can heal HIV infected people, which is one reason why they don't afford more money for treatment.

Where the @*(#%&#(@* is the remaining 48million going??

Sorry I'm pissed off right now...

That is so precious! I just put those on the African travels thread but I came here to post them because they belong here (and that thread is getting so big no one will open it and it might combust like the Safari Bono thread) and here they are! Thanks, we needed a thread devoted to this subject. Good articles too. That's why he's there and he'd want us to care like this! What a sweetheart he is! He's got to be the most loving/loveable guy in the world!
I saw a scene on the CNN report where Paul O'Neill held a cute baby too. Bono said O'Neill was getting more annoyed every day by what he saw, and O'Neill said, not annoyed but angry at all the wasted potential. It's great there's him and Bono to help.

oh feck! You're making me get all weepy at work.

*sigh*

I am calling my Peace Corps recruiter and asking her to put Africa on my list of places I want to serve.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

I am calling my Peace Corps recruiter and asking her to put Africa on my list of places I want to serve.

wow, sula! the world needs more people to be as dedicated and selfless as you....
smile.gif

1022260208.2416017473.jpg

Irish rock singer Bono sings his band U2's song "I still Havent Found What I'm Looking For" after he was greeted by dancing schoolchildren during a visit to a housing project in Protea near Soweto May 24, 2002. U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and Bono are on a three day official visit to South Africa. REUTERS/Juda Ngwenya

One of my clients insures the Mormon church in Utah and my contact there is close to retirement. He is leaving the company to go be a missionary for 3 years on an island just off the coast of West Africa. It is not developed at all, and supposedly a bit dangerous, He CANNOT leave for 3 years. Missionary work is really to be commended and I think he will have an extraordinary experience. We're still worried about him , tho...

1022258809.2348810313.jpg

Irish rock singer Bono (2-L) claps beside U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill (2-R) and HIV-positive mothers and babies--Nompumelelo (L) with 11-month-old Thomas Gqubile and Jabulile Tshabalala (R) with 9-months-old Musa, during their visit to South Africa's HIV-clinic at the Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital, May 24, 2002. O'Neill and Bono were outraged on Friday by the lack of treatment for pregnant HIV-positive mothers at the epicenter of the AIDS pandemic in South Africa.

I have been seriously considered doing the same as Sula.

I am at a point where I am job hunting myself, and after reading and sharing all of this, I feel so useless, worthless and helpless. It is so easy to get caught up in our own little lives that we forget to see the big picture. That yes, I can't afford all the things I want, but I certainly have so much more than I'll ever need. I gripe about how I "had a rotten day," or that I'm sick and what not. I forgot that even though I had a lousy day at work, I have a job, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. I forgot that having a little cold is nothing compared to what people all over the world are going through. I can go to the doctor and get medicine, and be better, these people can't.

[/catharsis]

*edited for typo*
------------------
Daisy

[This message has been edited by daisybean (edited 05-24-2002).]

More pics and stories! Thanks *Ally*! What's that he's eating there? It is great we have Bono and O'Neill to get the word out about this and try to do something. It's a sad thing. I'm sure it would mean a lot to Bono just to know he had our support, and whatever we can do no matter how small must help. Bono was called to do this, and he can work through lots of people, even us. He's doing something very important and there's no question he'll be remembered for more than his music.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-24-2002).]

Originally posted by daisybean:
They left the hospital to visit a housing project in Protea, Soweto, where Bono was greeted by schoolchildren dancing to the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." When their tape recorder broke, Bono stepped in to finish the song.

Very touching. Bono is to be commended for his dedication to changing the AIDS situation and for reaching out to people who need someone to care about them.

Great stories and pics, everyone! Viva, Bono!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by daisybean:
I have been seriously considered doing the same as Sula.

I am at a point where I am job hunting myself, and after reading and sharing all of this, I feel so useless, worthless and helpless. It is so easy to get caught up in our own little lives that we forget to see the big picture. That yes, I can't afford all the things I want, but I certainly have so much more than I'll ever need. I gripe about how I "had a rotten day," or that I'm sick and what not. I forgot that even though I had a lousy day at work, I have a job, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. I forgot that having a little cold is nothing compared to what people all over the world are going through. I can go to the doctor and get medicine, and be better, these people can't.

[/catharsis]

*edited for typo*

I know daisy, I feel the same way...

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

awwwwwwwwww!
1022262136.2483044418.jpg

there's a video over at CNN.com of bono and o'neill at the children's orphanage, but i think you have to be a paying member or something...
frown.gif

Daisy and Sula,

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an experience you'll never forget or regret! Gogogo! LMK if I can be of any assistance.

Oktober, you're exactly right. Sexual and other health education is terrible there. I actually knew of women there (sorry to be graphic, I'll be as delicate as possible) inserted different leaves/herbs into themselves to make intercourse more pleasurable for their men. It also remains a totally taboo subject in many villages.
frown.gif

Yeah for U2 fans who get angry with Bono!
smile.gif

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

SD, ANY advice you can give is appreciated.
smile.gif
I am halfway through the application process, I have had my interview and am just waiting on my references to return their paperwork. Then I'll be told whether or not I'm a nominee. I had put down Eastern Europe and Central Asia as my places of choice, but I am definitely adding Africa to it. It sounds scarier and more challenging, but I just cannot sit back and do nothing. If I can be useful in Africa (and I might be for the Corps because I already have a grasp of French) then I want to go there.

go to the following link to see bono's interview from FoxNews (which aired yesterday)- it includes a great bono response to a STUPID question!

it goes something like this:

idiotic interviewer: "you're different from other rock stars; don't you think the rest of the rock stars in the world are callous and shallow individuals?"

bono: *makes sounds of disgust* "uh, NO."

it's great. bono really put the interviewer in his place.
biggrin.gif

here's the link: http://www.foxnews.com/video/player.htm?cavuto_bono_052302&Your_World_with_Neil_Cavuto&ram-300

Originally posted by *Ally*:
capt.1022272698.south_africa_o_neill_bono_sow108.jpg

*Sigh* What a guy.

All those of you who want to join the Peace Corps, your intentions are so noble and I admire you even if you can't for whatever reason actually follow through. What an unselfish, ungreedy, worthy thing to do with a year of your life. There are so many things that would be more fun, but to make a difference for someone besides yourself is truly admirable.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
What an unselfish, ungreedy, worthy thing to do with a year of your life.

Two years actually.
wink.gif
And three months training on location as well. But when you add it up, it doesn't seem all that long I guess. I mean, what's 2 years? I can look back two years ago in my life and it seems such a short time ago. In any case, if I am sent over there, I will be relying on my interference family for moral support and maybe a snail mail or two.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom