Bono and Bill Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miroslava

ONE love, blood, life
Hope this is in the right place...

If you go to the Clinton Library Page, and you search for Bono, quite a few documents pop up. I have not skimmed all of them, but looks like lots of cute stuff

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org/search.php

for example, just from the first 3 documents:

thank all of you again for your inspired work. I also want to thank one more person who couldn't be here today, Bono. (Laughter and applause.) Bono has done -- I can't help noting, there have been a lot of ancillary benefits to Bono's passionate devotion to this. (Laughter.) I'll never forget one day Secretary Summers coming in to me saying, you know, some guy just came in to see me in jeans and a tee-shirt and he just had one name, but he sure was smart. Do you know anything about him? (Laughter.)

So Bono has advanced the cultural awareness -- (laughter) -- of the American political establishment, embracing everyone from Larry Summers to Jesse Helms. It's been a great gift to America's appreciation of modern music. (Laughter.)

One of U2's biggest hits is, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Well, with this bill and these funds and this diverse coalition, Bono and the rest of us, we've found what we're looking for, and we need to build on it. And let's give Bono a big hand today. He'll be watching, I'm sure. (Applause.) Thank you.

The song goes on to say that, we have found the spirit to climb the highest mountains, to break the bonds and loose the chains. It shows that when we get the Pope and the pop stars all singing on the same sheet of music, our voices do carry to the heavens. The question now for us is, where do we go from here? We have to implement this program well; and if we do implement it well and it works, then there will be broad support around the world to extend it to other nations.

But the Irish have meant a great deal to me. James Gallway, the great Irish flutist, probably the greatest living flutist in the world, has played at the White House; and Bono, the lead singer of U2, has been a great friend on mine -- now better known as the leading advocate for debt relief in poor countries in the entire world. He has that great sense of humor.

When I left Brian, and I went to Dublin, we had a big rally in the square there. There were over 100,000 people. And after -- Bono was there, and he had brought me a signed copy of W.B. Yeats' plays, and had William Butler Yeats in his little-bitty handwriting. And underneath, there was Bono's handwriting. It said, Bill, this guy wrote some good lines, too. (Laughter.)

But if you think about what we could do with just a little more, I think it is really worth pondering. We're having the same debate in Congress now, and I don't want to get into any kind of political dispute about that, but just let me give you an example. I very much want the United States to take the lead with the rest of the wealthy countries in alleviating the debt of the poorest countries in the world. And the Pope has asked us to do it for the millennium -- (applause.) Now, this is a campaign with a broad base: it's being spearheaded by the Pope and Bono, the lead singer for U2. (Laughter.) And even though I am not a candidate for anything anymore, I can spot a big tent when I see it. (Laughter.)

:wink:

These are great, Miroslava! Thanks for posting them. I always love reading what other people have to say about Bono. It brings a smile to my face. :)

Another good one

You know, Irish music has made almost as much of a contribution to modern life as Irish politicians. From the Chieftains to Phil Coulter to Van Morrison to that wonderful group, U-2 that played such a major role in trying to get the young people in America to go and vote. The first time I heard that their lead singer was named Bono, I asked what his last name was. Then I found out he didn't have a last name. Then, after I spent an hour with him, I discovered he didn't need one. (Laughter.)

:wink:

I am sure we have all see this, but just in case. WMV video of the "Rain" performance. This is good though, camera stays on them instead unlike the live broadcast... He is so damn pleased with himself after he sings the "we got 4 presidents out of bed" bit... SO CUTE! You couldnt really see the smirk before...

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org/wmp/ded-performance-u2.wmv

God, he looked particulary GOOOOD that day :drool:

Love the purple shirt and his continued inability to button the top 2-3 buttons :wink:

Last edited:
Two wonderful men

Keocmb said:
:drool: I love Bill Clinton :drool:
I do too! :drool: I had the chance to see him when he was president-elect he visited the Glendale Galleria and he came over to me and shook my hand. Which I thought was extremely cool of him since at that time I was sporting long dark purple hair and very goth. :| Back then most people thought I was a freak :laugh: Now I just hide it better :D

Thanks for posting that Miroslava. There was something very distracting going on the day of the dedication so I missed it. I finally got to see a little bit of it!

I love this pic of Bono and Bill......Bono just seems so flamboyant and the rest of the people's faces are hysterical :laugh:

vub84

These pics are fantastic girls :applaud: :combust:
I haven't been posting for a while as i've been flat out exhausted from working, but have managed to get to computer for an hour before i go in to work on nightshift and it's like i sit and read through EVERYTHING 'cos you girls just continue to entertain me so much esp. with all the Bono stuff! I love this thread, god Bono&Bill Clinton togethar....mmmmm double delight!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom