Bono and American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't it be amazing if he just came on the set without them announcing it first and just started singing?? :ohmy: Imagine the pandemonium! :drool:

thankyou said:
The performing of Bono, if it indeed happens, could still just be via video. They did that at a music award show about a year ago where they honored Johnny Cash. Joaquin Phoenix introduced them (was it the country music awards? can't remember) The band was on tour at the time.

For some reason I don't see Bono really being at the show, but more of an appearance by video/satellite. Whether it will be a song or maybe a just a message about Africa and the One campaign, I think it could be either.

I'll take whatever. Either way sounds wonderful to me.

thats what I said earlier.. I think he won't be there live on stage but taped as you mentioned.. My feeling is it will be some kind of message/mini speech not a musical performance regarding africa.

why are people so anti bono being on AI? I don't see what the problem is. His message is getting across! Isn't that why people joined the one campaign? To make a difference?

tlski said:
why are people so anti bono being on AI? I don't see what the problem is. His message is getting across! Isn't that why people joined the one campaign? To make a difference?

because it's *shudders* 'bad for his image'

:rolleyes:

Galeongirl said:

because it's *shudders* 'bad for his image'

:rolleyes:

I sort of see your point. Personally him appearing on the actual show (and or singing too) I feel would be a little too much. I hope he doesn't perform at all. Too much Bono everywhere sometimes ends up having more of a backlash effect than anything.
I think him communicating with the show live via satellite would be a much better option. If he's only interested in communicating about the need in Africa, he doesn't need to be on a "singing competition show". Only his message needs to reach people.

but could still be "live via satellite" too?

cute anecdote given by Liz Smith from the New York Post:

AN AFRICAN 'IDOL' BONO
One of the most active philanthropists. March 4, 2007 -- 'SCANDAL IS not like bread. There is never any shortage," goes the old African saying.

Speaking of Africa, here's a scoop! "American Idol" will soon go to the continent to become its usual sensation there. This news dropped from the lips of the one and only Bono.

Asked if he watches America's hottest TV show, Bono laughed, "No, but I will now!"

THE rock king of U2, one of the world's most active philanthropists, fighting AIDS, poverty and injustice all over the world, was the guest last week at a fabulous symposium put together by Time Warner.

Last edited:
I don't care if Bono shows up on AI or Barney or Maury or Dr. Phil. I just want to see him on my teevee perform "live."

I should check my e-mail more often..
friend sent me this...

This is from Hollywood Reporter......says he will perform?!?

By Kimberly Nordyke
March 9, 2007
Fox and its hit series "American Idol" have teamed with the Charity Projects Entertainment Fund on a star-studded two-night special designed to raise awareness and funds for poverty-relief organizations that help children and young people in the U.S. and Africa.

Among the celebrities set to perform during the special, dubbed "Idol Gives Back," are Gwen Stefani, Pink, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox and Il Divo. U2's Bono also is expected to perform, and Sacha Baron Cohen will appear in character as Borat.

During the April 24 episodes, airing from 8-9 p.m., the top six finalists will sing songs about compassion and hope; for every vote cast via phone or text message, "Idol" sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T and others will donate money to charity. The expanded results show, airing from 8-10 p.m. April 25, will feature the celebrities taking the stage. During that episode, viewers will be able to make their own donations via toll-free lines and the Internet. The Ford Motor Co. also will contribute to the cause in connection with its weekly music video, details of which will be announced soon.

"When we were approached by Richard Curtis (the writer-director who co-founded the U.K.'s Red Nose Day charity), Simon Fuller (creator and executive producer of 'Idol'), Simon Cowell ('Idol' judge) and CPEF about this project, we felt it was a natural fit," News Corp. president and COO Peter Chernin said.

Fuller said that he hopes the event is a big success, "allowing us to continue to make these important, world-changing shows for many years to come."

The money raised by the event will equally benefit the U.S. and Africa, aiding such organizations as the U.S. Fund for UNICEF, the Global Fund, Save the Children, Nothing but Nets and Malaria No More. "Idol Gives Back" also is providing a link on its Web site (www.americanidol.com/idolgivesback) to One: The Campaign to Make Poverty History.

Said Bono, co-founder of the One campaign, "I wouldn't underestimate the reach of ('Idol') or the impact its audience can have."

To answer everyone's question about B's image and AI. AI is the epitomy of everything that is evil and wrong with the music buisness.

zooperson said:
To answer everyone's question about B's image and AI. AI is the epitomy of everything that is evil and wrong with the music buisness.
Adding to Zooperson's thought....must be if they kept Senjiya around for another week! :banghead: :shame:

Back
Top Bottom