Bono and American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kimby said:
Eh...

Knock it off dietcokeofevil.

:rolleyes:

Don't be rude to other members.

On topic, American Idol reaches such a huge audience that it would be a great platform to garner attention for this cause. :)

Also...

Bono & Simon Cowell :love: :drool:

Was just telling Kaf if Simon dares to criticize him, we'll make a Pleban army brandishing rolling pins and storm the set! :madwife: :madwife:

:p

Maybe he'll be a guest judge, and they will all have to sing U2 songs. I can just see him sitting there between Randy and Paula. Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone do a U2 song on the show. Maybe its some copyright thing and the band doesn't allow it.

On some other topic a few days ago, I read that someone asked him about American Idol and he said he'd never seen it but would have to now. Something like that. Hey if Oprah got him to carry her shopping bags around for the Red publicity, surely he could tolerate Simon Cowell for a couple hours for all the money that would be generated for African poverty. I must say I found it rather cheezy that Ryan & Simon actually went to Africa, because somehow I doubt if they REALLY care (but I could be wrong). Anything for ratings.

Galeongirl said:
and this proves once again that Bono does give a lot for his causes...

sure, appearing/being linked to American Idol isn't exactly well for his image.... but it helps raising awareness, and THAT is what Bono cares for!

:hmm: I dont see how AI is not well for Bono's image?? It is a show that is "very" watched and has grown a lot in the past years ... The production is fantastic.. Plus Bono has made appearences at the most unlikely/oddest places why not AI...
I agree that it will definately boost awareness for his causes..I work in a building of over 500 people and the majority watch AI
so that is a pretty large number for just one place..
Plus cause of me and a few others in our office a lot of people are aware of Product (RED) ;)

hehehe and to just think that i was writing a fan fic of larry trying out for AI a month ago :lmao:

love2bmama said:
I'm hoping against hope that he won't be there. Bono is leagues above American Idol, if he goes on that show I will be really disappointed.

I agree, as much as I would love to see him,I think he is too good for the show and would cheapen himself for being there. That's just me though

from TsarinaLisa in the Zoo...

This is from Hollywood Reporter......says he will perform?!?

By Kimberly Nordyke
March 9, 2007
Fox and its hit series "American Idol" have teamed with the Charity Projects Entertainment Fund on a star-studded two-night special designed to raise awareness and funds for poverty-relief organizations that help children and young people in the U.S. and Africa.

Among the celebrities set to perform during the special, dubbed "Idol Gives Back," are Gwen Stefani, Pink, Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox and Il Divo. U2's Bono also is expected to perform, and Sacha Baron Cohen will appear in character as Borat.

During the April 24 episodes, airing from 8-9 p.m., the top six finalists will sing songs about compassion and hope; for every vote cast via phone or text message, "Idol" sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T and others will donate money to charity. The expanded results show, airing from 8-10 p.m. April 25, will feature the celebrities taking the stage. During that episode, viewers will be able to make their own donations via toll-free lines and the Internet. The Ford Motor Co. also will contribute to the cause in connection with its weekly music video, details of which will be announced soon.

"When we were approached by Richard Curtis (the writer-director who co-founded the U.K.'s Red Nose Day charity), Simon Fuller (creator and executive producer of 'Idol'), Simon Cowell ('Idol' judge) and CPEF about this project, we felt it was a natural fit," News Corp. president and COO Peter Chernin said.

Fuller said that he hopes the event is a big success, "allowing us to continue to make these important, world-changing shows for many years to come."

The money raised by the event will equally benefit the U.S. and Africa, aiding such organizations as the U.S. Fund for UNICEF, the Global Fund, Save the Children, Nothing but Nets and Malaria No More. "Idol Gives Back" also is providing a link on its Web site (www.americanidol.com/idolgivesback) to One: The Campaign to Make Poverty History.

Said Bono, co-founder of the One campaign, "I wouldn't underestimate the reach of ('Idol') or the impact its audience can have."

FROM THE AI WEBSITE:

* This April, "Idol Gives Back" will raise awareness of the effects of poverty on children and young people in the US and Africa.
* Tuesday April 24, your vote will count more than ever. Each time you call, sponsors will make a donation to Charity Projects Entertainment Fund to help children and young people in America and Africa.
* Wednesday April 25, a very special results show will feature a star-studded extravaganza of celebrities and artists.

(FOLKS Ryan Seacrest mentioned on the air tonight that BONO as one of the artist!!! )

FOX, AMERICAN IDOL and the Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF is a charitable U.S. organization) have partnered on an historic television event – IDOL GIVES BACK – a two-night special to help raise awareness and funds for children and young people in need in America and Africa.

The money raised by the two shows will equally benefit the U.S. and Africa. In the U.S., the money will be distributed to Save the Children and other U.S. organizations working to deliver programs to children living in some of the most disadvantaged areas of America.

In Africa, the money will be focused on delivering health and education programs and will be distributed via CPEF to a number of organizations including: U.S. Fund for UNICEF, The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Save the Children, NothingButNets.net and Malaria No More.

CPEF is a charitable U.S. organization established to raise money and awareness to help combat extreme poverty in the US and throughout the world, particularly in Africa.

CPEF’s mission is to use the power of entertainment to drive positive change to achieve its vision of creating a just world free from poverty. CPEF is inspired and supported by the UK charity that invented Red Nose Day.

What can you do to suppport Idol Gives Back:

* Watch the shows on April 24th and 25th.
* Vote for your favorites.
* Make a donation here.
* Read more at www.cpefund.com.
* Tell your friends about Idol Gives Back.
* Get all the kids you know to go to Scholastic.com/idolgivesback
* If you want to learn more about how you can help to make poverty history go to www.one.org.

I would make sure you watch Enews tomorrow with Ryan Seacrest, I would imagine he is going to talk about it more. This is so excited and I can not wait to participate. This will be when it is down to the final six contestants on the show.

risse said:

He can come to your house for dinner, and mine for a night cap! :ohmy: :)
:lol: i never do finish my fan fics..because i can write worth hell lol..but why write about it when bono is comming over for dinner tonight with me..:drool:

^^^Sounds like ME Tanner sis.:| :|
i never finish myu fics..they are quite good since I have a great imagination but my thoughts runs fasxter than my typing and everything sounds better in my head:huh:

I think i need a beta to look over my fics....:hmm:

Thank you U2Jesus girl for the AI info ;)

Babydoll said:
Was just telling Kaf if Simon dares to criticize him, we'll make a Pleban army brandishing rolling pins and storm the set! :madwife: :madwife:

:p

Don't worry.

I read somewheres (damned if I remember, tho) that one singer Simon likes is Bono, because he sings a straight melody without getting too fancy.

I couldn't agree more.

The performing of Bono, if it indeed happens, could still just be via video. They did that at a music award show about a year ago where they honored Johnny Cash. Joaquin Phoenix introduced them (was it the country music awards? can't remember) The band was on tour at the time.

For some reason I don't see Bono really being at the show, but more of an appearance by video/satellite. Whether it will be a song or maybe a just a message about Africa and the One campaign, I think it could be either.

I'll take whatever. Either way sounds wonderful to me.

Last edited:
Geez I can't believe some people on here think Bono is so "above" American Idol. Big deal if he goes on AI, I really don't think its going to ruin his career.

Back
Top Bottom