Blueeyes:You didn't see yer post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Riddler

Acrobat
I didnt get your question until toolate I figured youwere joking but this was the reply I did in the Edge spends blah blah thread.........
Blueeyes only just saw your post and thought I should answer it before I sleep.
Thing is re resistance whose resistance are you talking about?
And by police authority are you talking about Northern Ireland?Cos there isn't a big deal on resistance in Eire.
And by Modern Irish Drama do you mean delivered via film, plays, TV, literature or poetry?
You may find it useful to look at the work of the playwright Brian Friel he attended the same catholic college as John Hume and was moulded by the political tensions of Derry at the time. His plays are concerned with man in society,in conflict with community,government, church,family and essentially in conflict with himself.While some of his plays tend to be set in the past, it is a mythical rather than a realistic past and he uses that past to illuminate the present.He tends to explore the condidition of Ireland and the themes that re-emerge are those of emigration,loneliness, the breakdown of authority and the indidvidual dislocated from family or society.
Might be worth looking at the work of Frank McGuiness his play "Behold the sons of Ulster marching towrds the somme" explains the motives that led loyalist volunteers to go fight for England and "Carthaginians" deals with the Bloody Sunday massacre in Derry.
Modern stuff tends to graduate more towards film Neil Jordan, Jim Sheridan are among the biggies but I can't say that any of their work deals directly with a challenge to police authority.
So basically that was of absolutely no use whatsoever.
Oh well, time for bed.

cause Im in Belfast...........I tinking this 'riddler' lives near here or sumethin...........do u?

Lyric theatre rocks!

ok so this reply has no meaning, but I miss old sexy John Hume.......NOT!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

CAM ON OVER HUME YA BIG SEXY BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!

omg, when Bono and his gang were here for the 'Say Yes Campaign' Hume was on UTV saying, i'd like to thank Bono, and said it as 'oh no', I always say 'Bon o' as in Bon Bons.........
biggrin.gif
sorry but the way Hume said it had me in kinks, as all i could tink of was doggie biscuits!!!!!!!!!!

WOOF WOOF!!!!!

biggrin.gif

naaaaaaa gimme Paisley anyday, imagine that big truck of a man lying in bed beside ya!!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

NOT!!!!!! NOT!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

wink.gif

Mad1 I'm more familiar with the Abbey (that fine Mr.Yeats founded) and the Gate theatres and their rivalry sometimes so intense that they get called the Sodom and Begorrah! ha ha..........Lyric's yer Belfast equivalent I guess.
Better to have new ventures like The Psssion Machine in North Dublin and The Project in Temple bar excellent ground for new writers who even dare to talk about shock horror oral sex!!

(Hume's not blessed with a pleasant face is he now do we have to see his gob)

yer not related to Rougeroum are ye?

hmmmmmmmmmmm.......well I could make a good actress, next time Im down South, Im gonna bounce into, erm....
aaach for faaaaaaCK sake what cha call that fecking big fukin building!!!
along the liffey

I dunno

Hey, Im stayin away from Riddler, he scare the crap outta me, he makes no fuking sense!!!!!!!

wink.gif

but if he wants to play, then, I have my quarter down..........with a spat hand bet.

Prove it johnny!

riddler is a scary dude
hairy dude, scary dude
riddler is a scary dude
lets all hide!!!!!!!

lets all hide
lets all hide

for hes a nutty new fella
and so say Pleba gals!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Whats wrong don't you find my tight lime green lycra top the fecking bee's knees whats wrong with you!

ha ha

hairy scary dude fears he has more to be scared about than you!

Originally posted by The Riddler:
Whats wrong don't you find my tight lime green lycra top the fecking bee's knees whats wrong with you!
B]

Well actually, I think it is a stunning ensemble, worthy of any noteable fashion plate...But that's just me.
Thank you Riddler for your timely and thorough reply! Unforetunately, I have already completed and submitted my paper. I ended up using two plays by Lady Gregory, "Spreading the News" and "The Rising of the Moon" to illustrate how language is used by the police in these plays to assert their authority and how the public uses language in turn to resist police authority.
I regret that I was not clear in my original question, to be honest, I didn't really expect such a thoughtfull answer...Oh me of little faith.
I have only started to study Irish Literature and I will make sure to look at the works of the authors you mentioned. Thanks so much for your feedback!
And as promised....
15.jpg

enjoy.
-Blueeyes

Back
Top Bottom