blind or deaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you rather be blind or deaf?

• Blind

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Deaf

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dead

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Kristie said:
Me? Blind. Which would suck, but a world without music is not worth living in my opinion.

In mine too. Which is why I voted for blind. But I'd really freaking miss looking at all the beautiful things in the world. *cue cheesy music* :sad:

Deaf.

It would be terrible not to hear any noise for the rest of my life, but not seeing anything is much worse. Let's see colours that have never been seen....

I would rather be deaf. As much as I love music, I would HATE the feeling of helplessness and fear that would come with trying to live a normal life blind. :(

I've acutally in my constant states of boredom devoted a good amount of time considering this topic. Choosing between blind or deaf means choosing between the two things I love most - gymnastics and music. After carefully pondering, I decided that it's more that I would NOT rather be deaf than I would rather be blind, if that makes sense. So I choose blind for now. But maybe if I were older and had kids, think about never being able to see your kids again....

I chose dead... because I don't think I could live without either of those. Imagine not being able to listen to a song again... not being able to look into the eyes of the man you love. Wow, this post has got me thinking, we take those gifts from God for granted... :sad: *some cheesy music here too please*

Well, but it's not like I'd kill myself if something happened to me someday and I lost my sight or my hearing, I guess I'd learn to live with it, but I really can't choose.

It depends.... would this be like *going* deaf or blind... or like you never had those senses in the first place? Cause I would give up being able to see if I had it to begin with... blindness can be a blessing...

As Bono says "Sometimes you need to be blind..."

that's a good point, hippy...but i still chose deaf. i mean, it'd really really suck not being able to hear music that i love so much...and i REALLY love listening to music...but i just couldn't stand not being able to see things...it's tough to think about though...:(

like if you had to pick which sense to lose right now is what I'm saying

as in, I'd rather be able to hear U2's music but not be able to look at Adam instead of the other way around. The music is the soul of the operation to me, it's more important in my fandom than their hotness.

I've asked myself this question many times....

I was a reader before I got into music. I just wouldn't be able to function if I weren't able to curl up with a good book and read to my heart's content.

However, being deaf would really suck because I'm a huge music person and can play by ear and am learning how to play drums. But wait, wasn't Beethoven deaf or something? So, I guess if I were deaf I could still try and play and stuff. :D

Plus, I'd rather look at pictures of Larry rather than hear about pictures of Larry. Then again, using my fingertips to er, "see" Larry's body... :silent:

can't believe I just said that.

No wait. I think I can.

Moonie :angel:

I chose blind. I rely on my hearing too much. I could never live without being able to hear voices again.

I'd shrivel up and die without music, but I'd have to go with being deaf anyway....I'm WAY too visual to have my vision go away....I think it would just be easier to live without hearing than without sight. And on the plus side, being deaf *would* be really quiet.... :yes::der:

this is a hard question...i am partially deaf and i rely on vision to read lips. i couldnt tell you which i would prefer. i love music too much. listening to u2 everyday is a daily healing, hearing my baby say mommy i love you is the best gift in the world each morning. seeing my baby grow up before my eyes is something i dont ever want to stop seeing. seeing u2 in concert is just awesome...i can go on and on, but i think you guys get the picture. i am blessed with the little hearing i have, and i am blessed that i can see.

meegannie said:
I would rather be deaf. As much as I love music, I would HATE the feeling of helplessness and fear that would come with trying to live a normal life blind. :(

That's exactly what I was going to say!

Hippy- what you said about Bono- I have always wondered how HE would answer this question. What do you girls think HE would say? Of course he'd hate to be deaf but I think he's way too visual and being blind would torture him to death more than losing the music.

Thoughts on how Bono would vote?

i really can't choose. Never being able to hear music again is just incomprehensible to me, music is a huge part of my life. On the other hand being blind has a much larger affect on your day to day life. It's a larger handicapp than deafness. I don't think that I would be able to handle losing my independence. So i guess I'm leaning towards choosing deafness, but I really can't decide. I wouldn't choose death because I have to strong of a will to live.

So, dude, I wonder why nobody has chosen "both" yet.

;)

I chose deaf, after much deliberation. I love music SO MUCH, but I've always thought ... if you're deaf, you can talk to people by writing or signing or reading lips. If you're blind, there's no "substitute" way to see anything at all. Well, I suppose you could argue touch. But maybe the fact that my reasoning went the way it did is evidence that I'm just a visual person to the nth degree.

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

Plus, I'd rather look at pictures of Larry rather than hear about pictures of Larry. Then again, using my fingertips to er, "see" Larry's body... :silent:

can't believe I just said that.

No wait. I think I can.

Moonie :angel:

:lmao:

Well, if I had Larry to touch, I guess being blind wouldn't be so unbearable... :tongue:

Kristie said:
like if you had to pick which sense to lose right now is what I'm saying

as in, I'd rather be able to hear U2's music but not be able to look at Adam instead of the other way around. The music is the soul of the operation to me, it's more important in my fandom than their hotness.

But seeing isn't just Adam pics! Did you ever think that if you were blind, you would totally lose your freedom and independence, having to be lead around by someone, not being able to walk or run alone, or drive a car? Deaf people can do everything but hear. I don't think that's as bad as living in perpetual darkness. That is frightening!

One more thing too, you wouldn't be able to use the computer! No more inernet! There are blind computers that talk to you but they really don't make up for what you lose. I used to have a blind lady living down the street from me with one and she was always calling me to say ,is this paper printing straight, is my letter aligned right, and asking questions about how things looked, it was so sad. So it just doesn't take the place of really seeing!

Last edited:
GypsyHeartgirl said:

Hippy- what you said about Bono- I have always wondered how HE would answer this question. What do you girls think HE would say? Of course he'd hate to be deaf but I think he's way too visual and being blind would torture him to death more than losing the music.

Thoughts on how Bono would vote?

Oh poor Bono! This is something I would ask him if I got a chance to on a question and answer show or something. I'm sure he's thought about it. He seems to have a fixation with blindness, he uses it as a metaphor in many of his songs. But I don't think he'd really be 'happy to go blind' It would sure put an end to his running around the stage and ramps in concerts and his crowd interaction too. He wouldn't be able to read the signs or see the fans. He wouldn't be able to autograph anything either. But being deaf his music career would be over so that would be worse for his career but I think being blind would be worse for his life. Bono talked in a magazine interview I read about 'the joy of just seeing things.' He also said his favorite things to do were 'seeing the sights, looking at the museums, checking out the architecture' and of course the scenery, admiring the view, the stars, the sky. I think Bono really loves to see.

Last edited:
Bonofire said:

But seeing isn't just Adam pics! Did you ever think that if you were blind, you would totally lose your freedom and independence, having to be lead around by someone, not being able to walk or run alone, or drive a car? Deaf people can do everything but hear. I don't think that's as bad as living in perpetual darkness. That is frightening!

I was just using Adam as an example. Yes, it is scary, but I see blind people aaaall the time walking around alone on campus and living independantly. Being blind does not mean being totally helpless, they live alone and do not need people to do everything for them. Look at Stevie Wonder, he's quite possibly the greatest living musician, blindness didn't stop him.
I've thought about this a lot, I'm willing to give up sight more than I am hearing.

:huh: Holy crap

I have NO clue.

I can't imagine not seeing

no interference blue
no smiling faces of my neices
no Jude Law...

o_O DOOD I can barely get along WITH sight

ME: *falls*

but not hearing....
no Bono
no jamming DMB outside at 3 am..

feck.