Blackbook Scans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
err..not really. To be honest, this is the first time I even noticed that "dirty" slang word. I don't know..between this comment and axver's comment that he doesn't think any u2 songs are "sexy.." Poetry without sex is a bit bloodless in my mind...

I suppose axver's aversion to "sexy" art might be partially attributed to how crassly sex has been used to sell. Still, rock n roll's DNA has hips and a touch of violence....as long as it is used wisely and within a healthy context...I have no problem with rock n roll being a bit sexy.

Rachel D. said:
Does anyone else find Bono's poem a little dirty? :ohmy: I think the fact that he used a crude/slang word like "tits" kinda killed the poem for me and made it seem suddenly shallow and not beautiful anymore.

Please read the poem again, slowly. The use of the word "tits" was deliberate, but definitely not shallow or dirty. He was referring to how, as a model, she was objectified, but how, as a human being, she was always greater than that. She was never just the perfect image, the plastic surgeon's work of art....
"...like a surgeon's knife that can't stop till everyone looks the same:
What a nose, what lips, what hips, what tits", this echoing the vulgar, everyday objectification of a model's anatomy.
He counters this by saying:
"This season? That was never your reason." (The season being, in at least one sense, the fashion "season")
"The camera was always in your hand wasn't it?
Wise
Directing happily your own demise...."

She has ceased to be the object and has instead become the observer and especially the creator of art, as a photographer instead of a passive model.

It's wonderful, a really good piece of poetry. Please give it another chance.

(Edited to add: I don't think it's a good idea to talk about other Interferencers in the way you have about our friend from Australia/New Zealand. It may be seen as being a bit rude.)

Last edited:
There's actually another picture of Bono in this issue that hasn't been scanned yet. It's on page 32 of the book. It's a small photo of Bono with no shirt on, and he's behind what looks like a steamed shower door. Yum.

blackbook1.jpg

Not in the States, definitely (though I’ve considered it). But I still think 3 weeks is too much. I'm waiting for today's mail (I've been spending a lot of money on a cause named U2).

Nooo don't come to the States unless you're coming to see U2...I wanna move outta here BAD.
My boy-friend (ex, but I don’t know what to call him anymore) is moving there, and I’m not. Have you considered this island on the Atlantic Ocean? I have. (I’m so close! And so far…)

I think they wouldn’t dare cancelling it after all this time. Thanks I appreciate it. I think, next time, I’ll talk to you first.

Back
Top Bottom