Birds Eye View 2 : Down To Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
I know. I said it was a one off. But apparently my brain decided otherwise. I don't know if this'll go on very long but who knows :shrug:

This isn't a romantic story. All the lads are with their respective soulmates etc.

It's just a bit of fun I guess.

Disclaimer: Don't know the band but I sure do love their music.

--
I've the day off today.

Yesterday, as I'd been heading to the bus stop, I'd passed by the studio. It was something I did often and usually didn't amount to much. Usually I didn't even glance at the doors. But since the other day when he shouted hello to me perched on my platform, well I'd taken notice to the door. I slowed down my pace and read a few of the writings on the concrete wall across the road from the gray doors. Oddly enough, there were no 'others' around and I'd been so busy that day that I hadn't noticed if anyone had arrived. Anyway, for the slightest of seconds I was sure I heard that gray door open. I was sure of it. But when I had turned, it was shut again. I shook it off. Figured it was all in my head and decided to return to my regular pace. I did give a second glance, very quickly and saw.. nothing. Yea. It was definitely in my head. After the day I'd had, I was looking forward to going back to my flat, kicking back, having a Guinness and enjoying the wonderful sound of silence.

Which brings us to now. My day off. My boss actually suggested I take a day off. He figured I needed it. I was surprised and slightly frightened but then he had laughed and said he wasn't going to sack me. He's a good lad, the foreman, a rarity in the field. So I'd agreed and booked the day off.

I figured I'd go into town, and just walk, find a good book and read it in St.Stephens Green. Or wherever my feet took me. I really wasn't concerned about that. I was simply going to go without direction, see where I wound up. A day off, and it was sunny and warm. Yes, I'm going to enjoy this as much as possible since sunshine and Dublin don't really get along very well. I've an umbrella with me, just in case the sky decides to have a piss. Which it usually does. This is Dublin.

I went into Easons and picked out a magazine. A nice thick one. It came with a 'free' cd. Whatever that means. I paid ten euro for the magazine with the so called 'free' cd. I imagine if there hadn't of been a cd there it likely would've cost quite a bit less. The tracks look half decent, so I figure, why not. I don't think I can fight the urge to splurge on my day off. Not that I'm going to go completely mad, but still, I can't resist heading upstairs to Tower Records to see if they've anything up there. Why is it I always forget what bands I want cd's from when I get in a record store? Treat yourself, I hear my head say. Treat myself. Hmm. Well, I can't remember what I wanted so I leave after having a browse and meander my way slowly towards the Quay. Why am I headed towards work? It's purely unconscious for the most part. I'm hungry for one and the Spar at Hanover has the best sandwiches. The best. I swear. Even if they are cold. They are still so very good. I'm a person of habit. I'm craving a good sandwich and my stomach, not my legs are leading me towards Hanover Quay once more.

I decide to go all out and get an enormous sandwich with the most expensive fruit drink that I can find. Plus it came it a rather neat bottle, that I'll likely keep. Because I'm a dork. I head past the studio once more and up by the water where there are several nice benches. I rarely get a chance to truly sit here and enjoy it. So today, on my day off, I will. I pick a bench that has a nice view of the Quay. There's a swan out there. Big one. Would probably bite the arse right off ya. Pretty though. I can only hope he doesn't like chicken and swiss cheese sandwiches because I wouldn't stand a chance against a quacking winged Quaymonster. Besides, I could always get another.

The familiar sounds of the city filters through my ears. Plenty of jackhammers and car horns but also birds and wind. No 'others' today either. Well, there weren't any when I'd passed by, though the side of the road was packed with parked cars. As it always is. The sandwich tastes so good. I get caught up in staring at the ebbing of the water as it laps against the side of the dock. It's kind of hypnotic. I'm oblivious to anything else that happens to be going on. I just keep staring at the little waves and thinking. Thinking about.. well.. nothing. 'Zoned out' I think would be the term. I don't even notice when there's movement nearby and the fact that movement is getting closer. Then there's something in my line of vision. I can't see the waves anymore. Someone. Someone is standing in front of me. Now I see black jeans and platform shoes. Who the hell wears platform shoes in this day and...

Oh.

Of course.

He says hello and I respond with my own hello. He asks if it's okay if he sits on the bench. I suppose I could be cranky and motion towards the other five empty benches, but I'm not cranky, not in the least, so I nod. The bench squeaks as he sits down, this makes him smirk a bit.

"Needs a bit of oil"

"Hmm?" I say, trying hard to not talk with my mouth full.

"This bench" He bounces a little, causing it to squeak again.

I smile.

He stares at me.

A bit unnerving really, at first. He's just a man, though. A Dub. He's trying to place my face. That's what I gather anyway. It's a searching stare.

"You look familiar."

I play coy.

"Do I?"

He isn't wearing shades today, which I find strange but at the same time, very welcoming. He's brilliant eyes really. I know he's allergies and such, and the dust around here would make the most tear resistent eye duct weep but still.. it's nice to actually be able to see his eyes.

He snaps his fingers

"The platform."

Amazing.

"You work up there" He gestures toward the building behind us.

Once again I smile.

"It's nice to see more female construction workers. They are good to you aren't they?"

I take another bite of my sandwich and before I realize I've even done it, offer the other half to him.

"Oh... if you don't mind" He stutters and then takes it from my hand.

"Not a problem. Yes, they are very good to me. Look out for me and everything."

He licks his lips and swallows.

"That's good. Because if they weren't. You know, we'd have to sort them out." He voice is ripe with humour, but there is that look in his eyes that says that he truly does mean what he says.

For awhile, with my view of the water once again in front of me, I find myself drifting back into space. Those hypnotic waves, they are singing to me once again. I savour this moment, for I know at some point or another this will end. And I'll be fine with that. It'll be back to waves from the platform.. if even that. And once this project is done, I'll be onwards elsewhere and that as they say, will be that.

"Is this from that Spar?" He questions.

I nod.

"I'm going to have to start sending Sam out for these. Damn. They really are quite good." He pauses for a second and wipes the crumbs from his jeans. "You know, we could use a fresh set of ears to sit in and listen to what we've been having a go at. But I suppose you have to go back to work."

I shake my head and take a large and rather noisy gulp of mango tango peach smoothie from the pretty bottle.

"Day off"

His eyes smile.

"Really?"

"Yep. See. I went for a shopping spree. Well, I tried to. I went for a window shopping spree, I guess that's more accurate." I pause. Don't babble. I tell myself. Don't babble.

He flips through the magazine. A metal music magazine. I quite like the metal. It's energetic and freeing. He nods and then places it back in the bag.

"So" He stands up. "How about it?"

I look at him quizzically.

"How about what?"

There's a soft chuckle that escapes from his lips and is then lost to the gentle breeze that blows from the west. His face, though shadowed by his green military cap, shows eyebrows clearly raised in amusement.

"Listening."

I blush.

"Come on, we'll show you a good time, I promise. and if you get bored"

Yea right.

"You can leave"

Sure.

I'm going to listen to U2 practice and play. I don't think being 'bored' would ever factor into that combination.

I feel as though I've been taken out of time. I can see myself getting up, grabbing my Easons bag and walking next to someone who I keep insisting to myself is just another Dub.

Just.another.Dub.

"The lads will be glad to see you."

What?

Really enjoying this story, very evocative of Dublin and HQ and it's how I could see Bono behaving in that situation. It's also the kind of scenario that could possibly happen too!(we wish <g>)!

RB- it is sooooo goood. just flowing along like the water. I love your descriptions and thoughts. the day off where you want to 'splurge' on something, and so many more things you describe. It is so innocent. I can SO imagine B acting this way.
It will be tough to keep it innocent, but keep it that way (i mean, just throwing in my opinion, here)

MORE, pretty please-soon?!!!!!
:hug:

I really like this. It makes me smile :)

Keep it up... it is a really nice change to read something that is not romantic but that still keeps you enthralled.

Well done!

Carrie

I agree, I agree, it's good!! carry on please!

p.s. Carrie, maybe the romaniticism will be coming later?? This story sounds very realistic to me :)

Carrie Anderson said:
Wouldn't we all!!!! :evil:

But it's Raven's story and we shouldn't tempt her.... he he.

:sexywink:

Carrie

You are totally right, the truth is, when I replied to you I had forgotten about what she said at the beginning and went on my own tangent. :huh:

sue4u2 said:
This is a GREAT! story. I like your tangents. :up:
also very timely. :wink:

Now that you mention it, it IS very timely.... and maybe will serve as a good omen for anyone going down there... esp alone without a big crowd. :)

Carrie

Were you inspired by that picture of the Alaskan fan? It's a cute story. And don't feel like you have to give in to the pressure to make it romantic. I like the 'casual' stuff too.

zuropa_fit said:
Were you inspired by that picture of the Alaskan fan? It's a cute story. And don't feel like you have to give in to the pressure to make it romantic. I like the 'casual' stuff too.

Absolutely, Raven! I second that. Don't take this anywhere you don't want it to go. I love the gentle stuff, and you are so good at that. Don't compromise yourself.

Unless you want to :sexywink:

But seriously, keep it true to you. It's a lovely story. :)

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom