Beth? Cat lovers? I need your help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flaming june

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The other day at work one of the girls found a tiny kitten outside the building. When no one else offered, me and my sister decided to bring him home. We can't keep him (or her? I have no idea!), but we'll take care of him until we can find him a new home.

Thing is, I've tried to give him milk with one of those pet bottles, but he's not drinking a lot. So I was wondering if there's anything else we could feed him. I have no idea how old he is. He already walks, a bit wobbly though, and he has really tiny, barely there, teeth.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Aww, he's the cutest thing! Wish I had a digital camera so I could show you pictures! :cute:

Did you try heating the milk up a little? When my cat was a kitten (the one in my sig) he wouldn't take milk unless if it was heated up.

Some cats don't like those bottles, so you may also try dipping a corner of a clean wash cloth in milk and let him try that.

Maybe try water?
It's been a long time since our cats were kittens, but I think I remember the Vet saying that water was actually better for them.
Then again, I was like 9 at the time, so maybe it was just my know-it-all cousin. :wink:

Also, sometimes if you turn the tap on really low they'll drink out of that and it's ?ber cute. :cute:

i worked at a vet clinic for over a year and we once in a while we would find stray kittens in the back alley, we would use a syringe.... we would give them water and to feed them we would mix can food with warm water and put it in a syringe too and slowly feed them.
and afterthe kitten has ate or drank make sure to get a wmoist towel and rub down there to simulate the mother's tounge because when she licks them they go to the bathroom.

When I syringe fed a tiny squirrel, I mixed the forumla with Pedialyte and a tad bit of melted whipped cream (he liked the suger flavor and would eat more). Make sure s/he's getting kitten formula instead of milk for humans. Also what elevation2u said, it's important they go to the bathroom after feeding. My squirrel was so tiny, I rubbed him with a warm, moist Q-tip.

Last edited:
FJ - you might try enlarging the hole on the nipple of the pet bottle, they often are too small and they get aggravated if they have to suck really hard to get any milk out (hope you have a milk replacer specific for kittens, they usually have them in pet stores). You might try getting some kitten food and moistening it with the milk or with water and make it into a gruel and see if it will eat off of a plate - hard to tell from your description if it's old enough for that, possibly if it has a few teeth in. It also might drink the milk out of a shallow bowl.

And yes, just in case it's not old enough, stimulate it after you feed it, by rubbing a warm wet cotton ball over it's back end.

bonosloveslave said:
FJ - you might try enlarging the hole on the nipple of the pet bottle, they often are too small and they get aggravated if they have to suck really hard to get any milk out (hope you have a milk replacer specific for kittens, they usually have them in pet stores). You might try getting some kitten food and moistening it with the milk or with water and make it into a gruel and see if it will eat off of a plate - hard to tell from your description if it's old enough for that, possibly if it has a few teeth in. It also might drink the milk out of a shallow bowl.

And yes, just in case it's not old enough, stimulate it after you feed it, by rubbing a warm wet cotton ball over it's back end.

We tried enlarging the hole on the nipple today and it worked. He ate more than ever since we brought him home. No, we're feeding regular milk. I'm going to try to go by the pet store tomorrow to get the right one. He did also eat some moistened kitten food.

He pooped all by himself yesterday, but he didn't today, so I'm going to try your suggestion before I go to bed.

He's satisfied and sleeping peacefully as I write. :)

Thanks for the tips girls!

How'd I guess about the bottle? :angel:

Little kitten poop is often pretty soft anyway, but don't be surprised if it seems more like diarrhea for the next day or two - kittens are lactose-intolerant to cow's milk.

Enjoy your little baby! :cute:

this is so funny reading about little baby kittens. i had one i found when it hadnt even opened its eyes. he was so cute...well actually he kinda looked like a hairless rat but still.... and i had to do everything for that little shite. i got up twice every night when he wanted to be fed and even carried him around with me to work in a box with towels and a small heating pad. it was so tough to keep up the love but it really paid off. i used the syringe method of feeding and a baby kitty formula. he liked that but i had to actually wrap him in a towel with his arms pinned down before he would eat. i dont know if thats normal or not. the worst thing was if i didnt do that he would claw his face off!! he was such a little weirdo.
and the pooping thing, BIG surprise from the vet with that bit-o-info!
i was the first thing he saw so i was like his mommy and everything, and he had an identity crisis thinking he was a human. sat like a human, and walked on his hind legs a lot! and of course talked up a storm. his name was scooter cuz he scooted across the floor when i was teaching him to walk.

he disappeared a while back. i miss the little guy, but it was so cool being able to raise him like that. ive had few other experiences that made me feel so loved!

ooo regular milk bad. Did you get special kitten milk yet?

I wish you could post a pic :cute: Thank you for taking care of this little baby :hug:

Oh I forgot, I dont know how old the kitten is but make sure you keep him WARM at all times. Little babies can catch cold very easily and even die. You could put a warm water bottle in some blankets for him. Keep us posted!

Question: How do I get Becks to let me trim his back nails? I've tried touching his feet and he scratches or bites. Will I just have to have Phil hold him down?

have someone help you scruff him...and the put pressure on his toes so the claws come out.
you should be able to see the quick if he has clear nails then just make sure you don't cut the quick...
if the nails are dark then i suggest clipping it in very small amounts to make sure you don't cut the quick.... i suggest to have some Quikstop ready if this is the case. it's a yellow powder thats tops bleeding quisckly, they should sell this at a petstore.

OK, I'll see if someone wants to hold him down. I'm not too worried about the actual clipping since I've had guinea pigs for years and years and clip them every few weeks. But they're small and can't bite as easily!

It's so hard for me to trim my guys back feet. I dont even bother anymore lol... I just trim the front.

When I do get in the mood to trim the back I have to have Jim hold Saki or, usually when he's sleeping he doesnt mind me doing it. They are really ticklish on their back feet. Zoey's are impossible to trim.

OK, we cannot get his back claws trimmed! Phil holds him down, but he jerks away so fast and sratches me like mad with whichever foot I'm not trimming. Is it even possible? He's never let me touch his back feet or stomach area without biting. He only likes his back, head, and front half pet. I don't know how to do it b/c now he's pissed and is hissing and biting me when I try to catch him.

Is he due for a visit to the vet anytime soon? The technicians there will do it for you, for a relatively small fee. Let the "experts" deal with it.
One thing you could try, which worked for me with an extremely stubborn (and strong) cat I had years ago, is to wrap the cat tightly in a thick towel, just really swaddle him, with just one foot at a time sticking out. That way, you can control his movements, and prevent the biting and scratching, without hurting him. It's worth a try!

Last edited:
He was already at the vet last month. We tried the towel, but he was still jerking all over and scratching me with the other foot. :(

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
He was already at the vet last month. We tried the towel, but he was still jerking all over and scratching me with the other foot. :(

Did you really swaddle him very deliberately, and hold him firmly but gently to keep him from going nuts?
Maybe you're afraid to hold him firmly, for fear of hurting him. Trust me, cats are very tough, and you will not hurt him by holding him in a calm but deliberate way and keeping his limbs from flailing about and trying to scratch you. He needs to know that you are much bigger and stronger than he is, but you can do this without hurting him. Calm and slow and firm is the way to go, not harsh and fast and grabby.
If this still doesn't work, then it's either the vet, or living with sharp nails.
Good luck!!
(He's very cute, by the way.)

erised said:
Aw, FJ's got a lil' kitten!!! :cute:

Jenny, that is such a cool avatar!!! :hyper:

Yup, still looking for a good home. :)

Yes Sicy, we got the cat formula. And we don't havo to worry to much about him catching a cold. It's nice and warm down here. If anything, I worry he might be too warm!

Wish I could post pics too, he's so darn cute!!! :cute:

Thanks for the tips everyone! You've all been really helpful. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom