Beach Sequence: Chapter 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
Hello! Thought it was about time I unleashed my writing talent on you poor unsuspecting people. :D I'll maybe write proper notes later cause if I do them now it'll spoil the storyline! Sooo I'll just say, obviously I don't know u2, this is all complete fiction and indeed, total nonsense. But fun to write!
Hope ya like it, if you do please leave a comment, cause that'd make me happy. :) First person to comment gets a namecheck in the next chapter, hooray!

Chapter 1

Ever since he was a child, Edge had loved the beach. There was something otherworldly about the contrasting landscape, with its sandy shore and its rough, luring waters, and not far off lay some treacherously beautiful cliffs. The sheer ruggedness coupled with the air of serenity that being by the seashore inevitably brought made it irresistible, and at his lowest points Edge always managed to find some kind of soothing kindness in sitting by the tide and watching the waves lap at his feet.

The others had taken to gentle mocking whenever Edge announced he was off for a break to the beach. Bono claimed, laughing, that Edge didn’t want to be in a band at all, that he actually wanted to be a dolphin. Well, Edge mused, maybe that wouldn’t be the worst idea. Unless dolphins got their hearts broken and divorces to boot, he doubted he’d mind being one.

One particularly stormy-looking afternoon, Edge ignored the protests of his bandmates, who said they were going to a late lunch and that he really had to come, because Larry was paying (though this was the first Larry had apparently heard of it, judging by his reaction) and anyway, it was going to pour with rain. Edge shrugged and replied that he didn’t really care.

“I won’t be long,” he muttered, as Bono persisted in his attempts to stop him. “I need some fresh air.”

“Are you saying our air isn’t fresh?” Bono replied indignantly. “Because I’ll assure you it most certainly is. Well,” he paused and looked around, “maybe not Adam’s.”

“I heard that,” Adam said coolly from the corner, where he was sitting flicking through a magazine, waiting patiently to be taken to lunch from what Edge could tell.

“Your air is lovely,” Edge interrupted before Bono could respond to Adam. “It’s just I’d like some time by myself. If that’s okay. I’ll come to lunch next time. I might even pay.”

And before anyone else could stop him, Edge waved, turned and walked out of the door.

Due to the overcast, windy weather that day, the sea was much more turbulent than in recent days. White horses cantered across the wave tips and gulls squawked overhead, adding to the rush of noise that hit Edge’s ears as he descended the stone steps and alighted on the sand. This kind of noise, though, he didn’t mind. It was tranquil in its own way, and even birds were preferable to the other three banging on at him all the time.

That’s not fair, Edge scolded himself. They were just worried because he’d been so down lately, and wanted to cheer him up, make sure he didn’t fall into some deep depression. Certainly, he’d been close to it at times, but they’d helped pull him back. He was grateful to them and glad to have loyal friends. It was hard to explain to them why he needed to be alone so often without making it seem as if he didn’t want their company. At least Bono had stopped taking it so personally and Larry was perfectly easygoing now. Adam had never bothered much beyond smiling and wishing Edge a nice afternoon.

Those thoughts descended into nothing-in-particulars as Edge kept walking slowly, traversing the tricky terrain and navigating his way past a jellyfish which had been washed up. He stopped to pick up a few odd shells because, whatever was argued to the contrary, Bono liked when he brought them back as a gift. A razor shell Edge found particularly interesting and pocketed it to keep for himself.

Just as the clouds really began to roll in and Edge was beginning to think about going home, his eye was caught by movement down by the rocks. That area was dangerous, and it worried Edge that someone might be playing around where they could easily fall in. He walked on, turning the collar of his long coat up against the buffeting wind, until he got close enough to the topmost rock to see that there was indeed someone sitting. On even closer inspection Edge determined the person was a woman with long reddish hair, and her legs were apparently dangling over the side of the rock. Well, that isn’t sensible, Edge decided.

“Excuse me!” he yelled, trying to make his voice carry over the wind, which was starting to howl. “Excuse me!”

If the woman heard, she didn’t acknowledge him. She carried on perching on the rock, her back to Edge, staring out at the sea. She didn’t look strong enough to withstand the gales whipping around her hair, and Edge shouted to her twice more, to no avail.

“It’s not safe there!” he tried, cupping his hands around his mouth in an attempt to amplify the sound. “You’ll fall!”

It was no use. The woman didn’t move. Edge sighed, the wisp of it lost immediately in the surrounding wind. He really couldn’t do much more other than climb up onto the rock behind her, but that would probably frighten her and she might lose her balance. He resigned himself to the fact she’d have to just be careful and made to turn around, to head back home before the heavens opened, when she turned around and looked him right in the eyes.

The effect was close to being punched, very hard, somewhere in the region of the solar plexus. Edge actually stumbled, though that might have been due to the wind. What certainly wasn’t due to wind was the way his stomach was doing a funny sort of dance and his heart was thumping so loud he easily heard it above all the other distracting sounds.

The woman’s eyes were of the most vivid blue and her gaze pierced deep down to Edge’s soul. He could simply feel the power of her stare as though it had always been there as a part of him. The feeling of elation it generated was better than being on stage, better than hearing Bono sing, better than playing the guitar, better than sex. Better than anything. And Edge knew in that instant he had to be with her.

Just then, Edge’s hat was blown right off by a particularly forceful gust, and he was snapped from the trance involuntarily. Startled, he grabbed his hat before it could go far and pulled it back on, glancing back to the rocks, desperate to see the woman again.

But she was gone.

To Be Continued!

Hello! Well I was kind of not bothered when people thought it took place but I suppose in my mind around the time after Edge split with Aislinn.

What's your name? You will get the namecheck! It'll be tiny but hey, it's faaaaame right?

Back
Top Bottom