Be an extra in Bono's new movie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pop Artist said:
If I had several thousand lying around with nothing to do, I'd be in. Alas, I don't... :sad:

i know, same here... :sigh: but, hey, at least all that money is going to a non-profit organization. :up:

Oh shit, they really are going ahead with that thing? I'll take out a home equity loan if I can talk them into not making it!:barf:

It's a very good cause, but for that kind of money, I would want to be something to Bono other than "extra.":sexywink:

I'm not going to bid on it, but I will be in the city next week. :hmm:

*adds another location to her "Possible Bono Encounters" list*

:giggle:

Share the stage as an extra with Bono as he performs I am the Walrus, and be a star for a night

:| Okay, is he simply making a cameo appearance (with this one performance) or is he actually playing a major character?

..... Bono, I hope you know what you're doing! :uhoh:

sami0201 said:
anyone know where this is? :shifty:

"Shooting takes place in Manhattan, on Sunday, November 20, 2005. Winner will be notified of exact shoot time, location and contact, as well as all other pertinent information."

Look like I'll be taking a trip to New York this Sunday!

Never know who you might run into in Manhattan, eh?:wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

"Shooting takes place in Manhattan, on Sunday, November 20, 2005. Winner will be notified of exact shoot time, location and contact, as well as all other pertinent information."

I saw that :wink: Manhattan is a pretty big place! :lol:

this is from gawker.com but I think it was a few weeks ago :shifty:

Was in Otto for lunch today and saw Mario Batali—yes, I know, not a big deal to sight a business proprietor in his own business. But 5 minutes later, slowly and ever so creepily (and hairlessly), Michael Stipe kind of weirdly tiptoed through the dining room, probably to meet his luvah Mario. I thought more sightings were imminent because they’re shooting a movie on 5th ave, but alas, Stipe is as good as it gets today. The production assistant said it was called “Waking the Universe” or something, When we left the restaurant,but when we asked if anybody cool was in it, she simply replied, “Yeah, a couple cool people,” instead of telling us who, exactly. Bitch.

Wait, is this guy saying that Michael Stipe and Mario Bataglia are LOVERS, or is Michael with another guy named Mario?

FEELINNUMB said:
Wait, is this guy saying that Michael Stipe and Mario Bataglia are LOVERS, or is Michael with another guy named Mario?

I have no idea and I don't keep up with anything Stipe related :shrug:

I was just posting because it mentioned the movie :)

If you were lost on the Lower East Side lately and thought you wandered into Haight Ashbury, you're not tripping on acid. Rivington Street between Attorney and Suffolk streets has been transformed into a psychedelic time warp with neon-colored fire escapes, head shops and funky façades of mind-blowing murals.

It's all for the movie set of "Across the Universe," directed by
Julie Taymor ("Titus," "Frida"). The film is a Beatles-based romantic musical about a boy from Liverpool who falls in love with a girl from Greenwich Village in the 1960s.

The cast includes
Evan Rachel Wood and U2's Bono, who will sing a rendition of "I am the Walrus."

The set is so intricate and eye-catching that many locals want to turn it into a permanent slice of the '60s in the city.

A daisy maze of red and yellow is painted in the center of the street (Joe Cocker did a cameo there the other day). The tattoo parlor is now a tarot-card reading space. A dingy management office is a Black Panther Party headquarters.

ABC No Rio, a community arts center, has been marked with graffiti to become Café Huh?

La Placita, a rundown bodega, was replaced by the Psychedelicatessen, which features a huge mushroom banner reading "Feed Your Head" with colored bongs in the window. (Several bumbling potheads have asked to buy one, '60s in the city.

A daisy maze of red and yellow is painted in the center of the street (Joe Cocker did a cameo there the other day). The tattoo parlor is now a tarot-card reading space. A dingy management office is a Black Panther Party headquarters.

La Placita, a rundown bodega, was replaced by the Psychedelicatessen, which features a huge mushroom banner reading "Feed Your Head" with colored bongs in the window. (Several bumbling potheads have asked to buy one, forcing the crew to put up signs warning "This is a movie set.")

"Support Hemp" and "Love Our Mother" stickers, peace signs, Grateful Dead posters and tie-dye T-shirts are some of the groovy Wizard of Oz-esque treats that line the streets.

"We used St. Marks Place and Haight Ashbury as a model," says production designer Mark Friedberg, whose credits include "Far From Heaven," "Pollock" and the upcoming film version of "The Producers."

"It was during a time when people were so compelled to let down who they were that they painted their entire neighborhood. We've made a collage, essentially. It is heightened for the purposes of making a musical. What's amazing is how it seems to be affecting people. It's been received so positively. Usually it annoys people when we do a big set, but really people embraced it. People thought it was permanent and we were part of some urban renewal project," Friedberg said.

"We didn't want to be in the trendiest neighborhood, we wanted to be in a cross-cultural neighborhood that an artistic community would move to," he said. Folks in the neighborhood "really appreciated this explosion of color."

Indeed, residents have taken to hanging out on the streets, chilling with the crew and socializing with their neighbors.

The other day, Wilhelm Mercado, a 23-year-old photographer who lives on Rivington Street, was taking pictures of some of the stickers and walking his dog.

"It's righteous, man," he said. "It's beautiful. Julie Taymor is a super-visionary. They totally transformed the street. It's this great energy that was given to the block. It's a psychedelic, post-apocalyptic mind bomb."

And Randi Sabel, owner of Dreadlocks by Randi, a beauty parlor on Rivington Street, hopes this will increase tourism.

"It's cool and different," she says. "It's real nice for the community."

While shooting for the movie is over, the groovy set is up for view this weekend. And shop owners are reluctant to tear anything down.

Dominican restaurant Cibao is keeping their beautiful red and yellow kaleidoscopic storefront. So is Alias restaurant, an American bistro joint that has a giant two-headed dragon painted across the front.

"It's fun, it's great," says Janet Nelson, owner of Alias. "There was so much work and effort that was put into it [the painting]. We had one couple who came down who remembered the original Psychedelicatessen, which was originally a deli on St. Marks Place that people wrote 'Psyche' in front of."

Oddly enough, Friedberg, a New York native who grew up in the 1960s, relied heavily on his interns, Web sites and a new book called "Hippie" to help him collect research for the set.

"The young people on our staff helped me look at this time," he says. "I didn't want to look at it as a prisoner of my history, but to look at it as what they see it as ... and what they are excited about it."

Gregory Allan Bock, 28, a stand-in for lead character Jude, was working overtime last week, sitting outside of Alias restaurant's serpent-painted storefront.

He seemed mystified, and not the least bit eager to get off work.

"I think it's amazing," he says. "I'm shocked they were allowed to do this with the old vintage music posters in the window, and changing the street signs, the mushroom stickers. I can't believe I'm on a set of a movie."

AtomicLemon said:

While shooting for the movie is over, the groovy set is up for view this weekend. "

Isn't this taping on Sunday :shifty: Thanks for the info !

Now to find out the time :happy:

Last edited:
Does anyone know this person who won the auction or have any more information on this? It would have been taped last weekend. Waiting to hear something.....anything.....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom