Band's multi-million search for a little privacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niamh_Saoirse

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Irish Independent
March 23, 2005

BONO still hasn't found what he is looking for - residentially that is - despite having two adjoining homes in the most exclusive residential location in the country.

Bono, who lives at 'Temple Hill', Vico Road, Dalkey, South Co Dublin, purchased his neighbour's home Curlews two years ago in a private €4m plus deal to try protect his privacy.

In the late 1980s he also bought another smaller granite gate lodge property which was on an elevated site overlooking his Temple Hill home paying well over the odds for it at the time.

His latest impressive and secluded sea-facing property was sold by retiring Jim FitzPatrick who had been firm friends with the family for some years. Just before that deal, Bono had been granted permission to extend his own mansion.

He subsequently then sought and secured permission for a three-storey extension and a two-storey corridor to link it up with the house in the face of tough opposition by An Taisce. Most recently he is now proposing to extend some more space to the new 'Curlews' property as well as adding a lift and retaining the terrace on the roof - but Dun Laoighaire Rathdown have not yet officially received any formal application.

Within viewing distance of Bono's home on the same road, U2 guitarist, The Edge (Dave Evans), also planned to extend his terracotta coloured Sorrento Cottage but the proposal fell at the planning fences in 2003 when the High Court refused to quash a Bord Pleanala decision against extending the home there. Fed up with the planning process The Edge went on to buy another larger property, 'Fortlands', nearby on 1.25 acres for around €4m.

In the meantime, anti-third world debt campaigner Bono and his singing partner Edge bought three adjoining homes on the French Riveria town of Eze-Sur-Mer.

And Howth-based drummer, Larry Mullen, bought his next door neighbour's beachfront home when it came on the market four years ago.

Cliodhna O'Donoghue
Property Editor

335547.jpg

Thanks for posting the article!

I really don't think it's cool, though, that they gave out his address. It's bad enough that people try and find his house and hang outside the gates. Now they'll know right where to go. :huh:

Well, it's no secret where they live.

And if the paper hadn't posted the address, it wouldn't be a big deal to find out. Ask anyone in Dublin and they'll tell ya where they live.

:shrug:

I think a lot of fans around the world are familiar with where he lives, so yep as you say Niamh It's not exactly a secret!

I mean, i've known that for years! :wink:

My friend who hates U2 and knows little about them was able to find Bono's house when he was in Dublin with his work.

I'd hate to be so famous I needed to buy land left, right, and centre to get more privacy.

susanp6 said:
I think a lot of fans around the world are familiar with where he lives, so yep as you say Niamh It's not exactly a secret!

I mean, i've known that for years! :wink:

:yes:

I also know where he lives here in NY!

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Well, it's no secret where they live.

And if the paper hadn't posted the address, it wouldn't be a big deal to find out. Ask anyone in Dublin and they'll tell ya where they live.

:shrug:

I guess. I'm just in a bad mood today, so I read that and took it the wrong way. :reject:

The privacy thing is probably the main reason I would really hate being a celebrity. The money just wouldn't be worth it for me, I'm an intensely private person, and because I'm an average schmuck I'm able to stay private with no complicating factors. Whew!

Thanks for the article Niamh! :)

I want to be rich. But I agree with you Verte, I'd hate to see people around my house or taking pics of me when on holidays!!:no:

Yeah, I read that yesterday in the newspaper. Sad, but true... I'd hate being a celebrity. I'd rather not have as much money and a private life than the other way around...

I didn't know his address and I'm not planning on going there and annoying his family either.
Privacy is something so precious to me that I care to respect others, especially someone's I admire and who is known to be so friendly and so communicative with fans.

Some people should consider giving them a break sometimes.

Last edited:
I really need to get off my lazy arse and go to Dublin. I've been wanting to go to the Kitchen since I was 15. That was well way over TEN years ago...Jeesh.

I want to be able to say, "I love that bar!!!"

Jealous....:|

Back
Top Bottom