Baldwin slams Bono's charity work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the quote Bono is always citing from Sam Shepard, smack dab in the middle of a contradiction, that's the place to be? First off, I've had it with these vicious, sanctimonious so-called Christians, no where else will you find people who slag off Jesus and all His teachings stand for like a born-again Christian. A truth that seems like a contradiction.

And I don't know who ever got the idea that doing the right thing brings approval and rewards in this existence, but it wasn't from a true Christian. Jesus defied the Pharisees and their evil teachings, healed the sick, made the blind see, on and on, and what did He get for it? Mockery, torture and crucifixion. A truth that seems like a contradiction. So Bono is in extremely good company, and is blessed that a higher price is not demanded of him. I always think of this quote from Zora Neale Hurston's Moses, Man of the Mountain: "If you want that good feeling that comes from doing things for other folks, then you have to pay for it in abuse and misunderstanding." And she's talking about the Old Testament!

Stephen Baldwin is confused, unhappy, clutching for something he doesn't understand out of misery, and is letting controlling people do his thinking for him -- don't go after him, pray for him. Now that's ONE HELL OF A CONTRADICTION!!:wink: But it's the truth!

Niamh_Saoirse said:
From Contactmusic.com

Actor STEPHEN BALDWIN has criticised BONO's crusade against poverty in Africa, insisting the U2 singer should preach Christianity instead. THE USUAL SUSPECTS actor, who is a born-again Christian, is convinced the world can only heal itself by following the teachings of JESUS CHRIST. The 40-year-old writes of Bono in his upcoming autobiography THE UNUSUAL SUSPECT: MY CALLING TO THE NEW HARDCORE MOVEMENT OF FAITH, "You would do far more good if you just preached the gospel of Jesus rather than trying to get rid of Third World debt relief."

Charity is one of the core elements of Christianism, Mr Baldwin; so I believe Mr Hewson is on the right track. ;)

:yawn: :rolleyes:

He needs something to do because his last big movie was Bio-Dome with Pauly Shore. :lol:

Last edited:
:clearsthroat: Ahem.... In response, I will now quote one of our lads: F.O.A.D. -- wanker!!! :madspit:

Really, people, is this such a big deal? It's not unusual for people to rant about Bono's crusades; it's a very uncomfortable thing to have some Irish guy tell oh-so-pious Americans we need to get off our lazy asses and do some work, to put our money where our big mouths are, to let us know our shit stinks like everyone else's. He's bursting our bubble for us, and many of the rich and famous don't like it. So why are we surprised when the screaming fits and attacks begin?
Think of it like this: despite the lackwits who pretend to be Christian, we all know Bono IS following the teachings of Jesus Christ. Because there is no better teaching example than walking the walk you talk about.

This from a person who isn't in the least bit Christian. :shrug:

Galeongirl said:
why do people always bash the do-gooders? why don't they do something they believe is good for the world instead?
Because that would require they get off their arses and do some actual WORK! :yikes: It's just so much easier to poke fun at those who are doing good work. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside, I totally agree with you. Naysaying has never made the world a better place.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Baldwin slams Bono's charity work

Galeongirl said:

:reject: I don't even know it... I have never even heard of this guy! only Alec baldwin..

I never heard of him either , but if you take a look at the pic BonoFox posted. He must be the least talented of the bunch. So he has to get attention some way.:shame: on him for picking on Bono.

Dismantled said:

hey leave the hair alone YBOR:mad:

Isn't Steven the blond stupid dopey looking baldwin?

it because some people are just plain miserable and mean spirited...they just want to kill any goodness.

Just joking - it was a comment tongue in cheek because a lot of people here complain about all that stuff I wrote.

Wait a minute Dis :mad: ....... I take back my wonderful Birthday Wishes for ya'

:wink:

It is fun to point out that even dear Henry Rollins has said if he approves of one thing about Bono, it's how he's trying to help rid the third world of their debt.

Unless you know what they're doing, know what they're doing wrong, and do it the right way yourself, only then do I think you have any right at saying something.

Yeah, I'm sure shoving your beliefs down the throats of people that don't really care does so much more good than trying to better other people's lives! Oh shut up, you self righteous git, Bono! Cuz I don't think people in Africa are as important as some dead bloke who was apparently the son of God!

(Apologies for offending any Christians on here, but it pisses me off when people shove their beliefs down other people's throat. Yeah, when asked, that's fine, but that was completely uncalled for, and stupid anyway.)

YBORCITYOBL said:

Just joking - it was a comment tongue in cheek because a lot of people here complain about all that stuff I wrote.

Wait a minute Dis :mad: ....... I take back my wonderful Birthday Wishes for ya'

:wink:

don't mess with me man:angry::madwife:

:wink: ...I was just kidding anyway...jeez...:hug:

wait...no I wasn't:angry:

Galeongirl said:
why do people always bash the do-gooders? why don't they do something they believe is good for the world instead?

I agree! It's me Incase you don't see my new screen name on this site. Octu2

Niamh_Saoirse said:
From Contactmusic.com

Actor STEPHEN BALDWIN has criticised BONO's crusade against poverty in Africa, insisting the U2 singer should preach Christianity instead. THE USUAL SUSPECTS actor, who is a born-again Christian, is convinced the world can only heal itself by following the teachings of JESUS CHRIST. The 40-year-old writes of Bono in his upcoming autobiography THE UNUSUAL SUSPECT: MY CALLING TO THE NEW HARDCORE MOVEMENT OF FAITH, "You would do far more good if you just preached the gospel of Jesus rather than trying to get rid of Third World debt relief."

:eyebrow:...... :shrug:

:up:Never heard of someone called Stephen Baldwin, only Alec Baldwin :angel:

MadDaisy said:
Why does Baldwin feel the need to comment? What exactly is he doing to help? :eyebrow:

MadDaisy said:
Why does Baldwin feel the need to comment? What exactly is he doing to help? :eyebrow:

First, there are more religions than just Christianity. I'm happy that Baldwin - at a mere 40 years of age - has finally got his partying lifestyle behind him and suddenly found God, but that doesn't mean Christianity is the only way. Others have led very good lives for a lot longer than 40 years, and they are not Christian.

Second, Bono is a Christian. So is Baldwin attacking Bono for doing what is a very Christian thing - namely helping others? I'm lost here. Christianity is not just about reading the Bible and spreading the word. Coverting people is great - but helping them actually live is far better. Would Baldwin rather have Bono go to Africa with a bunch of Bibles? I think the people of Africa would prefer medicine, wells, free trade, food, clothing, etc.

Third, who the heck is Stephen Baldwin? O.K., I know he's been in some big movies, but he's perhapst he least popular of the stars in the family. Why would anyone bother to buy that book much less even really listen to what he had to say? Bono's done his homework - even strongly conservative Christian politicians agree with him. Bono even had Pope John Paul II with him! I doubt Baldwin will ever get this from his book. Oh, the horror - I'm a rich, partying movie star who no longer gets offered parts. I know, I'll write a book.

Fourth, blah.

Back
Top Bottom