Bad News for the European Fans!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinninghead77

Refugee
Girls!! It looks like U2 has cancelled their summer tour!!

http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/018489.html

I am soooooooo sorry everyone. It sucks that we got spoiled by U2 over here in Europe, and now you guys have to be let down. Hopefully they will start the next tour in Europe.

I am glad to hear that they are taking a rest though. They have worked so hard and deserve a break. Also, now they can totally focus on the new album. It is going to be a good one
biggrin.gif
!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75:
I am sorry that the European Fans will not be able to see them but i am glad to see that they are going to rest. they do need to take a long holiday, they and their families deserve every min. of it.

My thoughts exactly. Actually, if I'm sorry for anyone it's the Australian, South-American, African and Asian fans.

I guess they need to take some time off, but still....

*sniff

it?s very sad. Hopefully they?ll use the time to make a new album and Adam will find time to get married and pass on his genes!!!

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I'm disappointed for our Euro-PLEBAns & friends; I know how I would feel if I had been looking forward to it & counting on it.

BUT... I think they do need a break *cough-finish-new-album* & then who knows what surprises they may have in store later. They could be planning something really great to totally make up for cancelling the summer tour.
I know, I'm hopelessly optimistic!
I never learn.

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~
** Official Minister of Swagger for L.E.A.T.H.E.R. **

I refuse to believe this until someone in or close to the band says it in an interwiew or something.....

I really don?t think that Bono would state that they WERE touring if he had even the slightest doubt because he knows it would crush the fans!

But whatever they decide I will see the sooner or later even if I have to go back to the US!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

[This message has been edited by Lemonboy (edited 03-11-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonboy:
I refuse to believe this until someone in or close to the band says it in an interwiew or something.....

apparently it is on U2.com now. Don't know if it gets much more official than that.

Hey I guess it's true.... at least for now.

From u2.com:

Stories have been swirling round the net for some time about possible dates in 2002 but contrary to current rumours there'll be no U2 dates this summer.

If U2 have any tour dates to announce in the future you can be sure U2.Com will bring them to you as soon as they are officially confirmed.

I feel bad for all the countries that they didn't get to.... but I also think they need a little break from it all....

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

When I heard they weren't releasing the album soon, I had a feeling the plans would fall apart. This sucks. Rest is good, but still, this sucks.

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Why am I not surprised anymore?
rolleyes.gif

sure, fine, I think they deserve a break and hell yeah do I want a new album!! I just can't see why they couldn't have split their touring into other parts of the world but no they decided to 'favourize'(word??) the U.S. completely instead for some unknown reason, and now they're so tired that they can't tour for a while.

Originally posted by Salome:
how is that?

[/B]

I just think that with all the stuff they have been doing recently (Super Bowl, Grammies, et al), they need a break. They seem to be everywhere; hence the kinda sorta backlash. This will also give them the opportunity to make new music (if they so chose).

I'm wasn't saying that I'm happy that they are not touring, I do feel bad that there won't be a European Tour. I know everyone was looking foward to it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just eager to hear new stuff from them.

------------------
Daisy

Uncertainty...it can be a guiding light

AIM: daisyone75

http://communities.msn.com/Piccies

Originally posted by daisybean:
I just think that with all the stuff they have been doing recently (Super Bowl, Grammies, et al), they need a break. They seem to be everywhere; hence the kinda sorta backlash.
they have hardly been in the news over here the last few months

I do agree though that a new album is more preferable

I agree even more with U2freak though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by daisybean:
I just think that with all the stuff they have been doing recently (Super Bowl, Grammies, et al), they need a break. They seem to be everywhere; hence the kinda sorta backlash. This will also give them the opportunity to make new music (if they so chose).

I'm wasn't saying that I'm happy that they are not touring, I do feel bad that there won't be a European Tour. I know everyone was looking foward to it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just eager to hear new stuff from them.

Great points Daisy...along with being great musicians they are also very smart businessmen and they know when they are being over-exposed. We as dedicated fans can never get too much of them but not everyone feels that way. If I wasn't a fan, I would probably be really sick of seeing them everywhere by now.

They have also hinted at being behind schedule on the new album because of Bono's travels so maybe they want to focus on that right now.

Don't forget that the Elevation tour was originaly supposed to be 3 months long and it stretched out for what, almost 2 years? Bono, Edge and Larry all have kids under 3 years old who need their daddy's to be home more, not to mention their wives/significant others who probably will appreciate a long holiday. Who knows, maybe it will result in another U2 baby boom!

I'm still going to Europe too. It will probably be more relaxed now anyway, since I won't have to worry about scoring u2 tickets. I can just really take the time to enjoy myself!

Can't wait to see Ireland finally!

OMG
frown.gif
frown.gif

This was until now such a beautiful day and I was in such a good mood.

As much as they deserve a break I'm really, really sad about this. I was really looking forward to get some news about them over here for a change and travel around Europe with some canadian friends and see them.

To be totally honest, what kept my mood up and what helped me not being too jealous while seeing them spoil US the last half a year was that they were going back here this summer.

What helps me a little now is that I at least will go to Dublin in May.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
Great points Daisy...along with being great musicians they are also very smart businessmen and they know when they are being over-exposed. We as dedicated fans can never get too much of them but not everyone feels that way. If I wasn't a fan, I would probably be really sick of seeing them everywhere by now.

The thing is that it's only in US they are over-exposed not anywhere else. Over here in Europe we haven't seen anything of them so I don't think that's the reason they are not touring.
We are still thirsty and would be more then happy to see more of them, even non fans. I have a bunch of friends, non fans, that really was looking forward to see them this summer because they didn't got a chance last summer or they have just discovered them.

It's ok. They can take a nap! -They certainly deserve one. I just hope they're not all "let's not tour-EVER!!!!". 'Cos some fo us missed out on the last one and need to see them live....and I DON'T WANT to talk about it, so DON'T ASK.
mad.gif

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

I feel really bad for all the European fans, but I think it's for the best. They need to take a break. (That means you, too, Bono!!!) And regroup. Besides, they are really close to overexposure.

They need to go away and dream it all up again.
smile.gif

------------------
"I have a dragon, and I know how to use it. I'm a donkey on the edge!" -Shrek

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
The thing is that it's only in US they are over-exposed not anywhere else. Over here in Europe we haven't seen anything of them so I don't think that's the reason they are not touring.
We are still thirsty and would be more then happy to see more of them, even non fans. I have a bunch of friends, non fans, that really was looking forward to see them this summer because they didn't got a chance last summer or they have just discovered them.

I'm sorry Miss Zooropa, but sometimes I suffer from the disease known as American Sense of Entitlement
smile.gif

I tend to forget that there is a big world out there and I just assume that everyone gets their fair share of U2 but I know that is far from true.

The American media is so hugely powerful that I can honestly say that I hear or see something U2 related every single day, whether it's on TV, the radio, a newspaper, magazines, you name it.

I don't know why Europe seems to be excluded from a lot of this, including tour dates. It seems odd considering that U2 is a European band. They did seem to focus most of their tour dates on the US and Canada.

I am sorry and I feel really bad for you and all of the other fans who will not get to see them this time around. Sometimes I just need to have my eyes opened a little to see someone else's point of view.

With all that said, it really is possible that they are just tired, physically and mentally?

Let's take a look on the bright side:

1. heavy load off of shoulders; i.e. no stress for tix, no stress lining up and hoping for first row
2. look at your bank account, you have loads of money to spend on other things, I myself, I think I'm gonna hit Brown Thomas for Gucci
biggrin.gif

3. the most important!!!!
Bono deserves to see at least one of his kids growing up!

biggrin.gif

I don't think they 'need a break' I mean it's not like they have to work a real job every day like I do! They have plenty of days and weeks to do what they want or just do nothing. Summer is a long way off, hey they only need about a week to rest and it's not like traveling around and playing music is such hard work is it? I do hope they will continue the tour and the European fans deserve more shows.

BTW I heard they 'cancelled' because of death threats to Bono by terrorists, what's the deal with that? Don't you think he's in more danger hanging out with political types than singing anyway?

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Originally posted by Autumn454:
I don't think they 'need a break' I mean it's not like they have to work a real job every day like I do! They have plenty of days and weeks to do what they want or just do nothing. Summer is a long way off, hey they only need about a week to rest and it's not like traveling around and playing music is such hard work is it? I do hope they will continue the tour and the European fans deserve more shows.

BTW I heard they 'cancelled' because of death threats to Bono by terrorists, what's the deal with that? Don't you think he's in more danger hanging out with political types than singing anyway?

Okay, I know I'm gonna set myself up for a good flaming for this but what makes you think they don't deserve a break? Do you think they owe us their physical and mental health or that their families aren't important? And if there have been death threats, that's an even better reason not to tour. I would rather have Bono alive and well even if we never see U2 tour again than to have something bad happen to him.

Now I hope that they do a tour with all the best features from past tours like the Vidiwalls of ZooTV and The Heart and *Gasp* THE LEMON!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

[This message has been edited by Lemonboy (edited 03-12-2002).]

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
Okay, I know I'm gonna set myself up for a good flaming for this but what makes you think they don't deserve a break? Do you think they owe us their physical and mental health or that their families aren't important? And if there have been death threats, that's an even better reason not to tour. I would rather have Bono alive and well even if we never see U2 tour again than to have something bad happen to him.

Charlene, I agree with you.

Let me also add: It's true that they don't work 9-5 jobs like most of us do, but does that mean that our jobs are more "real" than theirs? On tour they travel to city after city, night after night, playing the same core group of songs each night. I know after a while the pure repetition of it would drive me absolutely batty. Not to mention the fact that they are away from their homes and families a lot. Imagine being away, then coming back to find that your newborn is now walking and you missed all the in between.

In terms of threats, these have to be taken seriously. I don't know how true the rumor is, but it would be more than just the band. Say someone threatened one of their shows, not only would the band be in danger, but the 50,000 + people attending.

------------------
Daisy

Uncertainty...it can be a guiding light

AIM: daisyone75

http://communities.msn.com/Piccies

Back
Top Bottom