B/E at the World Music Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoFox1

Blue Crack Supplier
Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back agai
At the World Music awards Union Chapel in Islington North London Nov 23 2007

Pol005.jpg

Pol004.jpg

I posted this in EYKIW earlier, just thought i'd bring it across to PLEBA too ;)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ticle502356.ece

ROCK legends BONO and THE EDGE left lucky fans rejoicing with a surprise set at an intimate church gig on Friday night.

The U2 duo were special guests at the Mencap Little Noise Sessions at the Union Chapel, Islington, North London.

Host JO WHILEY introduced the stars to the crowd of around 300 music fans - many of whom had no idea the world's biggest band were about to take the stage.

The tiny crowd in the grand church setting then enjoyed one of the most amazing short sets they had ever seen.

They opened with 1993 hit Stay which left the privileged fans with their hairs standing on end.

And Bono turned his hit Angel of Harlem into a touching tribute to INXS singer MICHAEL HUTCHENCE on the tenth anniversary of his death.

The pair ended the set with the debut of a new track - more than 20 years after they started writing it.

The song, based on Bono's experiences in Ethiopia in the 1980s, was an incredible end to a very special gig.

Bono said: "About 20 years ago we started a tune that we never finished. We've just finished it. Just don't tell LARRY or ADAM that we've played it."

It was an emotive finale to one of the most emotional 25 minutes of music imaginable.

The lucky few hundred fans were left counting their blessings that they were there to see it.

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/32721

U2 play surprise gig in London

Band dust off rare track for acoustic show

U2's Bono and The Edge played a surprise gig tonight (November 22) at London's Union Chapel.

Playing as part of Mencap's Little Noise Sessions, the duo surprised the audience with a four song set which included rare track 'Wave Of Sorrow'.

The identity of the 'special guests' was shrouded in mystery when introduced by host Jo Whiley as "a new band with a lot of potential...Dave the guitarist is very nervous...If he makes a mistake forgive him, he's new. The singer is very shy."

The band opened with 'Zooropa' track 'Stay (Faraway, So Close)' with Bono reading the lyrics off a sheet on a music stand.

The singer changed the lyrics: "You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Berlin" to " You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, Belfast and Islington," which was met by roars of approval from the crowd.

After the track finished The Edge said : "I hope you like our new direction."

Launching into 'Desire', Bono ad libbed parts of INXS' 'Need You Tonight' into the track. He sang the lyrics "I've got to let you know / You're one of my kind."

He started clapping before taking out a harmonica to play on the track's distinctive finish.

Bono introduced 'Angel Of Harlem' by saying : "This is our only Christmas song."

After a false start which saw the singer sing the start of 'Like A Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan over The Edge's riff, the duo continued.

At one point Bono said : "Merry Christmas Yoko."

When the song finished the pair shook hands.

Bono then introduced the next track by saying : "So about 20 years ago we started a tune on 'The Joshua Tree' and yesterday we just finished it. This song is based on the experiences that my lovely wife Ali had in Ethiopia.

"You forget that this was the land of the Queen Of Sheeba...I was 25 and it was an extraordinary time to be there...It was an overwhelming experience.

"This (song) has never been played before. Just don't tell Larry (Mullen) and Adam (Clayton) we're doing it...Oh Adam's here! This is for you sir."

They played 'Wave Of Sorrow' with The Edge playing the keyboards.

Bono said : "Thanks for being so generous," and The Edge said : "I hope you didn't notice there were a few mistakes but I was told that was okay...I felt the love."

:love: Imagine being there!!! :faint:

When I received the newsletter today I first thought this was a JOKE!

This is just so incredibly awsome. U2 playing such a small set. Accousic! Shadeless Bono! The setlist! Wave of Sorrow! Wow, I still cannot believe it. I wish there were any audio/video recordings available.

Thank you for the pictures!

thanks a lot, BF1 and acrobat :applaud:

I'm happy to see them together and guess with a bit of nostalgia that the show must have been so intimate, love when they play acoustic. wish to be there :sigh:

thanks again, girls :hug:

BBC News
Referring to their bandmates, Bono joked: "Don't tell Larry (Mullen) and Adam (Clayton) we've done this."
BBC Radio 1 DJ Jo Whiley, the event's curator, said the multi-million-selling duo "were actually nervous beforehand".
:giggle:

Biffy Clyro singer Simon Neil said he had found out only on Friday morning that Bono and The Edge were to perform.
"We got to meet them earlier and they were very kind. They actually apologised to us for jumping on our show which obviously, you know, is incredibly polite," he said.
:cute:

Last edited:
I don't feel envy at all... no no... no envy....:no: :scream:

It's great to see them playing again though.... I hope we could see a video...

Edge looks :drool: as always.... :giggle:

thanks bonofox1 for posting the photos :D Bono and edge look great :D Bono is looking sexy :drool:

thanks to the people who posted the articles and links :D

Hope we see some video of it. ;)

onekea said:
thanks a lot, BF1 and acrobat :applaud:

Biffy Clyro singer Simon Neil said he had found out only on Friday morning that Bono and The Edge were to perform.
"We got to meet them earlier and they were very kind.

They actually apologised to us for jumping on our show which obviously, you know, is incredibly polite," he said.

"Apologized" ??....... wow! One of the dozen reasons i love this band so much. They're so unassuming, they're so "real". Just love love love them.

Thankyou for the great pictures Bonofox1 !! :up:

It must have been surreal to be there. I can but imagine that the majority of people went home incredulous that they had such unbelievable luck. A free acoustic concert from one of the most sought out bands in the world. :faint: Since there were only 250 people or so, it must have felt incredibly intimate and closeup. What a magical night.

Maybe U2 decide to pop into one of our churches one day to perform a couple of songs ... hmmm, I think I need to go to church more often.

Btw, this event was for a charity that Edge has been supporting for some time now.

BonoFox1 said:

This has to be one of my favourite photos of the two of them. Just look how lovingly Edge looks at Bono. And Edge is wearing the ONE wristband. Great pictures, Bono's singing so passionatly, I wish there would be more pictures and, most of all, some sort of recording! This seems just so surreal.

OMG, I would have died if I was in that church! What a dream.....

I see some patterns here!!

Joking or not, the new direction for the band ....acoustic??? :scratch: Didn't that speculation come up a months ago after Vertigo ended?
Hmmmm. Plus no shades again for Bono? Wow. I feel like we are in the midst of a transition for U2!
How exciting!!
I love the no shades look btw.....I love to see his eyes!

Back
Top Bottom