B/E at the World Music Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG, I am away from this place for a little while, and look what happens.
Thanks to the fantastic plebans around the globe, who keep tabs on our " special interests" daily!!:bow

javiu2 said:
You can read a complete chronicle in Spanish of the concert here .

Thanks to everybody who have contributed videos and images!!!

--------------------------------
U2Miracle

Any chance some nice person could translate this into english, pretty please?

Dana

Ante un aforo de 300 personas, el dúo sorprendió a la audiencia tocando cuatro canciones, incluyendo "Wave of Sorrow".

El setlist del concierto fué:

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Desire / Need You Tonight (snippet)
3. Like A Rolling Stone (snippet) / Angel Of Harlem
4. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)

Fueron introducidos por el anfitrión del acto, Jo Whiley, de una manera especial, "una nueva banda con un gran potencial, Dave, el guitarrista está muy nervioso, perdonarle si él incurre en alguna equivocación, es nuevo. El cantante es muy tímido"

La "nueva" banda abrió el concierto con la canción "Stay (Faraway, So Close), Bono leía la letra en una hoja que estaba en un atril.

El cantante cambió la letra "You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Berlin" to " You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, Belfast and Islington,", y los allí presentes empezaron a gritar.

Cuando acabaron la canción The Edge dijo "espero que os guste la nueva dirección"

Bono añadió parte de la letra de "Need You Tonight" de INXS cuando estaba cantando "Desire", "I´ve got let you know/You´re one of my kind".

Él empezó a aplaudir antes de sacar una armónica para tocar un distinto final de la canción.

Bono introdujo la siguiente canción "Angel of Harlem" diciendo: "Esta es nuestra canción de navidad"

Después d un intento fallido en el cual el cantante cantó el comienzo de "Like a Rolling Stone" de Bob Dylan sobre un riff de The Edge, el duo continuó su actuación.

De pronto Bono dijo "Feliz navidad, Yoko" y para terminar la canción empezó a dar palmas.

A continuación Bono introdujo la siguiente canción con estas palabras "Hace como 20 años comenzamos una melodía para el "Joshua Tree" y en el día de ayer la terminamos. Esta canción se basa en las experiencias que mi encantadora esposa Ali tuvo en Etiopía. Tu olvidas que ésta era la tierra de la Reina de Sheeba, tenía 25 años y fue extraordinario el estar allí, fue una experiencia abrumadora".

"Esta canción no ha sido nunca tocada antes. Así que no se lo digais a Larry y Adam que lo estamos haciendo... Oh!! Adam esta allí!! Esto es para ti Sir!!".Adam Clayton se encontraba en un balcón siguiendo el concierto.

Tocaron "Wave of Sorroe" con The Edge tocando los teclados.

Bono finalizó el concierto diciendo "Gracias por ser tan generosos" y The Edge dijo "Espero que no notaran que han habido algunos errores pero se me dijo que fué bien.. Setí el amor"

In front of a 300 person crowd, the duet took by surprise the audience playing four songs, including “wave of sorrow”.

The setlist of the concertwas:

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
2. Desire / Need You Tonight (snippet)
3. Like A Rolling Stone (snippet) / Angel Of Harlem
4. Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)

They were introduced by the host Jo Whiley in a special way, “a new band with great potential, Dave the Guitarrist is very nervous, excuse him if he makes some mistakes, he is new. The singer is very shy”

The “new” band opened the concert with the song Stay (Faraway, so close), Bono readed the lyrics from a sheet in a stand

The singer changed the lyrics "You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Berlin" to " You can go anywhere/ Miami, New Orleans, Belfast and Islington," and the presents started to scream.

When they were finished The Edge said “I hope you like our new direction”.

Bono added part of the lyric from “Need You Tonight” from INXS when he was singing “Desire”, "I’ve got let you know/you’re one of my kind".

He started to applaud before he used a Harmonica to play a different ending for the song.

Bono introduced the next song “Angel of Harlem” saying: “this is our Christmas song”.

After a failed try in which the singer sang the beginning of Bob Dylan’s “like a rolling stone” over an Edge’s riff, the duet continued their performance

Then, Bono introduced the next song with these words: “ 20 Years ago we started a melody for the Joshua Tree and Yesterday we finished it. This song is based upon the experiences that my lovely wife Ali had in Ethiopia. You forget that this was the land of Sheeba, I had 25 years, it was extraordinary being there, it was an overwhelming experience”.

“This song haven´t been played never before, so don't tell Larry and Adam that we are doing it… Oh! Adam is there!! This is for you Sir! Adam CLayton was in a balcony watching (following) the concert.

They played “wave of sorrow” with the edge playing the keyboards.

Bono ended the concert saying “Thank you for being so generous” and the Edge said “I hope you didn't notice that there were some mistakes, but I´ve been told it was OK, I felt the love”.

Well, that's it :D Hope it´s a good translation :reject: is basically the same we have been reading :D

Love english!! :drool: but I kill it from time to time :lmao:

Thanks, I thought from your description that it was a more detailed report from someone who was there. Sorry to get you to translate just for that. I really wish someone who was there would post a story somewhere or blog about it or something. That would be really cool.

Dana

Edit: I found a blog from a reporter.

-----------------------------------

Surprise surprise: it's U2
Bono and the Edge play a surprise gig
November 24, 2007 6:43 PM

There's surprise special guests, and then there's surprise special guests...
Last night, Bono and the Edge turned up unannounced at the Union Chapel in north London to play four songs - kicking off the third of the 'Little Noise Sessions' in aid of Mencap. Ok, we'd been tipped the wink earlier in the day, but this was pretty extraordinary.

For starters, Bono wasn't wearing his shades.
Secondly, we were watching them from 20 feet away, rather than several furlongs.
Thirdly, they performed a new song live for the first time. Well, 'Wave of Sorrow' was originally meant for inclusion on The Joshua Tree, but the Edge never quite finished it... until recently.
Jo Whiley, who is curating this series of gigs, had introduced this 'new band with a lot of potential.' The guitarist, she'd said, 'is very nervous... If he makes a mistake forgive him, he's new. The singer is very shy.'
Then the two took the stage, and kicked in to 'Stay', with Bono checking the words from a lyric sheet on a music stand. Rousing versions of 'Desire' and 'Angel of Harlem' followed, before a lengthy introduction to the newie, as the Edge settled himself at the piano. I have to confess I couldn't quite make out what Bono was saying - something to do with the Queen of Sheba and Ethiopia; he did say that no-one should let on to Adam or Larry from the band that they were going to play it live for the first time now - but then realised something: 'Oh Adam's here! This is for you sir.' Again, it was hard to decipher the lyrics on that first listen - it's certainly a dense, ambitious song; and one that will repay the epic treatment whenever it is that U2 finally tour again.
The contrast between the big stadium spectacle that the band have so perfected and the intimacy and often hesitancy on display last night was fascinating.
I have to say: I'm not the biggest U2 fan in the world. But catching them at Twickenham Stadium last time they rolled through town, I was inevitably impressed by their mastery of that medium. How interesting to see the schtick (though that's too harsh a word) stripped back to bare beginnings. The exchange of looks throughout the performance; their hand-shake at the end - a courtesy and mark of mutual respect that said so much about their longevity.
Backstage afterwards, your correspondent saw Bono meet the evening's headliners, Biffy Clyro (who later thrilled with an acoustic version of Rihanna's 'Umbrella'), and also talked briefly with him and the Edge.
Jeepers - they'd really never rehearsed 'Wave of Sorrow' properly, they confessed. Bono spoke very fondly of Jo Whiley ('she called, and when she calls, you can't turn her down'); asked who'll be making waves next year ('Adele? She's the one everyone's talking about, isn't she'); and enquired after the Todd Haynes film I'm Not There, which he's not seen yet.
He has seen Bob Dylan's new ad for Cadillac, however, and he essayed a warm imitation of his friend's performance in the clip.
Really, they both seemed like total dudes. Should that have felt like a surprise as well?
Some video of their performance might turn up on the official U2 website in due course.
Meanwhile, it looks like there are still tickets left for the Little Noise Sessions taking place on Monday (with Kate Nash, Robyn and more) and Tuesday (with the Enemy and others); it's such a beautiful venue, and such a worthwhile cause, you'd be well advised to go.
---------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Oh those are great! :ohmy: Unfortunately I can't get the AOL vids, just the you tubes... but misfit toys can get them... hopefully mt will get these as well. sorry!

(I have been adding each new better vid as they turn up... so eventually they will all end up in my file. :wink: )

bonocomet said:
Oh those are great! :ohmy: Unfortunately I can't get the AOL vids, just the you tubes... but misfit toys can get them... hopefully mt will get these as well. sorry!

(I have been adding each new better vid as they turn up... so eventually they will all end up in my file. :wink: )

thanks, I will be checking in on your file regularly ;)

Just listened to Desire.... omg- the return of the harmonica, so hot and Edge's voice sounds so strong and :drool:
can't wait to see the rest.

Greenlight said:
Those people who were there sure had a treat -the audios sound amazing.

There's a couple of photos and a brief report from the Friday night session on Jo Whiley's blog page
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jowhiley/2007/11/weekend_antics_1.shtml

I haven't worked out how to post photos but hopefully someone else can :) . No wonder she looks happy in the second photo :drool:

Thank you for the link!

BEJoLondon01.jpg

BEJoLondon02.jpg

Lucky Jo! How many times has she met them now?

last unicorn said:
Thank you for the link!

BEJoLondon01.jpg

BEJoLondon02.jpg

Lucky Jo! How many times has she met them now?
:hmm: I wouldn't mind being shopped into either of those photos.

And poor Bono, looks like he's got his right eye shut in the first one. I guess he still has to keep it protected from the camera flashes :(

I am really digging the double black stripe on his sleeve though :up:

:shifty: your wish is my command...

:whistle:

bonoedgelovechassco8.jpg

I FINALLY found a good tool in PS I could fix the skin colour with :lol: You have been my toughest job sofar!

So glad to see them playing more piano..I think it adds a lot of richness to a song. Thanks for all the links and photos. No shades = :love: :love: Did he have lasik?...this "no glasses" look seems to be a trend.

bonocomet said:

Now that just isn't fair. :grumpy:

:wink:

:drool:

not sure why the pic wont show up but it's the one with Edge, Jo and Bono...

I'm guessin' this will be one of the all-time most "shopped" photos on this site!!!!! Way to go Jo!! :sexywink:

Last edited:
laxmi said:

not sure why the pic wont show up but it's the one with Edge, Jo and Bono...

I'm guessin' this will be one of the all-time most "shopped" photos on this site!!!!! Way to go Jo!! :sexywink:

It's because I was already quoting the pic, and you were quoting me, and pics will only quote once. ;)

It's a great pic :yes:

Back
Top Bottom