attention animated GIF creators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
irelandwhispers said:

The whole idea of "compression" has me stumped...mine must be automatic. Is compression for the GIF frames or the GIF animation? (Sounds like for animation to me. I don't edit the GIF animations unless I'm adding weird special effects in which case the cartooniness doesn't matter. Microsoft GIF Animator doesn't let you work with the frames; it just puts the frames you've already made together.) :sad: Micrografx is supposed to have a feature to put animations together, but my particular version won't let me save the animations unless I upgrade.

I haven't looked at the file size of my final animations, but I know I can manipulate them to some extent to keep the file size down. What are decent file sizes for animations? How about a single frame?

OK, without getting too technical, yes, your program probably compresses all the frames before they are saved as one gif.

Gif files can be whatever size you want them to be. BUT, I was told that for the purpose of using them on this forum in a sig, the gif has to be less than 50K.

erised said:

OK, without getting too technical, yes, your program probably compresses all the frames before they are saved as one gif.

Gif files can be whatever size you want them to be. BUT, I was told that for the purpose of using them on this forum in a sig, the gif has to be less than 50K.

The GIF animator compresses them? Can you explain compression more thoroughly? I'm confused about when compression occurs: when I convert the file to a GIF, or when I turn the GIF frames into an animation. I don't mind the technical bits. In fact, that's what I'm interested in. I just don't know any computer nerds to ask. I'm as nerdy as they come around here. (None of my friends or immediate family have any clue what GIFs are!)

:reject: I hope I'm not being too annoying. :sigh: I seem to have a gift for it.

I'm aware of the 50K guideline already.

irelandwhispers said:

The GIF animator compresses them? Can you explain compression more thoroughly? I'm confused about when compression occurs: when I convert the file to a GIF, or when I turn the GIF frames into an animation. I don't mind the technical bits. In fact, that's what I'm interested in. I just don't know any computer nerds to ask. I'm as nerdy as they come around here. (None of my friends or immediate family have any clue what GIFs are!)

I hope I'm not being too annoying. I seem to have a gift for it.

I'm aware of the 50K guideline already.

Well, I'm gonna have to do that another time cuz it's WAY past my bed time :yes: :yawn:

This is gonna be me on work tomorrow ---> :crack:

:wave:

erised said:

Well, I'm gonna have to do that another time cuz it's WAY past my bed time :yes: :yawn:

This is gonna be me on work tomorrow ---> :crack:

:wave:

I look something like this right now: :crazy: I must have gotten about 3 hours of sleep.

Back
Top Bottom