Article-Behind Bono's sunglasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hay

Refugee
Hi all :wave:
I was emailed a link (([url]http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/so-bono-why-the-shades/2005/10/20/1129775890297.html)[/URL] ) to this and thought I would post it for all :)

Behind Bono's sunglasses
October 20, 2005 - 4:09PM

U2 singer and world aid activist Bono has revealed his penchant for sunglasses stems - at least in part - from a medical condition.

"Very sensitive eyes to light," he said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"If somebody takes my photograph, I will see the flash for the rest of the day. My right eye swells up."

But the Irish performer admits his shades are handy for others reasons too.

"It's part vanity, it's part privacy and part sensitivity," he said.

Bono dubs himself the "Imelda Marcos of sunglasses" in the interview, to be published in the forthcoming issue of Rolling Stone.

And his favourite brand? "Bulgari," he confided.

"A lot of people think that, when they see a 'B' on the side, that it's just my own megalomania. Only half the time it is."

The singer, who met US President George Bush for lunch in Washington today, said he had no fear of political leaders.

"They should be afraid, because they will be held accountable for what happened on their watch," he said.

"I'm representing the poorest and the most vulnerable people. I'm throwing a punch, and the fist belongs to people who can't be in the room, whose rage, whose anger, whose hurt I represent."

But despite his confidence, Bono said he would "watch his mouth" and try to be respectful to Mr Bush.

He said he wanted to "shake this man's hand", seeing as he would soon be doubling US aid to Africa.

- theage.com.au with agencies

Poor B's eyes :(

I never heard that, he sure left them off a lot during Elevation and we on PLEBA know we do have lots of non shade pics, especially ones that were taken by fans of just him walking down the street. The band has said they didn't care if you take their pic just don't flash their eyes.

U2Kitten said:
I never heard that, he sure left them off a lot during Elevation and we on PLEBA know we do have lots of non shade pics, especially ones that were taken by fans of just him walking down the street. The band has said they didn't care if you take their pic just don't flash their eyes.

Maybe be it gets worse as he gets older :shrug:. I know I have to wear shades a lot more outside now or I'll get a headache :(.

:heart: Well, shades if shades are necessary to protect those eyes I'll never complain again lol. PLus, I like those red and green ones :drool: :drool: :wink:

Lemon Grrrrrl said:
I'm going to put a Band-Aid over my disposable camera flash on my next concert. I hope everyone else does the same. :) Maybe write PLEBAn on it or something - if we all do it we'll really stand out! Who's with me?

LG that won't be good for us taking pics at night in areas where not well lit

....but i do have 2 other suggestions..... One i started thinking about be4 oct....

i hope to have in place by their nov shows...
getting a small Translucent piece of plastic ...tape it over the flash which will cut a the light a little but will ALSO DIFFUSE it's SHARPENESS....shpoud be less jarring to B And all....

Also i try to take photos a little at least right or left od full-faced so the flash dosent hit the eyes so directly.

beli said:
Hay :wave:

I didn't see your thread and I've just pasted the same article in the Rolling Stone thread. Apologies.

Nps beli :)
I was just in the Everything You Know Is Wrong forum and saw that learn2kneel posted a similar article.

I'm with VicksSs, the shades he wore at the Live8 concert made him look even more good-looking :shifty:

I put my finger over the flash of the disposable camera (not the time I had his face in view, I didn't take that, but other shots) I think that takes a lot of out of it but still leaves you some light.

I wonder if he ruined his eyes by wearing the sunglasses all those years? You know they say a mule in a coal mine goes blind from never seeing the light over time. Maybe since he kept on wearing shades for years and years, even indoors, his eyes lost their ability to adjust to light properly:(

U2Kitten said:
I put my finger over the flash of the disposable camera (not the time I had his face in view, I didn't take that, but other shots) I think that takes a lot of out of it but still leaves you some light.

I wonder if he ruined his eyes by wearing the sunglasses all those years? You know they say a mule in a coal mine goes blind from never seeing the light over time. Maybe since he kept on wearing shades for years and years, even indoors, his eyes lost their ability to adjust to light properly:(

that's a an interesting, if sad possibility re the sunglass wearing the decade plus since Zootv time....maybe there was a propensity for a possible conidtion that perhaps the wearing of lots of sunglasses over time...

Oh and Yes...u2k I actually did ....when i could because i had another bag on my arms at times...harder to adjust how you hold the camera........tried to often put my finger around the main part of the flash so the light would go around but not so concentrated.

I actaully asked a couple to yo let me take their phot...either waiting outside of Conan O'Brien or the first friday MSG show..

So i' ll see if there is much noticible difference qwwhen i get my photos back. Poor B :hug:

Back
Top Bottom