Anyone want to help with a paper? ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2morrow

Acrobat
I posted this in "It's a Musical Journey" because I thought it was appropriate there but I what I really wanted was it here in a forum where tons of people visit. If I shouldn't be posting this here let me know and I'll get lost. Otherwise, I could use some help. I am doing a paper on alienation and isolation in Irish Lit and I was wondering if someone can come up with some U2 songs that deal with those themes. Sorry again if this thread is out of place......

Hmmm-I'm not too good at this sort of thing, but off the top of my head...

Like your user name-'Tomorrow'-maybe about isolation?

'Exit' I think could definitely be considered to be about someone alienated from society.

There have to be plenty of others-I just can't think of any right now-hopefully other people on here are smarter than I am.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
Hmmm-I'm not too good at this sort of thing, but off the top of my head...

Like your user name-'Tomorrow'-maybe about isolation?

'Exit' I think could definitely be considered to be about someone alienated from society.

There have to be plenty of others-I just can't think of any right now-hopefully other people on here are smarter than I am.
smile.gif

Thanks Gina!
smile.gif
I'll check those two and keep trying to think of others. Thanks for helping
smile.gif

I'm trying to think of specifics, but the place I'd start is w/ their early work.... and here are a few I think are good too:

I agree w/ Gina - "Exit" fits that topic pretty well...

And "Stranger in a Strange Land" - the title is a giveaway....

"A Day without Me" maybe?

"Wake Up Dead Man" - that is definetly about isolation

Well, that's all I got for now. Hope this helps some
smile.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Arguments could be made for many of their songs; the thing is, however, what kind of alienation/isolation are you talking about? If it's for Irish studies/Irish lit you may want to dig into "old-school"/pre-AB U2 for music that is more specifically coming from an Irish perspective. U2 I think became more universal with Achtung Baby, and that's NOT a bad thing--but AB is of course the fulcrum that U2-ology turns on, and it's important not to neglect that in any critical study of their music.

(Can you tell I'm an English major?)

I Will Follow
Out of Control (a particularly fine example IMHO)
Van Diemen's Land (also good!)
Shadows and Tall Trees
The Refugee (?)
Running to Stand Still

If I were you, I would really pick out either Van Diemen's Land or Out of Control from the list I gave, but you know, I could be wrong and you're liable to get lots of great suggestions. I've done some similar work with writers like E.E. Cummings and Pablo Neruda, so if you'd like some help, don't hesitate to ask.
wink.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by paxetaurora:

(Can you tell I'm an English major?)

Who'd have guessed?
wink.gif

(I dropped the major for a minor but now I want to go back!!!!!!)
Anyway thanks for the suggestions. Gathering from what you said along with the suggestions from everyone else it looks like the earlier stuff would work much better, thanks, all of you, for the help.

There are so many songs to choose from here, like paxetaurora said, depending on your perspective. I took Irish Lit myself--"The Irish Renaissance," taught by this wonderful Irish guy named Jonathan Allison, who of course was a U2 fan...

Anyway, a couple of suggestions:

Johann Georg Kohl was quoted in Desiree Edwards-Rees' Ireland's story as saying over 200 years ago: "It seems as if there were something peculiar in the nature and condition of Ireland that prevents her wounds from ever healing." This is a fabuous lead-in to many songs that speak of alienation or isolation on more than just a personal level: just about everything on War, for example.

Another interesting topic might be to trace the evolution of lyrical references to the Troubles and how the narrator (singer? author?) often turns to religion as a solace in the face of the alienation (bewilderment?) and rage or confusion caused by conflict. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please, Wake up Dead Man, Peace on Earth...

Or you could trace the evolution of the theme of isolation throughout Bono's career, taking each album as a whole:

Boy - teenage angst, loss of mother

October - looking to God for answers; finding any?

War - anger, national conflict, personal conflict

Unforgettable fire - inner turmoil, introspection (a line from Bad is "Isolation, desolation, let it go..."--he's feeling isolated from a friend because of the helplessness he feels in the face of that friend's addiction)

Joshua Tree - the liberation of finding new perspectives? (though there's angst there, too "I want to run, I want to hide.." Still Haven't Found, WOWY, Exit, and even anguish--WOWY, Running to Stand Still)

R&H - uh, well, there's.... someone help me out, here?

Achtung - So Cruel, Acrobat, Ultraviolet, Love is Blindness--things seem to have taken a bitter turn?

Pop - hmmm... references back to themes touched on in earlier albums: Mofo=Boy; If God will send his Angels=October; Please=War; ?=UF--Do you feel loved? Wake up Dead man?; ok, it breaks down there. Pop, I think, sort of acknowledges that the bitter turn taken in AB should be laughed off.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - I think that the feel of Grace sort of sums up Bono's attitude at this point (pre-9/11)--has he accepted or otherwise somehow gotten past his alienation? Seen that his isolation was of his own creation, or a product of his youth (immaturity)?

Uh, how long does this paper have to be?
smile.gif
smile.gif
I could go on all night...

References to check out if you like:
The Irish Renaissance by Richard Fallis ISBN 0-8156-2187-6
Ireland: a concise history, by Maire & Conor Cruise O'Brien, ISBN 0-500-27379-0

I thought I had an anthology of Irish literature, but I'm not seeing it...

Best of luck. You're welcome to email me privately if you like.

--
This desparation.
Dislocation.
Separation.
Condemnation.
Revelation.
In temptation.
Isolation.
Desolation.

Let it go,
And so to fade away.
To let it go,