Anybody know what Morleigh is? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 PM
arw9797

Feel free, go for it. Its a USA thing to answer that question of someones ethnicity by stating their religion. Thats why i jumped in, the answers werent matching the question, imho.

I think USA people say it so often they dont hear how weird it actually sounds to answer that question that way.

And yep, I once worked with a Scottish blond Jew. Ome of my friends is Jewish and shes from Beijing. So yeah, physical appearance is no indication of religion.

ps I still think she has ties to Israel though

Old 08-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #17
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
It's ok Beli, really. She very well could have family in Israel. I know nothing about her other than she's my favorite guitarists wife. I don't really pay attention to her or care to know much about her. I'm a fan of her husband, not her.

I've seen comments in Pleba before about her religion or that they had a Jewish wedding ceremony. Some of the comments around here to that to me sounded like people were just shocked and appalled that Edge would be part of a Jewish wedding ceremony. I normally just let this stuff go because I don't like to have a debate on my computer.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

kewl. i dont read pleba enough to know about the wedding stuff. does sound distasteful.

and dont ever apologise for raising your voice to be heard

i do it all the time
Old 08-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
My name was Greenbaum before it was Hughes. Sorry if I offended.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Sorry if I offended anybody for makin the thread... I was just curious...
Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

if only fym was this sweet and considerate
Old 08-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I dont even know what FYM is
Old 08-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
Beli

I think it's probably a topic better suited for FYM. So many people think if you're Jewish then you're Israeli or if you're Jewish then that's your nationality. It's something I've dealt with my entire life. Religion is honestly the least important thing in my life so I generally stay away from the comments when I see stuff like that but the second I saw the title of this thread I knew what I would find here...that someone would say she's Jewish. My cousin's have blond hair and blue eyes and people question them all the time how they could be Jews because they don't have dark hair.

I'll stop now because I could go on forever and I really hate talking about this kind of stuff and I don't know why I am right now.......

Dude, this response was totally innappropriate. A good friend of mine is Jewish and gets upset when people say it is "only a religion", because she values her Jewish ethnicity. Maybe you don't speak for all Jewish people? In every biographical blurb/interview with Morleigh, she has identified herself as Jewish. That's all we have to go on. So calm down.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:48 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Free Your Mind.

And thanks for stepping in and saying that, arw. To be honest, this thread bothered me a bit, but I didn't know what to say. And not really knowing anything about it, I felt like I should just stay away from it.

And I also think this is something that we shouldn't discuss here at all. I think it goes a bit too far into the band's personal life.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm sorry I just never new... and wanted to know I should've just kept my mouth shut...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:06 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I think its okay to discuss peoples ethnicity.

As anyone who has met me will testjify the first thing out of mouth is usual "What do you do? Where are you from? Are you the one from Argentina? Is Carlos Santana Mexican? etc" lol

Im quite heavily into family history so its of interest to me.

And obviously a few others in this thread can occasionally have the same interest.

Nothing malicous, just plain curiosity. Some people collect spoons, and others collect useless data about who belongs to which clan. Tis harmless.

Discussing someones religion may step on a few toes, especially if their not here to defend themselves. But I dont believe anything offensive has been said here. Just that a few people are Jewish, and a few people are not. Quite harmless.

peace
Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 AM   #27
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drealynn42

Dude, this response was totally innappropriate. A good friend of mine is Jewish and gets upset when people say it is "only a religion", because she values her Jewish ethnicity. Maybe you don't speak for all Jewish people? In every biographical blurb/interview with Morleigh, she has identified herself as Jewish. That's all we have to go on. So calm down.
First of all I'm not a dude so do not call me that. Second of all do not tell me to calm down when I'm not hyped up about anything. Thirdly Morleigh doesn't identify herself in interviews by saying "hi I'm Morleigh and I'm Jewish." The interviewer/journalist throws that in there write up about her/Edge just like every interviewer has to mention the band is Irish. And finally Judaism is a religion not a nationality. If you or your friend think otherwise then you are sadly mistaken.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

As anyone who has met me will testjify the first thing out of mouth is usual Are you the one from Argentina? lol

I think I have heard/ read that phrase a few nights ago *wink wink* lol
Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You're right, Beli. It is okay to discuss ethinicity/religion whatever, and it's a good thing, because we all learn from it.

I didn't explain myself very well last night. I should know by now not to get into a serious discussion late at night when I'm too tired to really explain. I just meant that I think this thread took an inappropriate turn for PLEBA.

Religion is the service and worship of God or the supernatural (depending on what you believe in, of course). Ethinicity is a group of people who share a common triat. You can share an ethinicity without sharing a religion. On my mother's side, my family is from Germany. That side of my family is Jewish. There are plenty of people who are German that are not Jewish. Likewise, there are plenty of Jews who are not German. It doesn't work to just say I'm half Jewish to describe my family's background, and honestly, I perfer it that way. I'm an American, orignially from Ohio and currently living in Virginia. I was not brought up actively practicing Judaism, so I don't see how it describes "what I am" in anyway, even though I do have a Jewish heritage. But that's just me and how I look at it.

Anyway, Who4life, I didn't mean to make you feel bad for asking questions. As Beli said, nothing wrong with it. And as she also pointed out, discussing relgion will usually step on a few toes.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 10:46 AM
The reason ppl think of Jewish as a nationality is that we learn in church that the Jewish people were a nation, a people, God's chosen people, tribles of Israel, etc and somehow they, like every other ethnicity, ended up all over the world. So even if you are in the states and are from an old Jewish family that didn't convert recently like Tom Arnold there is a chance you're related to those people in the Bible. But I do think it's the Bible stories that make people think of Jews as a distinct ethnicity, and I don't think it's ever meant to be an insult at all.