Another timezone, another place... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Another timezone, another place...

Greetings PLEBAns!

I thought I would start this thread so I could check in when I had a chance as I travel about the place, rather than try to pop in and out of the PGP and miss people.

This is the first time I've been able to get online since we left Australia (I've just had to change my timezone settings, it was getting confusing ), so I wanted to let you all know that I'm alive and having a fabulous time. Wild and Jem, and any other UK PLEBAns, you have a beautiful country here! I've only been in the south of England so far, spent the first week in and around Brighton, a couple of days in Axminster, and today I've arrived in Cornwall. I'm off to Glasgow on Tuesday to check out the northern end of things

We had pretty good weather in Australia the day we left (for winter, at least), and we seem to have brought it with us - everywhere I've been, it's been warm and sunny every day. Everything is blooming and every square inch of the place is covered with five kinds of vegetation, or else dozens of lego houses or terrace houses or tiny twisty streets that must be bigger than they look cos bloody great double-decker buses whizz down them at alarming speeds.
I was in Lyme Regis yesterday, which is well known amongst palaeontology nerds as a great place for fossils... the tides were all wrong to go on an organised fossil hunting trip, but I made my own way along Monmouth beach and might have found a little faint fossil.

Anyway, I'd better shove off and go and talk to my gracious hosts I'll try to upload some photos soon, I've taken about 200 so far

ZOMG I can't believe I'm in England

Old 08-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 PM

OMG it's so great to hear from you!! You're making me green with envy with your travel stories! Have an awesome time and keep in touch!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Yes, keep us posted on all the trouble you get into
Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Trouble? Moi??

Then again, I am in the same country as Wild... I wonder how far her area of influence extends...

I forgot to say, I hope you're all well! I won't have time to read all the threads, so for anyone who needs it ...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 PM
.....the old trick doesn't work in Pleba...we know you far too well!!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, everyone here is convinced I'm descended from convicts (not true, as far as I know), so I might as well be

Okay, really need to pry myself off the blue crack now...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Hope your travels just keep getting better! Can't wait to see your pictures
Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Hey Ali! Glad you're having a great time!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Hi Ali. I'm glad you're enjoying our little country. It's a sweet little place (mostly). And as for Lyme Regis... I am totally in love with that place. Apparently a few famous writers have stayed/lived there. I think Oscar Wilde visited and I believe Jane Austen lived there. It's quaint and little and I'd love to live there.

Cornwall is very pretty too. Alas I don't see enough of my country. (Hubby likes his garden...pfft...how OLD is that!!) Anyways, have a good time. keep us informed with your visits and I look forward to your photos... x
Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Hey, Ali so you're visiting my old homeland? Will you be going to any of the home counties? I used to live in Bletchley, just a few miles away from the Milton Keynes Bowl. Sounds like your having a great time, look forward to seeing all your pics!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
OMG ALI !!! so great to hear from you , and im glad the weather is great !! miss ya
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 12:02 PM
yaay Ali, sounds like you're havin fun Have fun in Glasgow, hope you can understand what they're saying.
don't do anything I wouldn't, or at least don't get caught.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Ali, you know that you are the envy of many, many of us, do you not? One of my dreams is to get to England, Ireland, and Scotland (the homes of my ancesters) some day. I have to admit that I was flabbergasted when I learned that the whole of England is about the size of Indiana, the state in the U.S. where I live.

Someday . . . .
Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Oh this is too cool! Thanks for making us very jealous
Hope you keep having a fantastic time and yes we can't wait to see pics... I always wanted to visit Scotland, and Ireland too. LUCKY!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by youvedonewhat
And as for Lyme Regis... I am totally in love with that place. Apparently a few famous writers have stayed/lived there. I think Oscar Wilde visited and I believe Jane Austen lived there. It's quaint and little and I'd love to live there.
I'm not sure about Oscar Wilde, although I wouldn't be surprised if he'd gone there, Lyme Regis has apparently been quite the popular holiday destination for hundreds of years. Jane Austen did stay there for a while though, I saw that on one of those information board things. I was mostly there for the fossils...

hcbiggs, I'm not quite sure what the "home counties" are (and I just learned that the @ and the " are in different places on UK keyboards)... I've been to Sussex, Dorset and Cornwall so far, and will also go to Gloucestershire. I'll be seeing Stonehenge too (and Bath), while staying in Gloucester.

I've heard that the Glaswegian accent can be challenging... the person I know who lives near Glasgow seems okay, and I can usually understand Billy Connolly, but I'm sure his "public" accent is easier to understand than that of most Glaswegians

MsPurrl: yeah, England is kinda tiny, but everything is so packed in here. I dunno how densely populated Indiana is, but England has many times the population of Australia, but only a fraction of the land area... they're very economical with what space they do have in England! And yet, there are still large stretches of moor with no one living there. It's kinda bizarre... but some of the roads we went on today were unbelievably narrow. I was supposed to be navigating, but with all these twisty little lanes meeting at weird angles, I got a wee bit confused and we accidentally took the scenic route. I did get to see Dozmary Pool, which, according to legend, is where the Lady of the Lake emerged from to give Excalibur to Arther. And to complete the Arthurian theme, we're off to see Tintagel tomorrow. (Well, later today, it is getting on a bit!)

I've been trying to upload some pics, but either Photobucket or this net connection isn't co-operating at the moment. I won't bore you with all the pics of rocks and bumble bees and pillar boxes (it's funny what little things you get all excited about )

Ooh, I went down the infamous Helter Skelter on Brighton Pier while I was there... How could I not?

I'm sorry I'm making people jealous...