Another Lawsuit for Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Another Lawsuit for Bono

longingforBono said:
I was just going to say I am sure they own a ladder- be it a step or an extension. Something smells like Irish salmon here to me.

:yes: I wouldn't know unless I saw it, but the "platform of stones" sounds more decorative than functional to me; something you might put a small potted plant on, but nothing heavier. Somehow, I don't think the Hewsons, with four children and more than enough money to hire a competent landscape designer, would put up shaky structures meant for standing on in their garden.

Now, if she were standing on something that is meant to be stood on -- say, the porch -- and it gave way, then she'd have a case. But this just sounds very strange.

This is all my own speculation, of course.

Re: Re: Re: Another Lawsuit for Bono

longingforBono said:

This article did Bono and Ali a real disservice though by telling everyone exactly where to find their home. No wonder they run to France as much as they do- no one can find them there.

Talk about divulging personal information. Maybe a mod should remove the details of the home location out of respect for their privacy. I have never posted certain pictures of his house that I have for the simple fact that they would tell everyone and their brother where to find them and not everyone has respect for them. Some people are too obsessed.

I think pretty much everyone that posts regularly here knows where they live already. Plus, through the years, there've been numerous articles about their home (especially when they wanted to build that extension, got denied, kept trying, yadda yadda). I know there's even tours in Dublin that drive you past Bono's house.

Their home in France is even easier to find, lol.

As for using rocks as a platform, I agree, kinda shady, but then I think of all the supid things I've done at home or at work, just simply shortcuts I've never thought twice about. Everyone makes mistakes. Also, we hardly know any details. Maybe she asked Bono if he had a stepladder and he said she could stand on the rocks? Or maybe the stone platform WAS for standing on anyway? Who knows. Either way, it wasn't safe, she got injured, and now Bono's paying up. Not a big deal.

Oh, for goodness' sakes! You can't work in a garden without having accidents! I've sprained my ankle in mine. Did I blame the people who planted the garden? No.

I have to say, poor as I am, I wouldn't sue over something like this. Unless he blatantly came outside and pushed me, or kicked my ass, I wouldn't do that to a person, rich or not. It's this kind of lawsuit that causes EVERYONE'S insurance to go up, and makes people so afraid and distrusting of everyone around them as some potential lawsuit. There's already too much of that.

When I'm at work, I'm often too lazy to get a stepladder in the stockroom, so I climb the shelves. This is a REALLY bad idea because they're on wheels, they're not exactly sturdy, and they're not meant for ladder purposes. If I fell off the shelves and got hurt, it's not my company's fault that I was too lazy to get a ladder; I wouldn't go and sue them.

Re: my original post here, since someone asked...Okay, I DON'T know whether or not someone told her to go stand on the unstable platform of rocks. :shrug: This just sounds like almost every other personal injury case in the world.

U2Kitten said:
I have to say, poor as I am, I wouldn't sue over something like this. Unless he blatantly came outside and pushed me, or kicked my ass, I wouldn't do that to a person, rich or not. It's this kind of lawsuit that causes EVERYONE'S insurance to go up, and makes people so afraid and distrusting of everyone around them as some potential lawsuit. There's already too much of that.

True, but this is what insurance is for. Why have it otherwise? A case as simple as this is something Bono really wouldn't need to even think about or spend any time on. It's just one person's insurance company holding the other person's insurance company accountable. It happens everyday to normal people of any social class. There's nothing personal about it.

I know someone my age who got sued b/c she rear-ended a car and the lady inside was very pregnant and suffered a miscarriage as a result. The girl got "sued" because the woman in the other car couldn't cover medical costs for an injury that someone else caused. Again, it was one insurance company against the other and the girl I know didn't have any real involvement other than showing up in court to give her acocunt of the accident (which she knew she was responsible for).

*sticks head up out of law text* she does have a case for negligence since it's the homeowners duty to make sure that there's a safe working environment for their employees. why did she decided to stand on a pile of stones instead of a latter? probably for the same reason I climb the shelves or stand on empty ice cream buckets at my summer job when I need something that's up high. is it unsafe? yeah, but if she'd just fallen and bruised her arm I'm sure she wouldn't have sued, it was probably to cover medical costs (as people have said above).

the only part of this whole thing that I have trouble believing is that a dislocated shoulder was a career ending injury. I play hockey, I've disslocated my shoulder before and it really, really hurt but it's fine now. so me thinks that she had to do more then disslocate her shoulder to end her career, but that's just my opinion. *dissapears back behind law text and resumes studying for evil midterm*

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Lawsuit for Bono

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think pretty much everyone that posts regularly here knows where they live already. Plus, through the years, there've been numerous articles about their home (especially when they wanted to build that extension, got denied, kept trying, yadda yadda). I know there's even tours in Dublin that drive you past Bono's house.

Their home in France is even easier to find, lol.

Possibly. I for one do not know where their home in France is, and considering my husband will DIE before he is willing to take me to France for anything I probably don't ever need to know where it is specifically. However someone can always tell me just in case, especially since no one thinks it's much worth keeping quiet about!
However with that said, I still think that when people consider it private and priviledged information regarding the HOTELS they stay in that their HOMES, ADDRESSES and basically DIRECTIONS to those homes should be private and priviledged as well.

When they are at HOME, their families are there and they are not on the job. That is the time to leave them alone. Yeah maybe drive by and have a look, snap a photo to show you were there, whatever. Unfortunately some people are not satisfied with that and write all over his walls, tear limbs off his trees, try to climb the gates, whatever. That to me is not right and not cool at all.

And the only reason I know were any of them live is because I used to live in Ireland and sooner or later someone tells you when they know you aren't a nutter and can be trusted to behave yourself.

Last edited:
okay... I'm almost never in here... but this one got me royally pissed off.

I've been a professional landscape contractor for over 15 years; my college degree is in Landscape Construction. I owned my own business up til 2004.

I also had a complete dislocation of my right shoulder in the mid-1990s, requiring a full surgical rebuild and almost a year of physical rehabilitation.
I'm right-handed. There are to this day several sets of screws holding my shoulder together. I'll never regain full range of use of it and I throw like a three year old.

Yes, it fucking hurt. The whole "learning how to use my arm again" thing wasn't any fun either. I once kicked my physical therapist in the middle of a stretching session thanks to the pain. (She forgave me.....eventually)

So perhaps out of all of you responding in this thread, I think I'm the only one who can honestly say "Been there, Done That" to this entire situation.

I'm aware that by Irish law she's entitled to sue; however having been through it myself albeit by US law, it's normally handled through one's HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE POLICY -- This woman had absolutely no reason to sue, none whatsoever besides greed or some sense of personal vendetta.

This could have been settled via mediation, or maybe even oh I dunno *TALKING TO THE COUPLE* and asking if something could have been worked out.
There. Is. Absolutely no reason to invoke a lawyer and involve the courts if she had no ulterior motivation.

That's why it disgusts me.

Of course the payout isn't gonna impact him or his family. It's the public notoriety bullshit that pisses me off.. "Ooooh their ex-hired help is suing!!"

And the saddest part is, barring the existence of some details we may not be aware of regarding other tensions or grievances between the couple and this woman; had she gone about it reasonably, she probably could have gotten a lot more help from them.

Come on. Can you, any of you, honestly see Bono and Ali turning someone out on their arse into hardship when it's related to them and their business?? Would either of them want something like this to get out to spatter Edun, or DATA or ONE or MPH or Ali's constant effort against Sellafield?

Something's rotten here and it's not the fertilizer in Bono's back gardens.

wolfe

Originally posted by LivLuv
True, but this is what insurance is for. Why have it otherwise? A case as simple as this is something Bono really wouldn't need to even think about or spend any time on. It's just one person's insurance company holding the other person's insurance company accountable. It happens everyday to normal people of any social class. There's nothing personal about it.

If that were true, I'd agree, but I don't think that's the way it is, she seems to want to go after Bono personally instead of just his insurance, and wants the notoriety, as Wolf's post here brings up:

Originally posted by wolfeden

I'm aware that by Irish law she's entitled to sue; however having been through it myself albeit by US law, it's normally handled through one's HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE POLICY -- This woman had absolutely no reason to sue, none whatsoever besides greed or some sense of personal vendetta.

That's why it disgusts me.

Of course the payout isn't gonna impact him or his family. It's the public notoriety bullshit that pisses me off.. "Ooooh their ex-hired help is suing!!"

wolfe

They could have handled this quietly and privately, but she didn't want it that way:(

U2Kitten said:

They could have handled this quietly and privately, but she didn't want it that way:(

It was settled. :huh:

Vincent Scallan, counsel for Ms O'Donovan, told the Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Matthew Deery, that the claim had been settled and could be struck out.

I just cannot believe how stupid some people are that work for celebrities....they will do just about anything to collect and take advantage of their employers. And to drag something into the public eye is even more ridiculous. :madspit:

Carek1230 said:
I just cannot believe how stupid some people are that work for celebrities....they will do just about anything to collect and take advantage of their employers. And to drag something into the public eye is even more ridiculous. :madspit:

I'm not condoning any of her actions, but 1) the original post doesn't even cite where the article is from and 2) there's not even any quotes from this woman or any sort of evidence of her dragging the issue into the public eye. Also, the incident happened in 1999 and judging by the responses in this thread, no one knew about it until know, they weren't exactly duking it out in public. Sounds more to me like some reporter got word of the settlement and had nothing better to write about on a slow news day.

Now, Lola Cashman = dragging an issue into the public eye!

From a legal standpoint, this is a pretty cookie-cutter negligence case. If you guys think THIS sounds like one person out to get another....you should read some of the case studies we did in Business Law. For example, one woman sued the Arthur Murray dance chain b/c either Murray himself or someone from that company told her she had potential to be a good dancer or something like that. So the woman spends tens of thousands on dance lessons, ends up sucking, and SUES Arthur Murray b/c she didn't make the cut for some famous dance company. :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom