An amazing DVD/ Potential Screen Captures Galore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopDaisy

Acrobat
I was up till 11 last night watching this amazing DVD I got in the mail off half.com:

?From a Whisper to a Scream? ? it?s the history of Irish music since the ?50s. It was a music documentary aired on RTE

Reasons to love this DVD:

1. Bono commentary
2. Edge commentary
3. Gavin commentary (and may I say to the Gavin girls -- You are right!)
4. Paul Mc commentary
5. Short bios of all the people on our Greatest Irish Bands cd
6. Virgin Prunes performance clip
7. U2 Live Aid performance clip
8. Bono says f**k several times without the media police coming after him
9. Bob Geldolf shaggy, adorable and incredibly insightful & articulate
10. Clips of a shaggy, adorable Bono from the Clannad song video.
11. Clips of B. dressed up in some punky outfit fronting the baby band doing some number I don?t know
12. Another clip of the baby band doing some number I don?t know
13. Bono flips the finger during some Pop gig, and wears some bizarre outfit with circles on it
14. Realizing again what a beautiful face Sinead O?Connor really has
15. Bono giving Adam credit for believing in the band
16. A ?Larry Mullen? credit in the acknowledgements for some unknown artifacts
17. The legend that is Van Morrison
18. Feeding my love of trad music
19. Clip of U2 meeting Hume and Trimble, with Bono giving Ash most of the credit for the event.
20. Significant coverage of Rory Gallagher and Philip Lynott, RIP

I've been lurking, more or less, in here for about a year and haven't seen any of these posted... Can some technically astute PLEBAN interested in this program do some lovely screen captures?

Peace & Love,
PopDaisy

I've seen that, it is a stills goldmine, I thought of that too! I think I have seen some, like Life on a Distant Planet. That's my favorite! Some great rare early footage!

Oh man...it's that good? I've seen that on Amazon several times but I never got it because I think they promote it with Sinead O'Connor pics (who I do like, but I don't want a DVD of her). So there's a lot of U2 footage eh? *eyes credit card* ;)

I think the Band Aid comments were among my favorite parts.

Geldolf mentions Bono hating one line of "Do They Know It's Christmas" because it smacked of "better them than me." Then of all things, that's the one line that was left for Bono to sing after the others had already been recorded. The result was that Bono used his voice to convey just the right tone of anger and irony to perfection and that's the line that stood out for Geldof ever afterwards.

Then Bono said that he and Geldolf had had a running debate concerning God and religion, and that Bob had been quite bitter about his Catholic upbringing. With his patented Bono smirk, he said that after completing "Do They Know It's Christmas," he told Geldof, "Bob, you've written a hymn." To which he mimicks Geldolf responding, "F*** off."

:D ;)

PopDaisy said:
I think the Band Aid comments were among my favorite parts.

Geldolf mentions Bono hating one line of "Do They Know It's Christmas" because it smacked of "better them than me." Then of all things, that's the one line that was left for Bono to sing after the others had already been recorded. The result was that Bono used his voice to convey just the right tone of anger and irony to perfection and that's the line that stood out for Geldof ever afterwards.

Then Bono said that he and Geldolf had had a running debate concerning God and religion, and that Bob had been quite bitter about his Catholic upbringing. With his patented Bono smirk, he said that after completing "Do They Know It's Christmas," he told Geldof, "Bob, you've written a hymn." To which he mimicks Geldolf responding, "F*** off."

:D ;)

I missed that part, maybe they edited that when it was on Bravo :reject:

*joins neutral in eyeing of credit card*

:hmm: I never thought to make stills from it....

I have this dvd and I absolutely love it! I forced myself to watch the whole thing when I first got it instead of trying to find Bono and Edge's interviews and then the footage on U2. I thought it was really interesting. There's another documentary out about Irish music but it sort of looks like it's the same thing with a different name. I was going to see if I could track it down at the library since they usually have a pretty good selection of this type of stuff.

arw9797 said:

I There's another documentary out about Irish music but it sort of looks like it's the same thing with a different name. I was going to see if I could track it down at the library since they usually have a pretty good selection of this type of stuff.

I think it is the same thing, according to amazon.com. They list "From a Whisper to a Scream" as out of stock, but they have "Out of Ireland - The Hit Songs & Artists of Irish Music (From a Whisper to a Scream)" One of the reviews says it is the same program with different packaging :)

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

I think it is the same thing, according to amazon.com. They list "From a Whisper to a Scream" as out of stock, but they have "Out of Ireland - The Hit Songs & Artists of Irish Music (From a Whisper to a Scream)" One of the reviews says it is the same program with different packaging :)

thanks for the info! I figured it was probably similar.

PopDaisy said:
12. Another clip of the baby band doing some number I don?t know

I'm pretty sure you mean A Celebration. There's about five seconds of the clip of that. I'd never heard the song before this documentary was broadcast on Australian TV, and the second it came on, I thought "That's A Celebration, it has to be!" and I was all excited. Needless to say, within a couple of days, I'd frantically tracked down a copy of the whole song.

I have most of this documentary on tape from recording it off TV, but I really need the DVD. It makes for fascinating viewing. I like all the U2 praising that goes on.

kellyahern said:

I was just looking on amazon, trying to figure out the difference. I hope it's the same. I've never seen it, but it sounds like it would be really good, and I wouldn't want to get the wrong thing.

Re: Re: An amazing DVD/ Potential Screen Captures Galore

Axver said:

I'm pretty sure you mean A Celebration. There's about five seconds of the clip of that.

Thanks -- You're quite right, I compared the few lines I remembered from that clip with a lyrics page. Thanks also to the other person identifying the other clip as "Distant Planet".

:yes: :)

Back
Top Bottom