am i looked down upon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2bonogirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Back on the blue crack after a long break
this might be strange but i was thinking about what people say about europeans thinking down upon americans. im an american and this kinda hurts because im nothing of what some europeans say americans are like selfish and greedy and the like. so i was wondering if because im an american im looked down on my the european plebans? and be honest, what do you think when you think about america. that would be your view on me too because i am nothing but a face in the U.S. crowd to you

There's nothing in your information that indicates you are American, so no one would make any assumptions.
Personally, I feel I can be strongly against American political policy and actions taken on the world stage, but I would never say that ALL Americans were responsible for that, or that they were all the same. Yes, I suppose there are some national traits, but it is too easy to turn those into negative stereotypes.
I would base my opinion of you here on what you say, and I am sure others here would do the same.

i was making a general statement about me like, almost for all american plebans. is the general opinion on any of us like that? that americans are pushy brats?
about myself: im glad for my freedom in america BUT i dont agree with the way a lot of us are. i feel that a lot of us are closed minded and racist/prejudiced. it makes me feel sad that there are people who laugh at americans getting killed....i would never do that to the french, or english, or even an iraqi.
by the way, what are the "national traits" that you were thinking of. im curious.

National traits? I guess a certain brashness, strong confidence, love of country. I know when I go to the States I am always amazed by the number of American flags EVERYWHERE. I'll mull this over some more and get back to you.

by the way, feel free to e mail me if you wanna.
oh and where are you from?
this is really interesting hearing what others feel about my country first hand. you hear it on the news and stuff but gosh. anyway, thanks for being honest. anybody else have an opinion??

biff said:
Personally, I feel I can be strongly against American political policy and actions taken on the world stage, but I would never say that ALL Americans were responsible for that, or that they were all the same. Yes, I suppose there are some national traits, but it is too easy to turn those into negative stereotypes.
I would base my opinion of you here on what you say, and I am sure others here would do the same.

:yes: - exactly!

I like the fact that America is not as much a country as it is an idea - the idea of freedom.

The relationship between Europe and America has had (and will have) it's up's and down's, but I remember one thing President Clinton said when he visited my country: "It is said that every Dane has a relative in America. Today, I can tell you, all Americans know they have a friend in Denmark" - I hope and believe that it will be this way again - and not just regarding Denmark, but all of Europe as well! :yes:

...and yes, I have relatives in America! :laugh:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I have always found the European PLEBAns to be very nice :happy: :hug:

Thank you! :hug:

... but U2-fans are in general very nice people! :wink:

I love America the Idea, but America the Country right now is really starting to piss me off. Being that I AM an American, though, I start from the assumption that we're all nice people (no matter what nationality) and go from there :yes:

it seems that people here are a lot more accepting of each other than other places. one thing that makes me mad is my dad bashing french people. arg. has he even MET somebody from france????
i wish we could all just be friends all over the place, but that is just an unfounded wish.
i know a lot of people dont like our president and that reflects on the citiznes of the US. but there are very different types of americans, i can tell you that. some are warlike, some are gentle and mannerly, and some like starbucks a lot

a note to add, i was having dinner with some people and they were talking politics and war and all that crap. one guy really grossed me out. they were saying what should be done about the "situation" in iraq and he was like, do what they did to the fuckin japs, nuke the fuckers! i wanted to throw up at that kind of attitude. people saying that makes me want to shove their head up their ass sometimes. im ashamed to know that its a very american attitude too. i dunno, maybe i was meant to be born someplace more tolerant

Back
Top Bottom