Ali's new skincare line.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hehe...

what I found most interesting is that nearly all the expensive cosmetic/skin care products are aimed to "anti-aging" and prevent wrinkles.

And now we fight it with organic/natural products.

But....

Is wrinkle natural?

vm72 said:
By the way, I just want to enquire is the article in the July or August issue of Harpers Bazaar? Coz I found the July issue of if at my usual newsagents (where I also bought the Vanity Fair magazine) but I couldn't find the article you mentioned in it.

It really would be very helpful that when anyone posts info about up and coming or new magazines of U2 interest, that you tell us the actual month or date of the issue! Coz what might be 'the latest' issue in your part of the world usually doesn't show up until a month later here in Europe and the rest of the world!!

Last edited by hcbiggs2002 on 06-30-2007 at 05:50 PM

Sorry guys, it was the June issue......however, I did mention Christy Turlington was on the cover................

vm72

Thanks for the info! I probably won't find the June issue any more coz the July issue of Harpers Bazaar was already on sale. :shrug:

And as for Christy being on the cover, saying that doesn't help me much coz unfortunately, I find it next the impossible to tell the difference between these super model type women, they're all so generic, i.e. tall and thin with perfect bone structure, skin and hair etc!! :rolleyes:

Oh and a little tip vm72, if you want to quote someone, all you need to do is press the 'quote' button on the bottom right of the post you wish the quote! :wink:

I would love to know how much it costs to buy these products. :ohmy:

I couldn't find any info on that on the website. I've got to watch my money. :wink:

I think some people wrinkle prematurely due to genetics just like when you see some 20 somethings with thin or grey hair.:hmm:

So I am all for anti -wrinkle cream I think it is more of a preventitive treatment. But, HELL to the NO on plastic surgery!:no:

Jamila said:
I would love to know how much it costs to buy these products. :ohmy:

I couldn't find any info on that on the website. I've got to watch my money. :wink:

Every product on there has a price right on the same page.

Liesje said:

Every product on there has a price right on the same page.

I thought the prices were pretty much in line with what I'd expect for similar products. These are for the high-end skincare/beauty market, they aren't going to be something you'll get at Walgreens, but they weren't outrageously expensive either. It's that $50 shipping to the US that's :yikes:

love2bmama said:

I thought the prices were pretty much in line with what I'd expect for similar products. These are for the high-end skincare/beauty market, they aren't going to be something you'll get at Walgreens, but they weren't outrageously expensive either. It's that $50 shipping to the US that's :yikes:

Yep, I agree. With Edun in mind, I was pleasantly surprised at the pricing, but alas, I'm happy enough with my $3 face wash so I'll pass on the $50 shipping.

Liesje said:

Yep, I agree. With Edun in mind, I was pleasantly surprised at the pricing, but alas, I'm happy enough with my $3 face wash so I'll pass on the $50 shipping.

:yes: yeah, I guess I was probably expecting really high prices because of Edun and knowing that there is a super high-end niche market for skincare. These seem pretty reasonably priced, assuming they work!

The thing is, it's so hard to know. A lot of women know what products or ingredients work with their skin and what does not, so the idea of leaving all of that knowledge behind and trying out something totally new, something that may work wonderfully for some people but leave others with horrible breakout or rash, it's kind of scary. Just because something is organic doesn't mean it won't clog up your pores or make you breakout or turn red or something.

I definitely like to research and try new products before I commit to buying a full size bottle at full price, so I'm looking forward to these getting out in the market and getting used, and maybe getting some feedback.

love2bmama said:

The thing is, it's so hard to know. A lot of women know what products or ingredients work with their skin and what does not, so the idea of leaving all of that knowledge behind and trying out something totally new, something that may work wonderfully for some people but leave others with horrible breakout or rash, it's kind of scary. Just because something is organic doesn't mean it won't clog up your pores or make you breakout or turn red or something.

Oh totally! There are cheap bars of regular body soap that have done a better job of gently cleaning my skin than a lot of facial cleansers I've tried. I've always had skin that's either too oily or too dry and always had some touches of mild acne, so it's literally taken me a decade to find a line of products within my budget that work for me. I'm all for Ali's new products, but like 20 euro plus 50 shipping for something that might make me break out in a red rash....nuh uh!

Do you see a different site to me, the prices are in pounds sterling, not euros. And 54 quid for a moisturiser, which works out to about $130 Aust dollars is a bit steep. :huh:

blueeyedgirl said:
Do you see a different site to me, the prices are in pounds sterling, not euros. And 54 quid for a moisturiser, which works out to about $130 Aust dollars is a bit steep. :huh:

No, I'm sure you're right. I was on my laptop last night, which is very small, plus everything on that site looked very small and I could barely read the words let alone symbols. Yeah it's GBP and now I can actually read their text on this comp!

Hmmm, yeah less than 2 fluid oz for USD108...won't be seeing my business any time soon!

Currently, I'm very happy with my moisturing milk, cost me ¥9.50, which is about US$1.23 for a 50ml bottle.

:wink:

Carmelu2fan said:
I think some people wrinkle prematurely due to genetics just like when you see some 20 somethings with thin or grey hair.:hmm:

So I am all for anti -wrinkle cream I think it is more of a preventitive treatment. But, HELL to the NO on plastic surgery!:no:

I'm not a biochemistist, but generally speaking these anti-wrinkle cream works by increase the speed that new skin cells replacing the old one by providing them with rich nutrition.

In long term, it will not change the fate that wrinkle would eventually appear. Just like putting sugar in the water that hold cutted flowers, it can help the flower last a little bit longer, but the end are always the same.

So personally, I don't value these things as much as normal balancing/moisturing products. Maybe I would change my mind when I was 40 something or older....

blueeyedgirl said:

Maybe that is why I couldn't find the prices, blueeyedgirl - they were too steep for me to even think about buying any of these products. :laugh:

Also, with as busy as I am nowadays with learning how to set up a website for my friend's AIDS group in Africa, I really don't spend a lot of free time on the web.

Thanks for all the info. :up:

Jamila said:

Also, with as busy as I am nowadays with learning how to set up a website for my friend's AIDS group in Africa, I really don't spend a lot of free time on the web.

Well, if you need any help, PM me! Setting up and maintaining websites for non-profits is my second job (and sometimes takes more time and effort than my full time job).

Thanks for posting the scan and Link :D Ali looks so beautiful :D

Those skin care products are so expensive.

Liesje said:

No, I'm sure you're right. I was on my laptop last night, which is very small, plus everything on that site looked very small and I could barely read the words let alone symbols. Yeah it's GBP and now I can actually read their text on this comp!

Hmmm, yeah less than 2 fluid oz for USD108...won't be seeing my business any time soon!

oh wow, I think I thought their prices were in euros, too. :ohmy:

Jamila said:

Maybe that is why I couldn't find the prices, blueeyedgirl - they were too steep for me to even think about buying any of these products. :laugh:

Thanks for all the info. :up:

Liesje, I wish that I could rely on the help of others for this but I just can't.

I think once this venture is up and running that people will understand my virtual silence right now on this really amazing project.

But y'all know me - I'm the person who has problems with Photobucket and yet I've taken on this project.:sexywink:

So to learn how to set up and properly maintain a web page (especially for a npo), I have enrolled in a course at the local community college. The six week course starts in Aug and the website will be available by the end of Sept.

I'm very excited and very honored to have been asked to do this for some very cool people.

Thanks for your offer of help. :bonodrum: :hi5:

butter7 said:
Good luck for your course!

Thanks, butter7 - I'll need it.

But I'm really determined to succeed for these folks so I know that I'll do just fine.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:

So to learn how to set up and properly maintain a web page (especially for a npo), I have enrolled in a course at the local community college. The six week course starts in Aug and the website will be available by the end of Sept.

That's a great start, good on you for taking initiative. If confidentiality is an issue (not that pro web designers break confidentiality), you can buy builds/templates and then edit them yourself rather than starting from scratch. It will takes much more than a single six week course to learn several new languages (trust me, I've been doing this every day for the past....10 years) and I've seen some non-profits purchasing and working with some really cool templates that they bought b/c they don't have the time or the money to purchase the right software and learn how to use it. Don't waste too much time on web design b/c it will take away precious time and manpower from the initiative itself.

Liesje said:

Don't waste too much time on web design b/c it will take away precious time and manpower from the initiative itself.

This is very true.

I spend 12 weeks in one uni subject on web designing only to figure out that table, which we been taught on class, was out of date. :| And I'll have to learn div+css method by myself.

Another one month for photoshop just to understand the basic elements and the way it works. After that I faced the bottle neck of not having any art background. :huh:

Right after I think I'd be able to do some basic photo editing on photoshop, I found out that fireworks is the better tool to use if I want to use dreamwaver as my editor, and I wouldn't be able to use fireworks as I never used it before. :mad:

But all these only gives me a plain web page. To be able to get some interactive web page, the current fashion is to do it on flash base, which makes it double complex and I don't have much knowledge on Javascript either....:(

And all these, only the amout of time that matters, I didn't count the cost of buying these softwares, as I got them from the internet.:|

And the best part is that you spend days and night on the template page, and found out IE or Firefox or some one of the commenly used web browser couldn't display it the way you wanted it to...

I fainted when this happened.

and initially I was only wanted to design a new template for my blog.

butter7 said:

This is very true.

I spend 12 weeks in one uni subject on web designing only to figure out that table, which we been taught on class, was out of date. :| And I'll have to learn div+css method by myself.

Another one month for photoshop just to understand the basic elements and the way it works. After that I faced the bottle neck of not having any art background. :huh:

Right after I think I'd be able to do some basic photo editing on photoshop, I found out that fireworks is the better tool to use if I want to use dreamwaver as my editor, and I wouldn't be able to use fireworks as I never used it before. :mad:

But all these only gives me a plain web page. To be able to get some interactive web page, the current fashion is to do it on flash base, which makes it double complex and I don't have much knowledge on Javascript either....:(

And all these, only the amout of time that matters, I didn't count the cost of buying these softwares, as I got them from the internet.:|

And the best part is that you spend days and night on the template page, and found out IE or Firefox or some one of the commenly used web browser couldn't display it the way you wanted it to...

I fainted when this happened.

and initially I was only wanted to design a new template for my blog.

Yep, that's how it goes! Sometimes I want to pull my hair out, but I can't quit b/c its my job. I have a good friend that's amazing at writing various codes and scripts, so often I just trade things like buy him lunch for a script, hehe. Tables are "out of date", but I still use them a LOT b/c that's how we learned like 7 years ago and it's just faster for me to write that code then mess around with div. CSS is my best friend though. It's hard work, not something that will happen overnight. You can't become a CPA or an RN or an MBA after a few six week courses either.

Liesje said:

Well, if you need any help, PM me! Setting up and maintaining websites for non-profits is my second job (and sometimes takes more time and effort than my full time job).

Hi Liesje,

Do you only set up non-profit websites?

Val
Ps I'm waiting to hear back from my artist about the photo.

Val said:

Hi Liesje,

Do you only set up non-profit websites?

Val
Ps I'm waiting to hear back from my artist about the photo.

No, I do everything, I just try to keep a limit so I don't get behind. I'm just finishing up a project for a non-profit initiative (it was like a campaign for a one-time event, which is nice b/c now once I've published their final documents and photo galleries, my part is done). I've done personal sites, blogs, non-profits, and for-profits. I like doing non-profits b/c web design and maintenance can be so much work but when it's for a good cause, I feel better about it, even when I'm not getting paid (but they typically give me a gift or a bonus when it's done). Also, with non-profits, the people typically have NO idea what they are doing, so we don't butt heads as much as I have doing for-profits.

Liesje said:

That's a great start, good on you for taking initiative. If confidentiality is an issue (not that pro web designers break confidentiality), you can buy builds/templates and then edit them yourself rather than starting from scratch. It will takes much more than a single six week course to learn several new languages (trust me, I've been doing this every day for the past....10 years) and I've seen some non-profits purchasing and working with some really cool templates that they bought b/c they don't have the time or the money to purchase the right software and learn how to use it. Don't waste too much time on web design b/c it will take away precious time and manpower from the initiative itself.

Thanks butter7 and Liesje for all your helpfuls insights into this project.

I don't know whether to be excited now or a bit overwhelmed. I guess a little bit of both is healthy. :wink:

I just got done registering the domain name tonight and securing it.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge. :yes:

A lot of the local TV channels here in TZ have a lot of programs on AIDS awareness, research, statistics, etc. If I could, I'd record but I dunno how. :reject:

That would be a nice addition to your website Jamila... straight from the horses mouth. :D

Back
Top Bottom